Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Harry Reid against anchor babies ...... coming up now on Fox

Bill O'Reilly has the proof

Old tape of Reid railing against anchor babies

Should be coming up in a few minutes

i think he said earlier the video was from 93
    i cant wait to see this

Banned
    Yes James

It is an old vid

It came out about 2 days ago and just now is making the news

It will put the ding to old Harry and his hispandering here in Nevada

Banned

Banned
    REID GROWS IN OFFICE (Immigration Stabilization Act of 1993)
    NRO ^

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 7:53:40 AM by hipaatwo

Like Gephart and Daschle, as Senate minority leader Harry Reid has risen in leadership, he's gotten progressively more progressive. It's interesting to contrast his zealous defense of the McCain-Kennedy amnesty to his earlier views; he introduced the "Immigration Stabilization Act of 1993" that would have cut immigration by two-thirds and, in its original version, denied automatic citizenship to the children of illegal aliens. This from his press release on the bill in 1993:

"Our borders have overflowed with illegal immigrants placing tremendous burdens on our criminal justice system, schools and social programs. The Immigration and Naturalization Service needs the ability to step up enforcement. Our federal wallet is stretched to the limit by illegal aliens getting welfare, food stamps, medical care and other benefits often without paying any taxes. Safeguards like welfare and free medical care are in place to boost Americans in need of short-term assistance. These programs were not meant to entice freeloaders and scam artists from around the world. Even worse, Americans have seen heinous crimes committed by individuals who are here illegally."
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1609581/posts

Banned
    August 13, 2010
    Harry Reid's Birthright Non-Apology Apology
    Greg Sargent at The Washington Post posts a partial transcript provided by the Reid campaign of a speech Reid gave on the floor of the Senate in 2006 allegedly apologizing for Reid's 1993 proposal to exclude the children of illegal aliens from birthright citizenship.

Sargent treats this transcript as conclusive proof that Reid long ago apologized, but the transcript says nothing about the birthright proposal. Indeed, it is unclear what legislation Reid is talking about, when he described the legislation as follows:

A group of people came and talked to us and convinced us that the thing to do would be to close the borders between Mexico and the United States; in effect, stop people from coming across our borders to the United States. This period of time for which I am so apologetic-to my family, mostly-lasted about a week or two. I introduced legislation.
    Nowhere in the transcript provided does Reid specifically mention the 1993 legislation, which would not have closed the border.

Assuming that Reid was referring to that 1993 legislation, Reid appears to be apologizing for not including a pathway to citizenship for illegals (what he calls "comprehensive" reform), but still says nothing about the birthright proposal:

But I do want to tell him and the rest of my friends in the Senate, that is a low point of my legislative career, the low point of my governmental career. That is why I believe we need comprehensive immigration reform today. People in America are counting on us to move forward with comprehensive immigration reform. They recognize that this country's national security depends on securing our borders and fixing our immigration system.
    Again, nothing in the transcript provided by the Reid campaign and published by Sargent references Reid apologizing for his birthright proposal. Nothing.

It is unfortunate that others, including Ben Smith, also have taken the Reid campaign's bait. Read the transcript, please, and point me to where Reid apologized for his birthright proposal.

It's not there.

Update: The Nevada Republican Party quotes from a 1999 Las Vegas Review-Journal article in which Reid apologized for the legislation which would have cut legal immigration from 800,000 to 300,000 people. This is to what Reid appears to be referring in his 2006 speech when he apologized for legislation that would "close the borders" and "in effect, stop people from coming across our borders." Neither the 2006 transcript nor the excerpt from the 1999 article references Reid apologizing for the birthright aspect of the legislation.

And, a helpful article in The New York Times, with links to the congressional record, proves that I am right and that Harry Reid never specifically apologized for the birthright provision. Reid's comments of apology in 2006 referenced prior comments by Jeff Sessions (R-Ala) about how in 1993 Reid had called 1986 immigration reform "amnesty," and Reid was apologizing generally for his harsh immigration proposal (discussed above), but not specifically for the birthright provision.

I'm sure Harry Reid now is sorry he proposed a birthright limitation since it makes him look like the worst type of hypocrite, but that is not what the Reid campaign through Sargent and others is claiming.

The Reid campaign is claiming that Reid is on record apologizing for the birthright provision, and that assertion is not true based upon the evidence.