Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Former Sen. Jim DeMint Endorses Judge Roy Moore in Alabama Senate Race

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Former Sen. Jim DeMint Endorses Judge Roy Moore in Alabama Senate Race

Former Sen. Jim DeMint Endorses Judge Roy Moore in Alabama Senate Race

AP/Susan Walsh

by BEN KEW
    21 Sep 2017

Former Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) announced on Thursday his endorsement of Judge Roy Moore in next week’s Alabama U.S. senate race, in another blow to the establishment-backed candidate Luther Strange’s campaign.

In a press release, DeMint, who is a leading figure in the Tea Party movement, took aim at the “Kings of the Washington Swamp” opposing Moore’s candidacy.

“The American people are tired of the lack of leadership on Capitol Hill. They want people who are willing to fight to save our country,” DeMint said. “Judge Moore has proven he has the courage and the commitment to stand up to the Washington establishment and help President Trump implement a positive agenda. That’s why the Kings of the Washington Swamp are working so hard to keep Judge Moore from becoming the next U.S. Senator from Alabama, and why conservatives are supporting him.”

Despite receiving an endorsement from President Donald Trump, Luther Strange remains the overwhelming choice for the Republican establishment. In recent weeks, the Senate Leadership Fund, a PAC affiliated with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, has flooded the state with a series of false attack ads against Moore’s campaign.

However, Roy Moore has received backing from other politicians including Head of the House Freedom Caucus Mark Meadows, as well his initial primary candidate Rep. Mo Brooks, as well as endorsements from leading figures in the populist nationalist movement, including the likes of Sarah Palin, Mike Huckabee, and Ann Coulter.

Moore currently holds a commanding lead in polls over Strange. In a recent poll conducted by JMC Analytics, Moore has a solid 47 percent lead against Strange’s 39 percent, while another 13 percent remain undecided.

“Jim DeMint has served this nation with honor and is a fine example of a Christian statesman,” Judge Moore said on the endorsement. “He is someone whom I greatly admire and hope to learn from as I prepare to serve the people of Alabama in the United States Senate.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...a-senate-race/

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Jim DeMint on Free Trade
    Click here for 10 full quotes on Free Trade OR background on Free Trade.

Stupid not to tax imports from foreign countries. (Jul 2009)
    Textile industry is dying so trade isn’t the issue. (Oct 2004)
    Voted YES on promoting free trade with Peru. (Dec 2007)
    Voted YES on free trade agreement with Oman. (Jun 2006)
    Voted YES on implementing CAFTA for Central America free-trade. (Jul 2005)
    Voted YES on implementing US-Australia Free Trade Agreement. (Jul 2004)
    Voted YES on implementing US-Singapore free trade agreement. (Jul 2003)
    Voted YES on implementing free trade agreement with Chile. (Jul 2003)
    Voted NO on withdrawing from the WTO. (Jun 2000)
    Rated 72% by CATO, indicating a pro-free trade voting record. (Dec 2002)

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Jim_DeMint.htm
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Jim DeMint on Free Trade
    Click here for 10 full quotes on Free Trade OR background on Free Trade.

Stupid not to tax imports from foreign countries. (Jul 2009)
    Textile industry is dying so trade isn’t the issue. (Oct 2004)
    Voted YES on promoting free trade with Peru. (Dec 2007)
    Voted YES on free trade agreement with Oman. (Jun 2006)
    Voted YES on implementing CAFTA for Central America free-trade. (Jul 2005)
    Voted YES on implementing US-Australia Free Trade Agreement. (Jul 2004)
    Voted YES on implementing US-Singapore free trade agreement. (Jul 2003)
    Voted YES on implementing free trade agreement with Chile. (Jul 2003)
    Voted NO on withdrawing from the WTO. (Jun 2000)
    Rated 72% by CATO, indicating a pro-free trade voting record. (Dec 2002)

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Jim_DeMint.htm
    Why do you keep attempting to throw other folks former position on trade to protect Luther Strange's positions? Luther Strange is the enemy and I think everyone around here pretty much realizes that by now. Trump is human and he has made a mistake in endorsing Strange. Time to accept that and quit defending his bad choice.

As for Jim DeMint, I have a lot of respect for him and his support for our cause on border security and illegal immigration when he was in the U.S. Senate.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well, I'm rather confused by Strange is an enemy when he lobbied for Free Trade years ago and DeMint and Sessions voted for free trade but they're our friends. I have no objection at all to anyone supporting Moore, I don't have a position one way or the other, but I don't understand why Bannon at Breitbart would call Strange out on it and not call the others out on it. Strange joined the lawsuit that stopped DACA and DAPA as Attorney General of Alabama. Isn't that a friend of our cause? Just seems to me there needs to be a little more balance in the reporting by Breitbart if they want to be a news agency instead of a political pac. My beef is with Breitbart, not anyone else. Just my opinion.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Well, I'm rather confused by Strange is an enemy when he lobbied for Free Trade years ago and DeMint and Sessions voted for free trade but they're our friends. I have no objection at all to anyone supporting Moore, I don't have a position one way or the other, but I don't understand why Bannon at Breitbart would call Strange out on it and not call the others out on it. Strange joined the lawsuit that stopped DACA and DAPA as Attorney General of Alabama. Isn't that a friend of our cause? Just seems to me there needs to be a little more balance in the reporting by Breitbart if they want to be a news agency instead of a political pac. My beef is with Breitbart, not anyone else. Just my opinion.
    Has Breitbart actually lied or misrepresented Strange in some way? I think they're doing us a big favor going public with a lot of stuff we're not going to hear from other media sources. Does Breitbart have an agenda, sure they do. However, that agenda may very well be ours too.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I guess we will find out Tuesday how the people of Alabama feel and who they want to represent them. I do believe that McConnell's over the top attempt to buy the election for Strange has put a lot of people off.

Has Breitbart actually lied or misrepresented Strange in some way?
    Well, yes, they did, on the RAISE ACT ... that's what got me interested in the race was what Breitbart said about Strange opposing the RAISE ACT. That's what they published in several articles posted here. I was surprised by that so I googled and couldn't find any statement or quote by Strange opposing the RAISE ACT. On the day it was introduced he was questioned about it and he said he hadn't had a chance yet to read it, which is not unusual, but he said he was very interested in it and was hoping Congress would work through the August Recess to work on this bill. Breitbart later said Strange refused to be a co-sponsor of the bill as if this meant he opposed it, which not being a co-sponsor is not in any way a position of opposition.

Then Breitbart makes a big deal out of Strange working for a law firm that lobbied for CAFTA. Well that's what law firms who work as lobbyists do, that's his job. It doesn't mean you agree with it, you're working for clients and pushing their agenda, not your own personal beliefs. It's like a lawyer who represents a murderer, that doesn't mean the lawyer believes in murder.

Back during NAFTA and CAFTA, Alabama was a free trade state. Both their Senators supported these free trade agreements, including our beloved Jeff Sessions who voted for CAFTA. Jim DeMint from South Carolina voted for CAFTA. Now DeMint wants to call Strange a swamp creature for lobbying a trade agreement on behalf of law clients, a trade agreement DeMint voted for. Strange didn't pass the Treaties, he just worked for a law firm that lobbied it. He didn't run the manufacturers out of the country. He just did his job for his firm and its clients. He didn't pass the law that enacted this CAFTA treaty, Sessions and DeMint and many other did that. Jeff Sessions has said he was wrong about free trade, the effects weren't at all what they thought it would be, it was the complete opposite. Jeff Sessions is an honest man and during the campaign when asked by reporters on this very topic of why he was supporting Trump who was against the trade agreements Sessions had voted for, Sessions said quite simply and honestly, "I was wrong."

I have no problem with campaigns exploiting Strange being a lobbyist for CAFTA or even accusing him of being a swamp creature, but for a news agency to do that while supporting others who actually voted for CAFTA and made it law is not honest reporting of a political race.

Breitbart is acting like a CNN with their coverage of this race, and to me that's a real shame.
    Last edited by Judy; 09-22-2017 at 01:37 AM.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican View Post
    I guess we will find out Tuesday how the people of Alabama feel and who they want to represent them. I do believe that McConnell's over the top attempt to buy the election for Strange has put a lot of people off.
    I hope you're right and the good folks of Alabama see right through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican View Post
    Yes, and I'm sure whichever one they pick will do a good job for the people of Alabama. Just make sure whoever it is beats that Democrat!!