Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Flag of Mexico Flown Illegally Over Reno Business

Flag of Mexico Flown Illegally Over Reno Business

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7162515&nav=8faO

ICE Officers Detain Over 40 Illegal Workers
    Mexican Flag Flown Illegally Over Local Business
    Check All | Clear All

Stolen Identity of Fernley Woman May Have Prompted I.C.E. Raids
    Protest March Planned For Wednesday Over McDonald's Raids

Latest Local Headlines

Nevada ACLU Releases Statement on Mexican Flag Flying Over American Flag

Protest March Planned For Wednesday Over McDonald's Raids

Driver Takes a Chilly Plunge Into Lake Tahoe Near Sand Harbor

Joey Gilbert Suspended After Positive Drug Test

Feather River College Whistle-Blower Case Moves to Mediation Stage

Search Goes on For Permanent U.S. Attorney in Nevada

Not All Support Boycott in Response to Immigration Raids

Mexican Flag Flown Illegally Over Local Business

Wolf Pack Defensive Lineman May be Out For Season

Nearly 200 New Laws Take Effect Today

Greg Knight, News 4

On Monday afternoon we received a call from a KRNV News 4 viewer who said a business near downtown Reno was flying a Mexican flag above an American flag... which is in fact illegal.

To read the relevant Federal law, please click here.

This, after photos and comments about the flag were posted on Craigslist this morning. When we were able to have a photographer go and check everything out we found the story to be true.

It also didn t take long before the situation provoked a strong reaction. If you click on the video link in this story we will show you , unedited, what happened.

Click on the video to see what our photographer caught live to tape.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewer Posted Comments... courtesy of www.krnv.com

I am disappointed at the reactions reflected here in these comments. I'm confident Jesus would have acted with more civility by asking the owner to correct the situation without a confrontation.

Many of the comments that I see here reflect a vengeful display of ignorance and intolerance exasperated by group-think, with all the restraint of compassion and forgiveness thrown out the door, then having the audacity to claim God is on their side.

God is not American.

From a www.krnv.com viewer, Ashburn, VA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding "Flag of Mexico Flown Illegally Over Reno Business", things like this are starting to happen here in New York state.

Governor Spitzer wants illegal aliens to be able to get driving licenses without regard to their legal/illegal status.

HELP! Those of us who have to put up with all of the government bureaucracies for all of these years to keep us legal will not pertain to illegal aliens?

This is discrimination against US citizens and giving preferencial treatment to outsiders who are not supposed to be here (unless obtaining legal status).

Also, the strain will be on "legal", overburdened taxpayers to cover those who are illegal. Where will this all end? The disadvantages outweigh the advantages here.

Al Kresock, Johnson City, NY

The man who tore down the flag is a disgrace to this country.

How dare you people call him a hero. This type of pull-your-military-knife-out-and-challenge-obvious-pacifists-to-a-fight is the same attitude that has us in the terrible state of world affairs we are in.

Would it have been too much trouble to talk to these Hispanic gentlemen before violently slashing the flag down and leaving the Mexican flag on the ground? All intimidation.

I am a white American male and had no idea that it is illegal to fly a flag from another country above ours. I applaud the store owner for keeping his cool and not resorting to the same barbaric tactics. By supporting this veteran you are supporting an intolerant criminal.

Travis Widner, Portland, OR

I believe the actions the American citizen did, was wrong in taking the Flag the way he did. I don't believe that it is necessary to be hostel when defending the Flag. If a law is broken it is the responsibility of the citizen to report it and let Law enforcement handle the situation.

In my mind this man was just looking for attention.

Congratulations to the owner for not acting in the same manner as the veteran did. I hope he presses charges on this man for also braking the law. Remember the law is the law.

Patricia Hernandez, Reno

I saw the news this morning and I congratulate you on showing a video of a vet tearing down the Mexican flag as it hung over the U.S. flag at a local business.

The law is the law. We all have to abide by it. It's about time someone took a stand.

Maybe we should picket at the courthouse and voice our displeasure over the ways things are going. We have to be politically correct and not offend anyone and yet we are stepped on and expected to do nothing.

I would love to shake that man's hand and thank him for standing up for America. Regardless of where we come from, we are all Americans. I accept it, why can't they? God Bless America.

James Smith, Reno viewer

The gentlemen who took down the mexican flag should be honored for his patriotism and protecting our flag which was being used illegally. The owner of the bar who claims to be a citizen prefers mexico to America by his actions.

Maybe he needs to have his status checked and if here illegally, deported. Then your followup story had to do with more mexicans protesting.

To hell with them, close the border and finally build the fence that GW promised and has funded.

Eddie Lowenstein, Chatsworth, CA

I think this man is a hero!! I wish more people would step up and act instead sitting down and doing nothing.

Thank you to all of our veterans and enlisted forces.

Krissy Jonas, Sparks, NV

While I originally applauded the citizen and veteran of our military for correcting the flag issue in Reno yesterday, I am concerned about the impression of vigilante-ism the act will have on our society in general.

While a law was broken and needed to be corrected, I believe a less forceful means may have helped to build a bridge of understanding rather than the forceful act of destruction of private property that was exacted.

Perhaps a boycott and picketing of the establishment would have impacted this business owners operation, or a verbal discussion of the fact that he had broken the law would have been better.

Regardless of the owners intention, if individual citizens start taking law enforcement into their own hands, the brave men and women we expect to be the thin blue line between us and anarchy could be caught in the middle of an eventual firestorm.

Daniel Scinto, Reno, NV

I support the veteran who removed the American flag with his knife.

They don't deserve to get it back after illegally placing the Mexican flag above ours. If charges are brought against the veteran for theft, I anticipate a firestorm of protest.

This is disgraceful!

Ralph Weir, Carson City

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was so happy that someone finally decided to stand up for Americans. The way the hispanic community disgraces our flag is horrible.

Next time they decide to march at the federal building make sure immigation is there, because it's only the illegals that demonstrate.

I would love to meet that guy and shake his hand. God Bless Him.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

God Bless the man who took down the flags.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hmmm? Me thinks this station is carefully cherry picking which comments to post in order make it appear that sentiments are equally divided.

Quote Originally Posted by greyparrot
    Hmmm? Me thinks this station is carefully cherry picking which comments to post in order make it appear that sentiments are equally divided.
    Well you don't want to make viewers angry do you? That is why they decide which views to share. I actually applaud the man for his restraint, i probably would have shredded the Mexican flag before confiscating the American flag. As for "the owner" being clueless, if you buy that I have a few bridges for sale.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We are getting very tired of this crap and will see more outbursts of
    anger I think!!

Hooray for the veteran. The only way he could have made it better
    would have been to set the Mexican flag on fire.
    PROMOTE SELF DEPORTATION, ENFORCE OUR
    LAWS!

the ACLU statement is as follows

The ACLU of Nevada is concerned about recent media reports that it is "illegal" to fly foreign flags over the U.S. flag.

While there is indeed a federal law regulating the display of the U.S. flag, that law is merely advisory and simply codifies standard government practice in displaying the American flag.

Several federal courts have examined this law and held that the flag rules are not mandatory and cannot be enforced. Indeed, if the federal flag rules were mandatory, they would clearly violate the First Amendment, which protects every American's right to speak and express themselves, including their choice of flag to display.

In 1989, the Supreme Court held that we even have the right to burn our own flag, which had been outlawed by 48 states. Our robust and meaningful democracy is built upon our First Amendment, which protects our right to express ourselves even when - indeed, particularly when - that expression is distasteful or unpopular.

We at the ACLU wholeheartedly support the First Amendment rights of all, and this includes the right of the press to publish stories as they see fit. Of course, this right necessarily means that sometimes the media may get it wrong.

However, we urge the media to take the opportunity to correct misinformation, especially about our rights and the criminal law.

The media is a powerful tool in informing the public, and this is an opportunity to tell the world that the First Amendment is alive and well, and protects everyone's right to fly whatever flag they wish on their property.

Here is the contact info

Northern Nevada
    ACLU of Nevada, Reno Office
    1280 Terminal Way, Suite 46
    Reno, Nevada 89502
    Phone: 775-786-6757
    Fax: 775-786-0805

E-mail: info@aclunv.org

i already have called them and told them that its a violation of federal law to fly a foreign flag on US soil unless its at an embassy or consulate on said country and that by flying a foreign flag over the US flag. that is a declaration of war.

i ended the phone by calling them the Anti American CLU
    and the american communist labor union because they are surely not looking out for americans.

i also said, " i demand the ACLU back the vietnam vet for speaking his first amendment rights in doing what he did"

its funny that the guy whos business this flag was flying claims to be an american citizen and just did it to support the hispanic people after the raids last week

Quote Originally Posted by Catslave
    We are getting very tired of this crap and will see more outbursts of
    anger I think!!

Hooray for the veteran. The only way he could have made it better
    would have been to set the Mexican flag on fire.
    Nah, it is too dry, might have burned something other than the flag. Now shredding it with that pretty little knife he had, that would have been wonderful. I was a little let down that he didn't

i already have called them and told them that its a violation of federal law to fly a foreign flag on US soil unless its at an embassy or consulate on said country and that by flying a foreign flag over the US flag. that is a declaration of war.

i ended the phone by calling them the Anti American CLU
    and the american communist labor union because they are surely not looking out for americans.

i also said, " i demand the ACLU back the vietnam vet for speaking his first amendment rights in doing what he did"
    I bet the rent money it will have no affect on the Anti civil liberties union. I don't understand why our government is not stepping in. Many acts of war have been declared and ignored. Including El Presidentes "Mexico has no boarders" speech

Anyone who can sit back and criticize the guy who corrected the flag situation has obviously never had to put his/her life on the line for our flag. The way our flag is misused & abused is a disgrace to all the men and women who have served our country and it's a bigger disgrace to those who have died for the flag and our country. The fact that people that are in this country illegally and think this country actually owes them something is crazy. Then they have the nerve to take to the streets and protest against the way they are treated. They are not even suppose to be here in the first place. They are breaking the law by being in this country illegally. I am a citizen of this country and if I break the law, I pay the price. If i get arrested no government official will worry about who is taking care of my family or if my kids know where I am. I work two jobs to support my family. I pay taxes and the illegals are being treated better then me. Even if there was no law about flying another country's flag over ours. It shouldn't be done & that guy who took it down paid tribute to our country and all the Vets who made it home as well as those who didn't. I can tell you I would have been pretty disappointed if no one did what he did. I'm ever more disappointed by those bleeding heart idiots who say he was wrong for doing it. I'll say one more thing on this matter, The news has said that the bar owner can press charges against the guy who took the flag down. I say if charges are filed against him all of us LEGAL US CITIZENS should go out on strike in support of him. The way the illegals plan strikes to support their cause. Hell, at least as US citizens, we have the right to protest!!!

To think that our President allows this to happen is a disgrace to the world.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast