Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GFC

Hurricane evacuees fit in, say learning Spanish is a must

Hurricane evacuees fit in, say learning Spanish is a must

Ramon Bracamontes
    El Paso Times

Two months ago, they were unexpectedly sent to El Paso.

They were wooed into calling this city home by the friendliest people they had ever met.

Now, some Hurricane Katrina evacuees are learning that if you don't speak Spanish in this city, you can't really settle in.

While the former New Orleans residents say that for the most part, their material and medical needs are being met, some find their ability to live comfortably in El Paso is hampered by the fact they don't speak Spanish.

The communication gap is worse for those who are older and living alone.

"I'm trying to learn Spanish as fast as I can," said JoAnn Lawrence, a New Orleans resident who now lives at the Chelsea Housing. "But there is no way you can get along if you don't speak Spanish. My neighbor desperately wants to talk to me, but she doesn't speak English. Even the bus drivers here don't speak English."

About 435 people were sent to El Paso from New Orleans on Sept. 4, soon after Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast. For 13 days, most of these evacuees lived at the Judson F. Williams Convention Center.

By day 13, the Salvation Army in El Paso had helped 692 New Orleans residents. Of those, 210 families decided to stay here, either by choice or because they had nowhere else to go. Today, 286 New Orleans families are living in El Paso.

"We have more because those here have called others who were displaced and told them El Paso is a good place to be," said Guadalupe Daley, Salvation Army development director.

The Salvation Army is continuing to do social casework on the families and evacuees who want help.

"Some have told us to leave them alone because they have jobs, kids are in school and they are doing very well," Daley said. "But for the most part, they are all adjusting well."

Lawrence, 68, said that she is settling in but that getting around and talking to people remains a problem. She got lost in the Downtown one day, and it took a while for her to find someone who could help her because everyone she approached spoke Spanish.

"It's scary," she said.

Lionel Johnson, 58, is another New Orleans resident now living in El Paso. He says he can't make a living in El Paso because he is a musician. In New Orleans, he played in the French Quarter, which thrived on the tourist business. And he can't find a job because he doesn't speak Spanish.

"Not to disparage El Paso, but this isn't a major tourist destination," he said. "And you have to play Mexican music here, not jazz, and I only play New Orleans-style music. I'm learning the Spanish music, but I still don't think I can make a living off it here."

University of Texas at El Paso anthropology Professor Josiah Heyman said that what the New Orleans residents are feeling is real, and that the language problem is a major barrier.

"If you don't understand the language and people around you are speaking it," he said, "the impression is that they are ignoring you or talking about you. They do feel that."

According to 2004 U.S. Census Bureau information, El Paso County is now 80.4 percent Hispanic. That is an increase from 77.9 percent Hispanic in 2000.

Heyman said the New Orleans evacuees with relatives or children in school should be able to adapt more easily to El Paso and its bilingual culture.

Those who are older, because they may be around older El Pasoans who don't speak English, will find it tougher to adapt.

"The other barrier is that the majority of the blue-collar positions in El Paso are disproportionately held by people who do not speak English," Heyman said. "If that is who you interact with, then it will be tough on you."

But Barbara Butts, the executive director of the McCall Neighborhood Center, which continues to work with and help New Orleans families, said that getting past the language difference is possible for everyone. The McCall Center helped about 20 evacuees get winter coats last week.

"Spanish is a major part of El Paso's culture," Butts said. "If you plan to stay in El Paso, language is a barrier you need to get past."

Butts said New Orleans residents must understand that just because someone is speaking Spanish doesn't mean the person doesn't speak English, and that it is OK to approach those speaking Spanish to ask for help.

"Finding people who speak English here is not a problem," she said.

Other evacuees living in El Paso, and those who are checking in on them, also said that most have adjusted well, but that most are trying to learn Spanish while trying to fit it.

Pastor Steve Alvarez, of the Vineyard Christian Fellowship, said that after Ursula Bernard's family moved into the home on the church's grounds in Northeast El Paso, his membership asked what's next.

"We make them a part of our family," Alvarez said.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/apps/pbcs...plate=printart

Man

Re: Hurricane evacuees fit in, say learning Spanish is a mus

Quote Originally Posted by GFC
    "Some have told us to leave them alone because they have jobs, kids are in school and they are doing very well," Daley said. "But for the most part, they are all adjusting well."
    This is usually the case when people, rather than whining and moaning, take it upon themselves to adjust to their new environment and strive to succeed. Bravo!

GFC
    "I'm trying to learn Spanish as fast as I can," said JoAnn Lawrence, a New Orleans resident who now lives at the Chelsea Housing. "But there is no way you can get along if you don't speak Spanish. My neighbor desperately wants to talk to me, but she doesn't speak English. Even the bus drivers here don't speak English."
    How in the hell can the city bus system get away with having drivers who dont speak a word of english. This is outrageous.

QUOTE:
    Lawrence, 68, said that she is settling in but that getting around and talking to people remains a problem. She got lost in the Downtown one day, and it took a while for her to find someone who could help her because everyone she approached spoke Spanish.

"It's scary," she said.

Lionel Johnson, 58, is another New Orleans resident now living in El Paso. He says he can't make a living in El Paso because he is a musician. In New Orleans, he played in the French Quarter, which thrived on the tourist business. And he can't find a job because he doesn't speak Spanish.

"Not to disparage El Paso, but this isn't a major tourist destination," he said. "And you have to play Mexican music here, not jazz, and I only play New Orleans-style music. I'm learning the Spanish music, but I still don't think I can make a living off it here."

YOU SAY "BRAVO" TO THIS, MAN
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Now, some Hurricane Katrina evacuees are learning that if you don't speak Spanish in this city, you can't really settle in.
    What an interesting article.

Some might think it is "whining and moaning" to complain about this language issue but you try learning a second or third language when you are getting old enough so you can't remember what you ate for breakfast! Trust me, it isn't easy. Compound that short term memory loss that comes naturally with the stress of having just lost everything you owned in a hurricane and see what happens.

I happen to live in this damn city where you can't get a job if you don't speak Spanish and I can tell you right now that I resent it greatly! And the problem doesn't get better, it gets worse with the number of immigrants, legal and illegal, who cross this border every day. There are people who don't even live here but who come across the border daily to work at jobs that should be for Americans.

Fortunately for the Katrina victims, they had someone to help them find these five dollar an hour jobs that are available because we have such an influx of people from across the border that employers don't have to pay a decent wage. What about the new military wives and other people who get stuck here who don't have help to find work? Not that I begrudge help for the hurricane victims, just that is isn't a normal option for people who find themselves here.

I challenge anyone to go to WalMart or any grocery store in El Paso and see how many employees don't speak English. It seems that you only have to be bi-lingual if your first language IS English. How frustrating can that be for people who got dropped off here with nothing but the clothes on their backs after living in the United States where English is the spoken language?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

PS/ and I made that comment in the last sentence on purpose about "living in the United States."

El Paso may be on the US side of the border but it certainly is not anything like living in the United States. The cultrure here is entirely Mexican, there are more Mexican flags than American in many parts of town. Last count said 78% of the population is Hispanic. I believe it is closer to 90%.

Americans who don't live in towns along the Mexican border should count their blessings. There may be pockets of foreigners in inland cities but think about what it would be like to live in a city where you have pockets of Americans. I realize that many of the Mexicans here are supposedly American citizens but most don't seem to view that as a privilege. If they did, they wouldn't be flying Mexican flags, celebrating Mexican holidays and ignoring American holidays, or allowing their brethren to do it either.

GFC
    JuniusJnr, sorry to hear the sad news

I used to live in El Paso back in the 70's. My father was stationed at Ft Bliss for 5 yrs. I graduated from Parkland HS in 75 . I left El Paso after I graduated from HS and have never been back. Sounds like El Paso is becoming more like Juarez, very sad.

GFC, I live within walking distance of Parkland. There are 2 non-Mexican families on my street and that is pretty much the case, if even 2, on the streets all around here now.

GFC
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniusJnr
    GFC, I live within walking distance of Parkland. There are 2 non-Mexican families on my street and that is pretty much the case, if even 2, on the streets all around here now.
    Oh my God. If I remember correctly Parland HS was something like 70 % white when I graduated from there back in 75. My have things changed. Glad I left.

While the former New Orleans residents say that for the most part, their material and medical needs are being met, some find their ability to live comfortably in El Paso is hampered by the fact they don't speak Spanish.

This is really sad. Sounds like someone should call the ACLU since they are obviously being discriminated against!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast