Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    It's funny, sometimes when a candidate changes his/her mind it's called "flip-flopping".

To me, I usually see it differently, as if the candidate may have come to see and understand the American people's stand on something.

I guess it depends on the candidate and the issue. Sometimes they move a certain way in their position, but is that always "flip-flopping"?

Don't we TRY to persuade them to do things better?
    I'm not a big fan of politicians who change to capture the popular vote. A leader should lead - be able to convince Americans that his way is the right way, if we should trust him.

(McCain gives us NONE of that. Trying to get that last amnesty bill shoved through before it got mired down in politics? Grrrrrrr)

With soe of the immigration votes, time and sensibilities have changed. The economy was screaming hot in 1998, and people had been fleeing violence in Haiti for several years. They didn't all come here strictly for economic reasons - lots of them fled when Aristide was ousted. Back then I would have probably supported it. We had plenty of jobs. McDonald's workers were still speaking English.

I'm not going to get pouty about that particular vote.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." -- John Quincy Adams

Illegal Immigration

Illegal immigration was a serious problem in 1998.

Those that recognized illegal immigration to be a serious problem voted against Section 245(i) amensty for illegal aliens in 1997.

In 1996, Congress passed "The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996". Obviously, illegal immigration was a serious problem in 1996.

I would have voted "no" on a bill that rewarded thousands of illegal alien Haitians with amnesty.

There is a lot of stuff in that bill, especially on fighting drug trafficking. The Haitian thing was one tiny part of it. It's not clear if the Haitian thing was an amendment added to the bill or not. It doesn't list the votes, nor was there any list of votes on the entire bill. If Paul voted on this bill it could have been because of all the other stuff in it that he agreed on. Because of his record, I am going to trust that he had a good reason, if he did indeed vote yea on this.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

BTTT
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678