http://american-rattlesnake.org/2011...tity-politics/
I normally wouldn’t devote an entire post to mixed martial arts, especially when there are such vital issues to discuss-including the Obama administration’s continued war against the State of Arizona. The sport doesn’t particularly appeal to me as a spectator, and I’m of the opinion that if I wanted to see men who didn’t know how to throw a punch properly, I’d watch boxing.

However, I believe that an exception must be made for the much-anticipated UFC fight that will be broadcast by Fox Sports shortly. The reason being that this fight involves a fighter, Cain Velasquez, of Mexican heritage who I think embodies some of the more problematic aspects of this country’s immigration and acculturation policies with respect to Latinos.
Mr. Velasquez hails from Salinas, California, the birthplace of John Steinbeck, who immortalized his majestic, dry home in many of the 20th Century’s greatest novels. As this story points out, Velasquez takes great pride in his ethnic heritage, and exults in his ability to inspire other young boys who come from similar circumstances...