Thread: Help Illinois

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Help Illinois

i heard dick durbin a very powerful traitor senator from illinois is up for reelection and so far no opposition. illinois needs help!!!! what can be done to unseat durbin?

I'm all ears!!!

Who is Jim Oberwies running against? Durbin or in another area? Look him up -he was against illegal immigration before most of the country and lost partly because of it. Read the second paragraph!

U.S. Senate campaign

Oberweis ran twice for his state party's nomination for the United States Senate in 2002 and 2004. Despite endorsements from the sitting Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dennis Hastert, Oberweis was unsuccessful in both races.

Due to his surprisingly strong second-place finish in the 2004 primary, many of the party faithful lobbied heavily for Oberweis to get the nomination when primary winner Jack Ryan dropped out due to scandalous material found in his divorce records. The path would have been clear if not for Oberweis' strong stance against illegal immigration — a stand he claimed was supported by a clear majority of the American public. Others thought he went too far, particularly in a television commercial where he flew in a helicopter over Chicago's Soldier Field, and claimed enough illegal immigrants came into America in a week (10,000 a day) to fill that facility.[1] The stadium seats 61,500 people.

While his anti-immigration values and ads had won him support among his state party's base, others were outraged and even picketed his business. The state party later claimed that the national party became concerned that they would cultivate an image of xenophobia at a time when President George W. Bush was heavily courting Latino voters. However, nearly half of Latino voters favored more restrictive immigration policies and the GOP was dependent upon major donors that profited from liberal immigration policies so it is plausible there was a fundamentally different political calculation involved.

There were unsubstantiated rumors that President Bush himself called the Illinois Republican Party, asking them not to choose Oberweis as the replacement candidate.[citation needed] The state party chose instead former Ambassador Dr. Alan Keyes to carry the party through the general election.

Oberweis supported Dr. Keyes in that election, at times drawing himself into some controversies involving Keyes. For example, during the 2004 Republican National Convention, Keyes called homosexuals "selfish hedonists" and went on to say that Vice President Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter was a selfish hedonist. While most socially conservative Republicans attempted to distance themselves from this statement, Oberweis agreed. He compared the difficulties of reforming homosexuals into heterosexuals into his own efforts to lose weight a few years earlier. Dr. Keyes lost the election by the largest margin in Illinois state history for any candidate of a major political party to Barack Obama.

Illinois Gubernatorial nomination campaign

On April 14, 2005, Oberweis announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination for the office of Illinois Governor. His campaign ran on many of the same issues as did his previous campaigns for U.S. Senate. During the nomination race, the Oberweis campaign was widely criticized for its use of attack ads that featured fake newspaper headlines. At least one of his opponents in the primary told reporters that Oberweis was unelectable in a general election because of his well-known socially conservative views.[citation needed]

In 2006, Oberweis supported two campaigns working to add an amendment to the Illinois constitution prohibiting same-sex marriage beyond existing laws.[2]

Oberweis lost the campaign for this nomination in Illinois' statewide primary elections held on March 21, 2006.

[edit] References
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Oberweis
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

i have not heard if Mr Oberweis is thinking of running. he would be a very good replacement for durbin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Patriot
    i have not heard if Mr Oberweis is thinking of running. he would be a very good replacement for durbin.
    ITA. I think I will google and see what I come up with perhaps an email might get him to think about running now that Illegal Immigration is practically a solo electable issue.

UPDATE: I googled him came up with his email address from his 2004 campaign and sent the following:

Dear Mr. Oberweis:

I am a member of ALIPAC.us and a resident of Illinois. As you are probably aware, both Durbin and Obama are huge fans of LaRaza and staunch advocates of illegal immigration. As a concerned citizen/voter, I have written to both of them on several occasions to express my unhappiness with their support of LaRaza, Elvira Arellano, the failed shamnesty bill and most recently the DREAM Act.

I am writing to you in the hope that you may be considering a run against Durbin. If so, I assure you that the members of ALIPAC and other PAC's against illegal immigration who are fed up with the lack of enforcement of our laws would help to get the word out regarding your candidacy and stance against illegal immigration by any means available.

Please think about it, Illinois needs you.

Sincerely,
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Patriot
    ITA. I think I will google and see what I come up with perhaps an email might get him to think about running now that Illegal Immigration is practically a solo electable issue.
    i just googled him and all i can find is chatter he may run for USA House. if you find an email address for him please post i'll do the same.

[quote=Lone_Patriot][quote=WhatMattersMost][quote="Lone_Patriot":ayw8cyjq]i have not heard if Mr Oberweis is thinking of running. he would be a very good replacement for durbin.[/quote]
    ITA. I think I will google and see what I come up with perhaps an email might get him to think about running now that Illegal Immigration is practically a solo electable issue.[/quote]

i just googled him and all i can find is chatter he may run for USA House. if you find an email address for him please post i'll do the same.[/quote:ayw8cyjq]

Here ya go:

[email="jim@oberweis2004.com"]jim@oberweis2004.com[/email]

His website is still up as well. I sent him an email (see UPDATE post above this one. ) Will let you know when I get a response.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

this is an interesting article and chat:

http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illin ... shirt.html

Wednesday, June 06, 2007
    Senator Oberweis, Congressman Lauzen
    Listen to this article. Powered by Odiogo.com

by Robert Shirtliffe

Denny Hastert still hasn't announced whether he is running for U.S. Congress in 2008, but there's already a lineup anxiously waiting to dash off the starting block.

Conservative leaders are getting letters this week from State Senator Chris Lauzen, who's asking for help to convince Aurora area dairyman Jim Oberweis to stay out of the race to fill Hastert's seat.

Lauzen, along with Dave Syverson, are the last two of the "Fab 5" conservative senators first elected in 1992, along with Peter Fitzgerald, Pat O'Malley and Steve Rauschenberger. Lauzen has been treading lightly, waiting for Hastert's announcement, but apparently feels it necessary to move now to get Oberweis out of the race.

Over the weekend, one pro-Lauzen Republican strategist publicly urged Oberweis to run for U.S. Senate. One wonders what exactly Oberweis did to the strategist to cause him to propose such a ridiculous and embarrassing idea -- running Oberweis against Durbin.

On the other hand, maybe the Republican strategist (who shall remain nameless and whose advice is ignored most of the time anyway) is close to a good idea. Oberweis should let Lauzen run for Hastert's seat and then Oberweis should slip into Lauzen's in the state senate. Seems like a genuine compromise for the legislatively non-experienced Jim Oberweis.

But I'm not sure Oberweis' hot shot political consultants will agree. Those whispering in his ear are tough and demand lots of $$ for their street smarts. Running a mere state senatorial race may be beneath them and they'll work to convince Oberweis that he's settling for less than what he's entitled. It's Economics 101.

If Oberweis is serious, he would be smart to take my free advice: win a state senate seat. Sometimes reality sucks.

But being a political gentleman by letting Chris Lauzen run sans a GOP primary will work well for Oberweis to fill his gravitas gap. And it's not political chopped liver to lead towards regaining a Republican senate majority while fighting the bad Dems.

After all, the Illinois Senate springboarded a top tier potential towards the White House . . . you just never know.

Posted by Robert Shirtliffe | Permalink
    TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
    http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/598467/19083850

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Senator Oberweis, Congressman Lauzen :
    Comments

Robert,

You are correct in all things, except that Econ 101 does not deal with "entitlement." That is a sort of noblesse oblige under which royalty -- by birth or by wealth -- enable certain privileges, droit de la signoir being only one.

I guess the Oberweis camp followers believe that in exchange for bad race choices he deserves the best remaining.

Oberweis would learn a lot as Senator in Springfield. Chris Lauzen has refined that knowledge into political strength.

Posted by: Pete Speer | Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 01:13 PM

I agree that St. Sen. Lauzen should be elected to Congress and that Jim Oberweis should be appointed to the state senate. Oberweis shouldn't consider running for a statewide office. He lost statewide elections in 2002, '04, and '06, so he shouldn't think that he could win a statewide election in 2008.

Posted by: PhilCollins | Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 04:20 PM

Phil Collins doesnt understand the laws of being a champion...or winning a political seat.

The same old negative pessimistic views spew out of some Republicans mouths.

Tell Home Run King Babe Ruth that he should NOT be a Home Run King because he was by- the-way also a strike out king!!

Stiking out a million times is the path to being a home run King.

Phil, Shame on YOU!! YOU are supporting John Cox at his run for President!
    IF you belived your OWN advice, you need to ditch him QUICK!!!

After all I was on Beyond the Beltway with John Cox and he told me , Bruce Dumont and the other guest Dan That he really didn't want to be President anyway! So, WHY is he even running??

He told us he has already spent 800,000 on his campaign. Last time I checked, NOBODY would spend that kind of money and say they do not really want the job??

Posted by: Rosanna Pulido | Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 06:48 PM

Fellow Illinois Republicans, my only question for all concerned is.. what will help rebuild the tattered Illinois Republican party? Once that question is answered, everything else will fall into place.

Posted by: JstRon | Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 07:47 AM

Rosanna, I don't support John Cox. I promote his campaign because I work for a P.R. company who works for him. I arranged for John to be interviewed tomorrow, at 5:15, on WGN-AM, but I didn't tell anyone that I'll vote for him.

Posted by: PhilCollins | Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 11:31 AM

I feel like I'm missing something... Is there a good reason to think Hastert won't hand over his seat to the preferred candidate after the primary?

Posted by: Battletoad | Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 11:54 AM

I'm sorry to say this, but the Republican Party in this state seemed to be in self destruct mode after the Alan Keyes nomination.

If Hastert decides to run, and then drops out, the "Party" will pick a candidate, not the people.

The media roasted Jim Oberweis. There's no reason to believe that they won't do it again. You have all these state-funded illegal immigration groups with money to burn to get their word out, while we try and collect S&H Green Stamps to turn into airtime.

At this point we need to start using common sense. Chris Lauzen has been speaking up about the things that most concern us. He's on the same page and the media likes him....for now. He IS the most logical candidate right now.

It also makes a lot a sense to let Oberweis take the vacant seat. His foot will be in the door then, and lets face it....we need all the feet in the door we can get right now.

Posted by: Bill O'Neill | Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 07:39 PM

If oberweis employees that disbarred, waco, dummy Doug Ibendahl than he's history..period

Posted by: Steve Micheal | Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 10:05 PM

To his credit Oberweis spoke out on the problems associated with illegal aliens before it was popular to do so. I'd be happy with him anywhere in office.

If the libs attack him on it, it will only serve to add to the party base. This topic is now on people's radar and would play very well in the area he is running in. It certainly would be a stark contrast to Linda (I am a Mexican first)Chapa-LaVia, a likely Democrat challenger.

Posted by: tfb | Friday, June 08, 2007 at 02:53 AM
    [/b]

This is his congressional exploratory site: http://oberweis2008.com/

thanks!

Way to Go, glad to see you are on top of this!! Durbin needs to go for sure!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ALERT!!.....Senator Specter was talking of giving green cards to all illegals on the Senate Floor last night. Time to nip this in the bud right away!! We need calls, faxes and e-mails going out right away!!! PLEASE GET INVOLVED!! iNFORMATION AT LINK BELOW!!
    CONTACT NUMBERS:
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=68216
    BLITZ AND INFORMATION THREAD!!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... sc&start=0
    -----------"ALIPAC SUMMER FUND RAISER"-----------
    PLEASE help ALIPAC stay in the fight against illegal immigration!!!!
    WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT ALIPAC???
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=75673
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)