Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FORUM: 'Press One for English' angst

FORUM: 'Press One for English' angst

By BUD AARON -- Oceanside resident
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 12:12 AM PST

"Press one for English!"

Why, oh why, am I obliged to listen to this announcement in the first place? I was born in the U.S. and grew up here. I spoke English as a child and still do. My wife is a naturalized citizen, and one of the requirements for her citizenship was to speak, read and write English.

So neither she, nor I, nor any legal citizen of this country should be required to "press one for English." It should be assumed that we speak English and the phone should go straight to a live person or a message in English! If you must cater to another language, provide an alternate number!

Today marked a breaking point for me. I called my Secure Horizons/AARP representative. She was not available, but left fairly detailed and long-winded instructions for leaving a message. Not a problem, but in this case I was obliged to listen to the message in both English and Spanish before I was prompted to leave a message. Thing is, this is for geriatrics like me who, in the vast majority of cases, speak English.

If a business or service wants to cater to Spanish-speaking folks, just provide an alternate number. Don't make it a requirement that the English-speaking majority needs to listen to messages catering to any other language, including Spanish.

Now I have no fundamental animosity toward any nationality, but I have become progressively angrier at the consistent catering to Spanish-speaking people by all kinds of businesses and services.

My wife was born Romanian and raised by adoptive parents in Greece. Thus, when I married her, she spoke very little English. She spent a number of years learning English because it was a requirement for naturalization. Please understand that I am not suggesting that "English is the official language of the Unites States," but let's take a look.

Anyone born in the United States is raised in a predominantly English-speaking environment. They also attend schools where English is the language of choice for educational purposes. Second, if you are a naturalized citizen of the U.S., English is a requirement for naturalization.

The only other category of residents in this country are those waiting for naturalization or those who are in the country illegally.

Now no one provides messages in Chinese, my daughter-in-law's native language. No one provided messages in Greek for my wife when she arrived in this country; so why should I be obliged to listen to messages catering to Spanish-speaking folks?

You want to communicate with businesses and services ---- learn English. You are welcome to speak the language of your choice at home, but please don't force me to listen to messages catering to your language!

And please, oh please, don't force me to "press one for English" before I get a live person or a message on the line. It's irritating to this veteran of three wars!

Bud Aaron is a resident of Oceanside.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/01 ... 704d15.txt

Now no one provides messages in Chinese, my daughter-in-law's native language. No one provided messages in Greek for my wife when she arrived in this country; so why should I be obliged to listen to messages catering to Spanish-speaking folks?

You want to communicate with businesses and services ---- learn English. You are welcome to speak the language of your choice at home, but please don't force me to listen to messages catering to your language!
    AMEN!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't think you find this anywhere else in the world. If you are in Russia, you don't need to press a button for Russian: you better find a translator at your own expense.
    It angers me to no end for us (welcoming of every ethnicity in the world into our borders) to cater to just one group of people, the majority of whom seem to be illegal because of their proximity. Other groups will soon start to see how we fall backward at accusations of discrimination and let the accusers take charge of our commerce, language and country.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Amen
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why did I cancel my Comcast service?

Recently I noticed that I could get fios service from another provider that would give me higher internet speed than Comcast at a cheaper price.

For whatever reason at that time I chose to continue my cable service through Comcast.

I very recently had to call my new provider because I needed something.
    My issue was resolved and I was offered a great tv package from them. I took it.

This morning there was an issue here with my tv service and I had to call support.
    I noticed right away though while going through the phone ivr I was never prompted to "Press 1 for English"

The rep I spoke to did some tests with me and checked to see if there were any reported issues in my area............At that point he didn't see anything wrong in my area and my box looked good, So he set up a visit by a tech.

In minutes I got a call from my tech telling me that there was an issue here in this area and then I got a call again from the office telling me the same.

Now on to Comcast, the first thing I was prompted was "Press 1 for English"
    When I got a customer service rep on the phone I was asked "Why are you canceling"?
    Since he had my record there I asked him "What state do I live in"
    His response "Oregon"

I then asked why since Oregon is in the United States do I have to "Press 1 for English"

I got some stupid canned response from him about "Alot of spanish customers"
    I was then transferred to his "Supervisor" She could not believe that I as a customer of 5+ years was going to cancel because of that.

Within minutes after that call I received a call from her supervisor offering me a better price and a direct number for support where I don't have to press that dreaded "1 for English"

I told her I would think about it and to call me back in a month.

Don’t get me wrong customer service has always been good from Comcast.
    My question to them is “Why do I need to press 1 for Englishâ€
    Illegal, or unlawful, is used to describe something that is prohibited or not authorized by law

For a while I was getting a lot of ads from a cable TV company....(not the one I was using)...The whole envelope and the entire letter was in Spanish.....the only thing I could read was the name of the Company and a phone number....I called them...spitting mad....and told them this was an insult and a disgrace and there was NO WAY in HxLL I was EVER going to use their Company....They got the message
    It felt good
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hmmm I am also fed-up with Comcast. I may have to try that tomorrow.

I will loose my job in May due to mandatory retirement and i think I will ask them for the unemployed rate and see what they say. Who watches TV anymore anyways. Half of my channels are in Spanish.

R/ Skip

I have been out of work since April, and one day a HR had contacted me and left a message to call her back. When I called back her voice mail came on and her message was first in english, second in spanish, and third in I think arabic!!! Whats the next language their going to use! Pretty soon we`ll be listening to ten different languages on companys voice mail! How stupid
    No man is good enough to govern another man without that other’s consent.
    Abraham Lincoln

I totally agree with all of you. Hispanic citizens are usually bi-lingual anyway so why the need for Spanish? It is to accomodate Spanish speaking illegal aliens and that is what really pisses me off. Nothing like rubbing the invasion right in our faces, is there?

I work for a large company answering phones. Every single time I get a call from someone asking if I "speaka"...I say "no!" in no uncertain terms and make sure my tone is angry. I am supposed to transfer to a spanish speaking rep, but I misdirect or disconnect the call "accidentally". They may get to a spanish speaker, but it won't be thru me! Let 'em fight for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast