Thread: Go Senator Byrd

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Go Senator Byrd

Go Senator Byrd (From a FAIR update)

Senator Byrd rose to speak, generally, on the bill. Today, he said, the
    Senate finds itself considering another amnesty bill for illegal
    aliens. After the failure of it last month, he had hoped the Senate had seen the light, had seen the opposition of the people, and would pass a
    clear enforcement bill like the House has.

Senator Byrd continued by saying that the Senate is on a path that
    contradicts everything we know about the will about the American people. On Monday, the President endorsed the amnesty and called for the National Guard to be sent to the border. Just a month ago, the President
    proposed cutting the Guard by 18,000 soldiers. The Governors say they were not consulted. The National Guard may be able to help at the border, but it should not be at the expense of where they are needed elsewhere in the country. It seems to be a political stunt "to look tough." The Senator said that the President would not need to do this if he had supported just some of the nine amendments he had offered to increase the Border Patrol. If they had passed, the agents would be in place right now. Instead, the administration has repeatedly opposed spending money and adding agents, saying it would expand the government. The Senator explained that he would support any realistic measures to secure the border, but had to question such a "token gesture."

Senator Byrd stated that he had joined with Senator Gregg to pass a
    $1.9 billion appropriations measure for border security. However, the
    President has threatened to veto it. The President's inconsistency lies at
    the heart of my opposition to this bill. I oppose it absolutely and
    unequivocally. "Amnesties are the dark underbelly of our immigration
    process." They undermine the proposition that the law should apply equally to everyone. The bill is a slap in the face to every immigrant who had to wait abroad and struggle to become a U.S. citizen. Moreover, we
    have our own problems to deal with without taking on this additional
    burden in order to help business find cheap labor.

The Senator stated that in 1986, he supported the amnesty bill based on
    the promises of worksite enforcement. But, he said, it didn't work then
    and it won't work now. "It was a failure." Amnesties are dangerous,
    dangerous proposals. Our immigration system is already overwhelmed and overburdened. It only took 19 violators to create the horror of September 11.

That man has integrity.

He speaks the unvarnished truth.
    I hope to God the House stays strong and tells the Senate and the president where they can put this bill.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

I'm glad to know where he stands on this issue. I don't think he's worried about the hispanic vote
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Sen. Byrd was a jewel.

I wrote to him, at his web site today, and thanked him for caring about us American Citizens. Told him many in this country are proud of him.

I read something to the tune that negatives are generally sent to the senators voting for the illegals. (Deservedly so) And, that the ones who care about the American Citizen's don't generally hear from us. I thought that would be a good idea, to write and thank the ones who care. They do fight for us!

I also thanked sen. byrd for his good work,not all the senators are falling for the crap that bush,and kennedy-mccain,are pushing on them.

gordo