Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

How's this any different than Federal drug laws?

Never mind which side of THAT debate you're on... it is expected that the states and localities enforce these laws. And they do. In fact, most are extremely vigilant about it.

Why should enforcing Federal immigration laws be any different?
    Just because you're used to something doesn't make it right.

Edstate, look at the bigger picture. Jorge BOOSH will never secure our borders and enforce our immigration laws. A secure border of a soverign nation goes against all principles of the north american union.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

I hear 'ya sippy, and agree.

But my point is this:

Every time a Hazelton or Farmers Branch decides to take matters into their own hands, the nay sayers claim that the States and Localities don't have the "jurisdiction" to enforce Federal Immigration Law.

But the opposite is true regarding Federal Drug Laws.

How come?

No one else thinks this is an interesting parallel?

...I think it may be an IMPORTANT one...

The sad thing about this is many people may not know that according to 287 (g), this clause allows agreements or contracts to be made between ICE and local authorities so that local authorities can enforce immigration laws.
    So simply saying "This is the job of the federal government." is just an excuse. I understand that many town and communities may not have the resources to do this. It certainly is a mess!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edstate
    No one else thinks this is an interesting parallel?

...I think it may be an IMPORTANT one...
    Not really. There are all sorts of laws that we could hold up to the same comparison.

I have previously explained a monetary reason that may be behind the allowing of all these immigrants to enter the country. Specifically, when these guys obtain an SSN or ITIN, they may be monetized in order to increase the federal debt ceiling. Given the cost of the "War on Terror" and other reasons for the exploding debt, this may have been a tactical decision made to avert a monetary crisis. Few people are even aware of this mechanism, which is why I brought it up. It's an example of how the machinations behind our increasingly arcane system of governance and money/credit drives policies that may seem utterly unrelated.

Well, at the very least I think it's a good retort to "that's the Fed's problem, not ours". ...we enforce the drug laws and other federal laws at the state and local level, so why's this any exception?

As for the "larger" reasons for some of our government's policies... yeah. It's a problem and it's scary. ...I think you could throw in consumer debt into that as well.

Whether your theory is right or not, as a nation, we are not on very solid ground due to the politicians letting corps get away with murder for decades. The housing market was a pump and dump by the fed and the govt, and now they're desperately trying to avoid the "dump." With all this insanity, their stance now is "we can't rock the boat or our economy will collapse"... so... let's legalize all the nefarious stuff we've been doing!

Bollocks I say.