Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gay blogger Sullivan FURIOUS that the gay community forced Mozilla CEO to step down

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gay blogger Sullivan FURIOUS that the gay community forced Mozilla CEO to step down

Youngcons.com
    Joshua Riddle
    4/4/14

What I’m concerned with is the substantive reason for purging him. When people’s lives and careers are subject to litmus tests, and fired if they do not publicly renounce what may well be their sincere conviction, we have crossed a line. This is McCarthyism applied by civil actors. This is the definition of intolerance.
    Gay blogger Andrew Sullivan is FURIOUS that the gay community forced Mozilla CEO to step down

Andrew is right on the money.

From The Dish:

The guy who had the gall to express his First Amendment rights and favour Prop 8 in California by donating $1,000 has just been scalped by some gay activists.

Will he now be forced to walk through the streets in shame? Why not the stocks? The whole episode disgusts me – as it should disgust anyone interested in a tolerant and diverse society. If this is the gay rights movement today – hounding our opponents with a fanaticism more like the religious right than anyone else – then count me out. If we are about intimidating the free speech of others, we are no better than the anti-gay bullies who came before us.

Naturally, this infuriated the libs, here is one of their complaints followed by Andrew’s follow up:

I’m going to disagree with you, quite strongly, about the resignation of Brendan Eich. While I agree that he is certainly entitled to his point of view, and to take actions in support of that point of view, he is not entitled to face no consequences from those actions. That’s all this is: consequences. If he truly has the strength of his convictions, he will consider this a necessary sacrifice. Were I to loudly proclaim a belief in the inherent inferiority of other ethnicities than my own, and take actions to enshrine that belief into law, would I not reasonably expect to face consequences?

He’s not going to prison; he just has to find a new job. For someone with his abilities, that should not be difficult. I just imagine it will be done more quietly this time.

As I said last night, of course Mozilla has the right to purge a CEO because of his incorrect political views. Of course Eich was not stripped of his First Amendment rights. I’d fight till my last breath for Mozilla to retain that right. What I’m concerned with is the substantive reason for purging him. When people’s lives and careers are subject to litmus tests, and fired if they do not publicly renounce what may well be their sincere conviction, we have crossed a line. This is McCarthyism applied by civil actors. This is the definition of intolerance. If a socially conservative private entity fired someone because they discovered he had donated against Prop 8, how would you feel? It’s staggering to me that a minority long persecuted for holding unpopular views can now turn around and persecute others for the exact same reason. If we cannot live and work alongside people with whom we deeply disagree, we are finished as a liberal society.

http://youngcons.com/gay-blogger-and...-to-step-down/
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Count OkCupid among those celebrating the resignation of Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich on Thursday.

The dating site protested Mozilla on Monday by discouraging users to visit its site via Firefox, in an attempt to bring awareness to Eich's 2008 political donation in support of Proposition 8. The ballot measure, which outlawed gay marriage in California, passed but was later ruled unconstitutional. OkCupid's stunt attracted media attention, and added to displeasure around the web about Eich's political views and the company's decision to promote him to CEO in late March.

See also: 12 Moments From England's Legalization of Gay Marriage

On Thursday, Mozilla announced in a blog post that Eich was stepping down, apologizing to users for failing to act in a more timely manner. "We didn’t act like you’d expect Mozilla to act," wrote Mozilla Chairwoman Mitchell Baker. "We didn’t move fast enough to engage with people once the controversy started. We’re sorry. We must do better."

The news was appreciated at OkCupid. The company released the following statement through a spokesperson:
    “We are pleased that OkCupid’s boycott has brought tremendous awareness to the critical matter of equal rights for all individuals and partnerships; today’s decision reaffirms Mozilla’s commitment to that cause. We are satisfied that Mozilla will be taking a number of further affirmative steps to support the equality of all relationships.”

On Monday, OkCupid greeted Firefox users trying to visit its site with a message encouraging them to try other browsers like Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Safari. The pop-up did not specifically call for Eich's resignation, but it certainly didn't mince words, either. The message said: "Those who seek to deny love and instead enforce misery, shame, and frustration are our enemies, and we wish them nothing but failure."

OkCupid shared this letter with Firefox users on Monday, protesting Mozilla CEO Eich.
    Image: OkCupid

That wish came true Thursday, and while OkCupid is not taking full credit for the change at Mozilla, the company does believe its protest made a difference.

A company spokesperson told Mashable: "It’s a great feeling to see a company take a stand that blends its business interests and its principles and have that stand result in a series of actions that makes the world a better place." Mashable also reached out to Barry Diller, Chairman of AIC, OkCupid's parent company, but did not receive a response.

Mozilla has not yet named a new CEO and will have more information "next week," according to Baker. In the meantime, the company appears to be working hard to retain users and avoid more negative attention, ensuring users that the company is open to all people, regardless of sexual orientation.

Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich resigned on Thursday.
    Image: Mozilla

"We will emerge from this with a renewed understanding and humility — our large, global, and diverse community is what makes Mozilla special, and what will help us fulfill our mission," Baker wrote. "We are stronger with you involved."

Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.

http://mashable.com/2014/04/03/okcup...utm_source=rss
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is the culture of the left, not being satisfied with making an argument or even prevailing in an argument, but in destroying personally and marginalizing people who oppose them, in the same way that proponents of Climate Change declare the issue closed, it’s over, there’s no debate, it’s settled science.
    Krauthammer on Mozilla CEO: Culture of Left only satisfied in destroying, marginalizing people who oppose them

Posted on Apr 4, 2014

Talking about the Mozilla CEO being pressured out of his job because of his position against gay marriage, Krauthammer said tonight that this is the culture of the Left, doing the same thing with gay marriage that they are doing with Climate Change – destroying and marginalizing people who oppose them:

This is the culture of the left, not being satisfied with making an argument or even prevailing in an argument, but in destroying personally and marginalizing people who oppose them, in the same way that proponents of Climate Change declare the issue closed, it’s over, there’s no debate, it’s settled science.

And therefore anybody who is skeptical of that is considered anti-science and is called a denier a conscious way, to echo there’s some kind of moral or intellectual equivalent of denier of the Holocaust.

In the same way people are now declaring that the national debate we’ve had for a decade or two on gay marriage is closed and anybody who opposes gay marriage is a bigot and should be written out of polite society, ostracized and lose their jobs.

There’s more and you can watch the full clip below:

http://therightscoop.com/krauthammer...o-oppose-them/

Ive heard some conservatives argue that Hitler's top leaders were often gay because they could be counted on to conduct the most ruthless acts. These totalitarian actions conducted by gay activists against those that disagree with them are giving great credence to that theory! Of course, we really do need to separate between gay people and these hardcore gay activists. However, it is clear that many of the hardcore gay activists are putting everyone that supports gay marriage in the same political cattle car.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)