Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Fending Off Gangs (Opinion)

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ ... 387005.htm
    Posted on Mon, Dec. 12, 2005

Fending off gangs
    More help from parents, community needed for this fight

If the lament of residents of Hidden Valley, a once-solid working class neighborhood now besieged with gang activity, isn't enough of a wake-up call, consider these statistics. Through July 11, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police think gang members were responsible for a rape, four homicides, 17 robberies, 40 aggravated assaults and 189 cases of vandalism or damage to property.

Does Charlotte-Mecklenburg have a gang problem? Yes.

Police have identified 71 gangs, the Observer's Melissa Manware reported last week. Among them are names readily recognizable nationally -- MS 13, Kings, Crips and the Bloods. But for residents in the Hidden Valley community, the names don't matter that much. It's the activities that have turned their neighborhood into a prison. Gunshots are a common occurrence and residents fear leaving their homes. The midday fight at Eastland Mall involving the Hidden Valley Kings several days ago that ended in a fatal gunfight hours later on North Tryon illustrated what they must contend with.

An essential weapon against gangs is a strong police force. The city must provide Police Chief Darrel Stephens the resources he needs. But the chief says even more must be done to tackle the problem. "The breeding ground for gangs is non-supervised out of school time," he said, and many young people at risk of gang involvement are simply "looking for companionship and substitutes for engaged parents."

Parents who fit the not-being-engaged-with-children category, take note: You're putting your children and the rest of us at risk.

Chief Stephens said gang activity would be worse if not for programs police have launched. Some are in jeopardy because they are funded by grants that will soon end.

All of us can get involved in filling this void by supporting more after-school activities for children. Government leaders especially need to commit to providing necessary resources for such activities. Last year, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police created one program that has helped. The Gang of One program provides resources such as sports leagues and tutoring to help youngsters and their families resist gangs.

That saying about idle hands being the devil's tools has some resonance. We've got work to do to keep the devil at bay.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Gawd, I hate to hear this. My former hometown turning into California. I guess I'll see for myself next month. And the little gangsters parents? They don't care. They have no control over their children.

This is so sad. It's so hard to help kids like this, I am going to a talk in January for at risk youth and put the idea of college and a better life in their minds. I hope it works, but it's so hard.

A sick society allows gangs to spread their wanton violence.

Most gangs are composed of a minority of hard-core leaders with followers possessing various levels of dedication to the group.

It's a shame we can't/won't determine exactly who the leaders are then send in professional hit squads.

After removing the parasites spread the word that anyone taking the place of those dispatched leaders will meet the same fate.

Conversely, I believe that hardcore tactics require a "carrot" to be effective. A job at a living wage for every person needing/wanting work.

Then there is NO excuse for resorting to crime.

I hear/read of people espousing the "boot camp" form of incarceration for youthful offenders who do not merit hardcore prison time.

Well, during my time in military bootcamp I saw some amazing changes in some of the people. Mean anti-social Black home boys from the 'hoods such as Compton and Detroit. White trash hillbillies with little schooling and backwoods negative traits and hatred of anything they were unfamiliar with.

Over a three month period I saw chips knocked off shoulders and society's dregs standing tall with pride. Remarkable transformations!!!!!!

How did it happen? Yes, strict discipline helped. But, from what I saw....... the main transforming device was actually two things: PAY!!! Money!!! A paycheck. And, the feeling of being needed, of being important, of filling a role that needs filling and being recognized for doing what needed done.

Basic human psychology that the ruling elites ignore likely due to their greed for more more more wealth and power.