Hollywood Mogul Saban Pushed Clinton About Refugee Vetting Concerns

Hollywood mogul Haim Saban’s call last year for “more scrutiny” of Muslim refugees brought a rebuke from one of Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s top advisers, an email released...

October 24, 2016 Brendan Kirby
Posted with permission from Lifezette
Republish
Reprint

Hollywood mogul Haim Saban's call last year for "more scrutiny" of Muslim refugees brought a rebuke from one of Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton's top advisers, an email released Monday by WikiLeaks shows.

Saban's comments appeared on the website TheWrap in November of last year. He called the Paris terrorist attacks a "wake-up call" and noted that repr
esentatives from the Islamic State have publicly stated their intention to infiltrate refugee streams to export terror beyond the Middle East.

"But what you are saying about Muslims not consistent with HRC. Are you aware of that?"

"They're saying they're now going to Washington. Watch out, they might," the article quoted him as saying. "I'm not suggesting we put Muslims through some kind of a torture room to get them to admit that they are or they're not terrorists. But I am saying we should have more scrutiny."

Hollywood talent agent Michael Kives criticized the story and the writer, Itay Hod.

"I think Itay Hod is such an amateur of a reporter," he wrote in an email to Saban. "I won't speak to him anymore. I don't like the way he writes, and I don't think he's intelligent. (Just between us)"

Saban forwarded the email to Clinton's campaign staff, evidently proud that he had knocked Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders -- Clinton's chief primary rival -- and Republicans Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Donald Trump, without mentioning them by name.

Although campaign adviser and longtime Clinton aide Huma Abedin thanked Saban for sharing the article, she took umbrage at the comments about Muslims.
"But what you are saying about Muslims not consistent with HRC," she wrote. "Are you aware of that?"

Saban fired back: "What I said was that we should scrutinize the Muslim immigrants ,,,,,if we take France as an example of what happens when millions of people enter a country w/no scrutiny, our lives are put in jeopardy,,,,,Life before liberty,,,,, I am not aware of what her position is on this."

Saban, who along with his wife gave $2 million to the pro-Clinton Priorities USA super PAC and hosted a fundraiser that brought in another $2 million, expressed concern about unchecked refugees from Syria that appears more in line with critics than with Clinton. The Democratic nominee is on record favoring an increase to President Obama's refugee program to 65,000 Syrians per year.

"I'm not in a position to tell you whether 10,000 or 65,000 or half a million is the right number," he told TheWrap. "I don't have an opinion on that. But I do have an opinion on the scrutiny. Scrutinize every single individual. There is no data available from Syria. The country is completely in turmoil. It's all a judgment call of the person conducting the interview. So it's too dangerous."

Saban's view has good company. Several senior intelligence and law enforcement officials in the administration of President Obama have said that it is impossible to ensure that terrorists posing as refugees from war-torn Syria will not end up in the United States.

In the interview, Saban also rejected the views of "very liberal" members of the Hollywood community who favor civil liberties more than life.

"I disagree with that," he said. "You want to be free and dead? I'd rather be not free and alive."

https://hedgeaccordingly.com/2016/10...-concerns.html