Thread: The G Word

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The G Word

These illegals who have invaded our country call those of us who live here legally ( whether native born or naturalized citizens "racists." HOWEVER, it is those who come here from south of the border who refer to the white American as a "gringo" which they use as a term of insult. It is a racist term and we should not allow them to call us that without protesting their using that term and not being called on the carpet for it.

"While the earliest English-language usage (of the word "gringo") is from the 1840s, the earliest use of gringo in Spanish is far older than the Mexican-American War or Bolivar's 1819 liberation campaign. According to Rawson, it appears in the Diccionario Castellano in 1787. That dictionary says that it was used in Malaga to refer to anyone who spoke Spanish badly, and in Madrid in reference to the Irish. Gringo probably comes from the Spanish griego, or Greek. So it is akin to the phrase it's Greek to me (or in Spanish hablar en griego) and the word barbarian."

So NO it's not at all "racist" like one considers a racist label to be. However, it's the attitude when they say it that seems insulting. When someone says "I love you" with hate in their voice, even the word "love" can seem like an insult. So it's HOW someone says something, not the word itself. I don't mind "gringo" in the least, because "whitey" or something similar sounds even worse. I'm pretty proud to be a "gringo"! At least I'm a legal gringo. Calling them to carpet for it will only give fuel to the flames. Ignore it. That's my thought, but you don't have to agree if you don't want to.
    “Homeland Security? What Homeland Security ?”

Ya....I suppose I should be more offended than I am but I'm so sick and tired of having every word being torn apart searching for any and every thing, so it can be called "racist". or "discrimatory"...that I'm not going to play their game. They can call me whatever they want to. Doesn't make it true. They can call me "mama" and one look in their eyes says it's ment as an insult....so I don't care anymore.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.

Granted they do....but I prefere to develope a thick skin than to stoop to their childish name games.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So NO it's not at all "racist" like one considers a racist label to be. However, it's the attitude when they say it that seems insulting. When someone says "I love you" with hate in their voice, even the word "love" can seem like an insult. So it's HOW someone says something, not the word itself. I don't mind "gringo" in the least, because "whitey" or something similar sounds even worse. I'm pretty proud to be a "gringo"! At least I'm a legal gringo. Calling them to carpet for it will only give fuel to the flames. Ignore it. That's my thought, but you don't have to agree if you don't want to.
    I was born and raised in Southern California exposed to the invasion from Mexico from day one.

Gringo is a racial put down

I know you think you have done your research but it is used all the time here by the locals. Believe me it is a put down and that is the way it is used.
    Is this Mexico or the USA

Oh beleive me Saltydog, everyone knows the "word" is definatly used as a put down. Question is.....do you even want to give them the power to use that word over you? I don't. Consider the source and let their ignorance shine.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Here is the crazy part. Illegal Alien is a legal term not racial. On US immigration code many times.

Gringo is not legal but derogatory.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    Oh beleive me Saltydog, everyone knows the "word" is definatly used as a put down. Question is.....do you even want to give them the power to use that word over you? I don't. Consider the source and let their ignorance shine.
    They have no power over me because I can dish it out in Spanish if it comes to that.

LOL
    Is this Mexico or the USA

It is meant to be racist - ask any truthful Mexican. We need to give it back.
    I'm "Dot" and I am LEGAL!

Re: The G Word

Quote Originally Posted by libbeebell
    These illegals who have invaded our country call those of us who live here legally ( whether native born or naturalized citizens "racists." HOWEVER, it is those who come here from south of the border who refer to the white American as a "gringo" which they use as a term of insult. It is a racist term and we should not allow them to call us that without protesting their using that term and not being called on the carpet for it.
    Green grow the lilacs, all sparkling with dew
    I'm lonely, my darling, since parting with you;
    But by our next meeting I'll hope to prove true
    And change the green lilacs to the Red, White and Blue.

I would refer you this page:

http://www.contemplator.com/america/lilacs.html