Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IL: ECC should focus on citizens first

ECC should focus on citizens first
    Letter to the Editor
    Published: 8/29/2010 12:04 AM.
    2 comments

I was disappointed to see that Elgin Community College believes the taxpayers want them to help "undocumented students," aka illegal aliens. At their recent faculty convocation they presented a breakout session on helping illegal aliens enrolled at the college. The description of the session?

"The presentation will highlight challenges undocumented students face in postsecondary education and factors that enable them to succeed. Through a better understanding of the challenges undocumented students face and the strategies they use to navigate these challenges, educators can more effectively support this vulnerable population."

Taxes are high enough and our financial struggles mount. The state is broke. Why must we focus on helping students who shouldn't be in the United States in the first place?

ECC gets almost 5 percent of my property tax money, plus additional funds from taxes I pay to the state.

Here are the ECC Education Fund revenue sources: 51.2 percent from property taxes; 30.6 percent from tuition paid by the students; 8.5 percent from the Illinois State College Board; 5 percent from the Illinois State Pension (SURS).

Even if Dr. Sam and the board believe these students are entitled to benefits, they ought to be sensitive to the desires of the people who provide the revenue. They have no right to disregard the law.

If there is a question about public sentiment, they need look no further than the failure to pass Durbin's DREAM Act. Stop playing identity politics and start focusing on our own citizens.

Sam MacKinney

Elgin

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=403930&src=
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is one of the reader comments, which I found very interesting and agree with completely:

"If ECC wants to help a young person whose parent has broken the law why not help a citizen child who is suffering though no fault of their own? How about helping a citizen child of one of our brave soldiers who is suffering though no fault of their own ? How about helping a young citizn whose parent has lost their job and the child is suffering though no fault of their own ? Start a foundation to help a few suffering citizen children if helping disadvantage youth is ECC's true objective which I very much doubt.

Do you know Mexico City has the 6th highest rated College in the world ? Do you know if a young Mexican is of a poor family they can go to college free and their parents receive a small stipen while their child is in college ? Do you know last mth Mexico's President Calderon proudly announced the unemployment rate in Mexico is 5% ?"
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    This is one of the reader comments, which I found very interesting and agree with completely:

"If ECC wants to help a young person whose parent has broken the law why not help a citizen child who is suffering though no fault of their own? How about helping a citizen child of one of our brave soldiers who is suffering though no fault of their own ? How about helping a young citizn whose parent has lost their job and the child is suffering though no fault of their own ? Start a foundation to help a few suffering citizen children if helping disadvantage youth is ECC's true objective which I very much doubt.

Do you know Mexico City has the 6th highest rated College in the world ? Do you know if a young Mexican is of a poor family they can go to college free and their parents receive a small stipen while their child is in college ? Do you know last mth Mexico's President Calderon proudly announced the unemployment rate in Mexico is 5% ?"
    I agree too ReggieMay .

We never hear about the vulnerable citizen children who need our help to go to college. The Dems,especially Durbin,Pelosi & Reid don't seem to care about these suffering children only the children of IA's.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson