Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Grassley's & Vitter amendments! Both pass!

Call Senators Now Asking for a YES vote on Grassley's E-Verify Amendment - 202-224-3121
    Updated Thursday, July 9, 2009, 11:18 AM

Call Senators Now Asking for a YES vote on Grassley's E-Verify Amendment & Vitter's No-Match Amendment - 202-224-3121

The Senate resumed voting on amendments this morning and approved David Vitter's No-Match by a voice vote. It is not known when the amendment by Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) will come up.

Before adjourning last night, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) filed a cloture motion to end debate on the overall bill by Friday. Please call Senators and ask them to vote YES on the Grassley amendment - 202-224-3121.

Sen. Grassley's amendment (#1415) would allow employers using E-Verify to check the workplace eligibility of all employees, not just new hires.

Under current law, E-Verify may only be used for new hires. Sen. Vitter's amendment (#1375) would prevent further delays in the implementation of the "no-match" rule, which allows the Social Security Administration to send letters notifying employers that the Social Security number and personal data of certain employees don't match SSA records (almost always because they are illegal aliens).

Victory on Sen. Sessions' E-Verify Amendment!

Yesterday, Senators passed Sen. Jeff Sessions' (R-Ala.) E-Verify amendment by voice vote after failing to table it. The vote on the motion to table the amendment failed by a 44-53 margin. The Sessions' amendment would require federal contractors to use E-Verify and permanently reauthorize the workplace verification tool, which is set to expire this fall.

Victory on Sen. DeMint's Border Fence Amendment!
    After votes on the Sessions amendment, Senators adopted (54-44) an amendment by Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) that would require the completion of at least 700 miles of reinforced fencing along the Southwestern border by December 31, 2010.

Thank you for helping to make these terrific wins a reality!
    http://www.numbersusa.com/content/news/ ... -amendment

Called -- everyone needs to call their Senators.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Updated: Thursday, July 9, 2009, 11:30 AM
    The Senate resumed voting on amendments this morning and approved David Vitter's No-Match by a voice vote. It is not known when the amendment by Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) will come up. Before adjourning last night, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) filed a cloture motion to end debate on the overall bill by Friday. Please call Senators and ask them to vote YES on the Grassley amendment - 202-224-3121.

Okay, what exactly does this mean? Will this over-ride the White House dropping the No-Match letters??

Let's go 4 for 4.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinwaukegan
    The Senate resumed voting on amendments this morning and approved David Vitter's No-Match by a voice vote.
    SNIP

Okay, what exactly does this mean? Will this over-ride the White House dropping the No-Match letters??

Let's go 4 for 4.
    I have a call in to David Vitter's office, and they are supposed to find out the answer to this question. Anxious to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupinwaukegan
    The Senate resumed voting on amendments this morning and approved David Vitter's No-Match by a voice vote.
    SNIP

Let's go 4 for 4.
    I have a call in to David Vitter's office, and they are supposed to find out the answer to this question. Anxious to know.

I really look forward to hearing what they say. Here's what numbersusa says for now. I thought no-match was already killed -so it's just delayed?

Senate Approves No-Match -- Next Up: Grassley's E-Verify Amendment

By Chris Chmielenski, Updated Thursday, July 9, 2009, 12:26 PM

The Senate continued their debate this morning on amendments to the 2010 Homeland Security spending bill. After passing Sen. Sessions' E-Verify and Sen. DeMint's (R-S.C.) border fence amendments yesterday, they approved, through a voice vote, Sen. Vitter's (R-La.) No-Match amendment.

Sen. Vitter's amendment would prevent the further delay to the Social Security Administration's No-Match letter program. No-Match letters are sent out by the SSA notifying employers that they've reported income where the social security and the name of the employee don't match. Often, a no-match occurs when an employer has hired an illegal alien who used falsified documents during the hiring process. The Bush Administration strengthened the No-Match program making it easier for employers to fire employees when a no-match occurs, but the Obama Administration has delayed implementation of the stronger enforcement and has shown signs of killing the rule altogether.

"The Senate’s unanimous approval of this amendment sends a clear message to the Obama administration that we will not allow weak immigration laws," Vitter said. "That the Senate passed this amendment on the very next day after the administration stated their intent to rescind the 'no-match' rule serves as an even stronger indicator of where Congress stands on this issue. Illegal immigration is a serious concern for our country, and we should be doing all that we can to fight this growing problem. Today we took a step in the right direction toward doing just that."

Please keep calling your Senators and urging them to vote for Sen. Grassley's (R-Iowa) amendment that would take Sen. Sessions' (R-Ala.) E-Verify amendment one step further by allowing federal contractors to use E-Verify on current employees not just new hires. And take a look at the vote trackers on the front page to see how your Senators voted.

CHRIS CHMIELENSKI is the Website Content Manager for NumbersUSA

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/nusab ... dment.html

I called Sen Feinstein and Boxers offices this morning and then just called again pushing for a vote for the Grassley amendment.

The first time I called Sen Feinsteins office I spoke to Joe and now I spoke to Judy so hopefully the message is getting thru to all who work for her.

Both times I was put on hold for quite a while due to all the lines were busy.

Please keep calling and calling and calling!

MW
    "The Senate’s unanimous approval of this amendment sends a clear message to the Obama administration that we will not allow weak immigration laws," Vitter said. "That the Senate passed this amendment on the very next day after the administration stated their intent to rescind the 'no-match' rule serves as an even stronger indicator of where Congress stands on this issue.
    Wow, that's great news. We're now 3 for 4. However, I'm not going to start preparing for the party just yet because you can bet there will be Democrats trying to cut these amendments out of the final bill when it goes back to committee. My excitement is tempered by the fact that I've been disappointed too many times in the past in these situations (amendments killed in committee).

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

OK - just called Sen Boxers office for the 2nd time today and the first time I spoke to Kara and now I just spoke to Mark.

I keep pushing the Grassley bill. Keep calling, the phone lines need to be kept busy - even with people on vacations.

my tweet

Despite E-Verify and the Border Fence passing they still require continued inclusion implementation and willful enforcement; that's the rub

don't count your chickens just yet

Senate Adopts Grassley's E-Verify Amendment

DeMint Amendment #1399
    News

Rep. Jack Kingston to offer E-Verify Amendments to House Appropriation Mark-ups Updated Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 3:03 PM
    Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.) will offer E-Verify amendments to the 2010 appropriation mark-ups for the Energy, Finance, Labor, and Health and Human Services spending bills. The mark-ups are expected to occur on Friday.

E-Verify Bill Passes N.C. State Committee Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 7:54

A bill to extend mandatory E-Verify usage in North Carolina passed a state Senate committee on July 7. SB 32, which is sponsored by Sen. John Snow, a Democrat, would require city and county governments, and certain state and local government contractors, to use the federal E-Verify system to check the workplace eligibility of new hires.

The Senate adopted Sen. Charles Grassley's (R-Iowa) E-Verify amendment on a voice vote tonight. This represents the fourth immigration-reduction victory in a row on the Homeland Security spending bill!

Sen. Grassley's amendment would allow employers using E-Verify to check the workplace eligibility of all employees, not just new hires. Under current law, E-Verify may only be used for new hires.

Earlier today, Sen. David Vitter's (R-La.) amendment, which passed by voice vote today, would prevent further delays in the implementation of the "no-match" rule, which allows the Social Security Administration to send letters notifying employers that the Social Security number and personal data of certain employees don't match SSA records (almost always because they are illegal aliens). On July 8, the Obama Administration announced it would rescind the Bush-era no-match rule. Sen. Vitter's amendment would overturn that action.

Yesterday, Senators passed Sen. Jeff Sessions' (R-Ala.) E-Verify
    amendment by voice vote after failing to table it. The vote on the
    motion to table the amendment failed by a 44-53 margin. The Sessions
    amendment would require federal contractors to use E-Verify and
    permanently reauthorize the workplace verification tool, which is set
    to expire this fall. Click here to see the roll call vote on tabling the Session amendment. A "no" vote supported keeping the amendment alive.

After votes on the Sessions amendment, Senators adopted (54-44) an amendment by Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) that would require the completion of at least 700 miles of reinforced fencing along the Southwestern border by December 31, 2010. Click here to see the roll call vote on the DeMint amendment. A "yes" vote supported its adoption.

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/news/ ... dment.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast