Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Homeland Security chief Elaine Duke just made Trump's Puerto Rico problem worse

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Homeland Security chief Elaine Duke just made Trump's Puerto Rico problem worse

Homeland Security chief Elaine Duke just made Trump's Puerto Rico problem worse

Analysis by Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large
    Updated 2:53 PM ET, Thu September 28, 2017

Washington (CNN)After spending the weekend tweeting about the NFL and why its owners should force players to stand during the National Anthem, President Donald Trump has spent this week playing catchup on the still-unfolding humanitarian crisis in the wake of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

On Thursday afternoon, acting Homeland Security head Elaine Duke made that task even more complicated. Duke was asked by reporters at the White House whether she was satisfied with the federal government's response to Hurricane Maria and the devastation it has wrought.

Here's her answer (bolding is mine):

"I am very satisfied. I know it's a hard storm to recover from but the amount of progress that's been made, and I really would appreciate any support that we get. I know it is really a good news story in terms of our ability to reach people and the limited number of deaths that have taken place in such a devastating hurricane."

Remember the context here. Puerto Rico is dealing with mass devastation. They have no power. Food is in short supply. So is water.

Given that some of those most basic needs aren't being met -- and the fact that Trump's administration has come under fire for not moving as aggressively to address the devastation caused by Maria as it did for hurricanes Irma and Harvey -- Duke's comment feels deeply out of touch.

Remember that just yesterday, Trump had to defend himself from criticism he was distracted from Puerto Rico by his NFL fight. "Was I preoccupied? Not at all," Trump told reporters Wednesday. "Not at all. I have plenty of time on my hands. All I do is work."

Focusing on process is almost never a good thing for politicians -- and that goes double or even triple when you are dealing with ANY loss of life or ANY sort of humanitarian crisis.

Which is exactly what Duke did in that quote. It's not a "good news story." It is is a human tragedy that has cost 16 people in Puerto Rico their lives. Talking in any terms except those -- especially when the problems are ongoing -- is a giant mistake.

That's not to say that politics isn't involved in all of this. Of course it is. Anytime the country -- or the world -- is all watching a single event unfolding, there will be political consequences. But you don't talk about the politics when people don't have enough food or water. It's unsavory in the extreme.

Duke's comments come on the same day that Trump reversed course -- waiving the Jones Act, which will allow more foreign ships to land in Puerto Rican ports and, presumably, bring the food and water people desperately need. (On Wednesday, Trump told reporters he was thinking about waiving the Jones Act but that a lot of shipping companies didn't want him to do it.) He also appointed a three-star general named Jeffrey Buchanan to lead military efforts in support of Puerto Rico's recovery.

Those moves will likely be clouded by Duke's comments, which she will, almost certainly, have to apologize for.
    For an administration that needed a week -- at least -- of flawless execution to regain its footing on Maria and Puerto Rico, Duke's comments represent yet another stumble.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/28/politi...ria/index.html
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Has there been a nomination yet for a permanent Secretary of Homeland Security? I'd say it's time to either move Kelly back there, he knows how to do this stuff, or name the new one immediately.

Just my opinion.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Has there been a nomination yet for a permanent Secretary of Homeland Security? I'd say it's time to either move Kelly back there, he knows how to do this stuff, or name the new one immediately.

Just my opinion.
    Personally, I'd prefer John Kelly just retire because I don't think we need an amnesty supporter in the White House or heading DHS.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Then Trump needs to move on his new nominee for DHS and get that confirmed as soon as possible, Duke is in over her head and outside of her politics.

CNN and Hollywood are pushing the narrative that nothing is being done. In this video, the governor of Puerto Rico interviews with Chrsi Cuomo of CNN. It did not go the way Cuomo planned.

\

Article at:

http://www.alipac.us/f9/gov-puerto-r...3/#post1569123

Some of our stations on cable were off this morning so instead of watching Fox and Friends, I had to watch CNN and saw that interview. The Governor was on a roll talking all about all the things being done and eventually Cuomo couldn't stand it, cut him off, and delivered the narrative he wanted himself because he couldn't get it from the Governor of Puerto Rico. It would be funny, if it weren't so sad that CNN and a member of the Cuomo Family would attempt to falsify the efforts of our tens of thousands of rescue workers in Puerto Rico to push the anti-Trump campaign.

Shameful! What's already been accomplished in Puerto Rico in such a short period of time is amazing. It's hard to believe CNN and the Cuomos would stoop this low when airports are already open, hospitals are open, stores are open, banks are open. Docks are full of ships and supplies to re-stock. The island is full of FEMA, Army Corps of Engineers, and US military personnel cleaning up, clearing out, organizing, delivering, searching, rescuing, assessing and yes doing the hard, tedious and dangerous work to restore services and help Puerto Rico get back on its feet again.