Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Homeland Security Crackdown on Transportation??

I work as an independent contract courier and the company owner asked me today where I was born. He told me Homeland Security was cracking down on fraudulent I.D.'s and he had to update all files every 6 months. It carries a $25,000 fine and prison time for non-compliance. Background checks has to be carried out on all contractors and he said he has been using the Basic Pilot Program and it was really simple and fast...only takes a few seconds. His words to me...."It's about damn time."!!

I don't know if this is only in the transportation sector or what other areas it applies to, but if it is, wouldn't this be a problem for Mexican truckers?? I try and get more information. I know this was a recent happening.

I don't see how it could be a problem for Mexican truckers - they will admittedly be Mexican, just driving on our highways, courtesy of our politicians.

Do you know exactly what is involved in the Basic Pilot Program?

I have heard it only verifies that the SS# is valid - is that true?

Does it match the number with a name?

With a sex?

With an age?

Do you know?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I meant to ask him, but I'm assuming that it's, maybe, tied to place of birth???!! I ask tomorrow. I don't think the BPP does anything more than tell if a SSN is valid or fake.

Will Mexican truckers have a background check?? I know they won't allow a trucker to enter Canada if they have a drug charge against them. I wonder how many of those Mexican truckers will be former deportees??

Making the Electronic Eligibility Verification (EEV)/Basic Pilot Program Work for Your Business

Section 401 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (IIRIRA - Public Law 104-20 required the federal government to establish pilot programs to verify the employment eligibility of new hires.

Participation in the Electronic Eligibility Verification (EEV)/Basic Pilot Employment Program is voluntary and has been available for every business in the country since late 2004.

Step 1 - Under the Electronic Eligibility Verification (EEV)/Basic Pilot Employment Program, an employer who elects to participate signs a Memorandum of Understanding (click here to learn more about this) with the Social Security Administration and the (now) Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that spells out the responsibilities of each party. Then, when an employer hires a new employee, he first satisfies current law by having the employee fill out an I-9 form within three business days of hire.

The I-9 simply states the employee's name, date of birth, social security number, and an attestation that the employee is a United States citizen, lawful permanent resident, or alien authorized to work in the U.S. The employee presents to the employer either one document establishing both identity and work authorization (e.g., a U.S. passport or green card) or two documents that together establish identity and work authorization (e.g., a driver's license and a social security card). The employer examines them to make sure they reasonably appear to be valid (i.e., the photo is not taped on the driver's license) and records the document number, issuing agency and expiration date, if any, on the I-9. Then, the employer signs an attestation on the I-9 saying that he has examined the documents and they appear valid.

Step 2 - Once the I-9 is done, the employer logs onto a secure DHS website, enters the employee's full name, date of birth and social security number. He chooses from a drop-down box which document/combination of documents the employee presented, and then clicks the submit button. The information about the employee is transmitted immediately to the SSA (Social Security Administration).

Step 3 - If the SSN (social security number) and the name match SSA records, the employer receives a message within two or three seconds that the employee is authorized to work and the process is finished.

If the SSN and name match, but the SSA cannot verify that the employee is work authorized (i.e., the SSN may have been issued "not for employment purposes") the employer gets a message that DHS is attempting to verify work authorization. DHS usually responds within 24 hours, but the law gives it three days, since it has to check its records by hand if the automated check does not match the name and immigration document. If DHS finds a match, it tells the employer and the process is finished. Otherwise, the employer is told to have the employee check with DHS directly to clear up the problem.

To Hire or Not to Hire - If the SSN and name do not match, the employer receives a message to refer the employee to SSA to clear up the problem.

In either case where the employee is referred to SSA/DHS, the employer will be notified within 10 days that either work authorization is confirmed or not confirmed, in which case the employer must terminate the employee.

Related items:
    - Benefits of the Electronic Eligibility Verification (EEV)/Basic Pilot Program
    - How to Start Using the Electronic Eligibility Verification (EEV)/Basic Pilot Program
    - Federal "Basic Pilot" Verification Program is an Effective and Business-friendly Tool
    - Who's A Legal Employee
    - Introduction to the IMAGE program
    - IMAGE Program FAQ
    - Simple Policy Change Helps Businesses Avoid Illegal-Alien Embarrassment
    - View Smart Businesses in your area that use the Electronic Eligibility Verification (EEV)/Basic Pilot Program
    - Questions and Answers about the Electronic Eligibility Verification (EEV)/Basic Pilot Program

http://www.smartbusinesspractices.com/l ... cpilot.php

"DHS usually responds within 24 hours, but the law gives it three days, "

But they were going to do security checks in 1 day for citizenship under the Z visa? The checks had to be done the same day presented. So if you "presented" at 3:00 pm, they only had an hour or two to do it.....strange isn't it?

Some things I don't know about:

What does 'work authorized' mean.

And what does 'not for employment purpose' mean?

So if the name and SS# match, or don't match, I guess that clinches it.

On the surface, this seems like it would catch almost all of the stolen or fake SS#'s, doesn't it? Somehow, though, I wonder.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Participation in the Electronic Eligibility Verification (EEV)/Basic Pilot Employment Program is voluntary and has been available for every business in the country since late 2004.

Step 1 - Under the Electronic Eligibility Verification (EEV)/Basic Pilot Employment Program, an employer who elects to participate signs a Memorandum of Understanding (click here to learn more about this) with the Social Security Administration and the (now) Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that spells out the responsibilities of each party. Then, when an employer hires a new employee, he first satisfies current law by having the employee fill out an I-9 form within three business days of hire.

EEV Basic Pilot Employment Program is VOLUNTARY. YET in Step 1 it says "Then, when an employer hires a new employee, he first satisfies CURRENT LAW, by having the employee fill out a I-9 form within three business days of hire.

Let's see this is a voluntary law????????????? Isn't this a oxymoron????

How lax it is...

I own and drive a Tractor Trailer.. In 2006 I was in Parksburg,Pa.. I noticed a nice road tractor, Red Volvo 770, all messed up... I could tell he was lost and confused.. He was stopped in the middle of the street..If he went 100 yards further the local police would have written him a $400.00 ticket for a 53foot trailer in Parksburg...
    I tried to talk with him on the CB there was no answer.. Then he turns into the parking lot.. A guy jumps out of the shotgun seat with a some kind of paper in his hand.. He runs up to the sign and starts to compare the letters on the sign to his paper.. I walk up and ask if I could help, I am old school one breaks down 20 pulls over to help.. This guy pushes the B.O.L in my face and starts to point to the paper and point to the sign..
    He speaks Zero English.. So I walk over to the driver... Same thing Zero English... I tried to say you have to go and check in.. Nothing but a blank look with black bags under his eyes... The guy handed me a cell phone, interpreter, and they got to the office.. A long story short as I can make it... I am a hero... I called Parksburg police, I know they have a DOT cop.. They write more 53 foot tickets in that town then anywhere.. After 2 hours on and off the phone I gave them the Truck tag and DOT#s.. I leave and my friend was pulling in to get unloaded... He called me and said, Just after I left DOT pulled in with a tow truck and went over that truck from head to tail and confiscated it... You must be able to read and speak English to drive a rig.... They impounded the truck and can't release it until someone with a A licence and can speak English shows up... BTW Russian, I think..

Latest trick; have a cell phone with a speaker hanging from the shirt and an interpreter on the phone.. The speaker picks up the voice and tells the guy what to say.. At this point he is just a parrot...

Ya, just think what we'll have when the super highway from Mexico to Canada goes through. SCARY.

I may have it all wrong, but I am under the impression the Superhighway is going to have limited access - so maybe the Mexican drivers will get on it and can't get off - kinda us on that PA turnpike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast