Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I changed my voter registration today

Yes, I finally did it this morning. After being a life long Democrat and being so angered in recent years at the stances most Democratic candidates take regarding illegal immigration, I changed to an Independent.

In Arizona as an Independent I can vote in primary elections and I may select which party's candidates I'd like to give my vote. I always have been one who votes for the candidate and not the party. Now I may vote for the candidate that is running for the Congressional seat held by the awful Raul Grijalva. Unfortunately Ron Drake has opposition for the primary by a flaky perennial candidate that wouldn't go away. He needs my vote in the primary. Unfortunately the "flake" has name recognition because he's ran so many times before.

Why is it that Democratic candidates today feel that being a Democrat means "far left?" If more Democrat would think for themselves and not follow the party line, maybe there wouldn't be so many defectors to Independent.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Way to Go Mapwife! I'm a split ticket and I avoid primarys unless there is a real dog in the race that I want to keep from being elected. That way, I don't get branded as a member of either party.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What's really disturbing is the choices we have when it comes to voting. I hate voting for the "lesser of two evils". I, too, have become an Independent. I never agreed with the "tringle down" theory of the Republicans. I've been a registered Democrat for years, but they have gone off the deep end. BEWARE OF SHEEP IN WOLVES CLOTHES is my cry for today. Some Republicans and Democrats are pretending to be against illegal immigration and closing the borders. But I've taken a close look at their voting records and have found out that they are speaking with a forked tongue. Rick Santorum is a prime example in PA.

mapwife: I hope - although I don't know - that what you're doing will send both parties a message about their stance on the position. I hope more folks like you do exactly the same. Please do let the Democrats know why you're 'leaving'! I did! They might benefit from the 'reality-check'.

I changed from Democrat to Independent about 2 years ago. Mostly, this was to have greater flexibility leading up to the 2004 elections (basically, that included all the US Reps, 1 US Senate race, and the Prez - oh, I mean 'Decider' elections) in my state. Oh yes, I live a very 'blue' city in a very 'blue' state as well. Further, I am a bit unusual in that I'm socially fairly conservative, but fiscally 'progressive'.

In the recent CA-50th congressional election... Bilbray was outspent by Busby by approx. 2:1 and, despite numerous Republican challengers leading up to the run-off, he...still won! He characterized the win as follows (undoubtedly old news to many...):

From Steinreport: http://www.steinreport.com/archives/2006_06_13.html and
    http://www.opensecrets.org/races/summar ... 06&id=CA50

"'There was one issue and only one issue that allowed me to be elected,' Mr. Bilbray said. 'It was not my experience, it was not my hard work, and God knows it wasn't my intellect. It was the fact the people in the 50th District wanted something done, they wanted a job and a message sent to Washington that now and here is the time to address illegal immigration."

[apologies for typos or bad grammar...it's still early out here on the left-coast]
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Posie
    I've been a registered Democrat for years, but they have gone off the deep end.
    The Democratic party has been taken over by the far left. I'm switching to Independent too.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Mapwife, I to am going to change my voting regristration, to independent, I was a democrat for most of my adult life, changed during the Clinton yrs to republican, now am switching to Independent and there I will stay!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Good to hear from all you wise people. I was really hoping that after the last general election there would be a large national push for people switch to independent, but unfortunately it didn't happen because no strong group was behind it. There's been a trend for growing independent registrations nationwide for several years and hopefully the momentum will continue. This way neither party can get a hand on how the people will vote, just by party affiliation alone. Both parties need this kind of swift kick in the pants.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

After being a life long Democrat
    That’s me ... at 62 I am changing my party to independent .... it is hard to do after so many years but I have to follow through ... It is not the so called 'far left' .. It is the abandonment of the working American. The party seems to think that if they can get the illegals to vote it will help get them back into control ... I have news for them ... its the people like us that they are pushing out of the party that will cause them to stay out of power and that REALLY hurts me...
    "One Flag ... One Language ... ONE COUNTRY"....... Teddy Roosevelt

Good for you, Mapwife,

You've just reminded me that I need to get my behind in gear and change my party affiliation too. I actually tried to do this about 3 years ago and even before I became aware of the illegal alien mess. When moving and filling out a new voter reg. card, I indicated that I wanted to change from a Democrat to an Independent. Apparently, the government employees who handle these changes missed it and my new card still listed me as a Dem. I'll get onto this and well before the November elections.

I'm thoroughly disgusted with the Dem party over illegal alien issues too. The Reps are a little better but I will vote because of the issue and not the party.

What a choice between the Demoblicans and the Republicrats.

Annie
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me