Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Illegal Immigrant Births - At Your Expense

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Immigrant Births - At Your Expense

One of the big problems with the "guest worker" program.

Illegal Immigrant Births - At Your Expense

February 11, 2009
    ByByron Pitts

It was 5 a.m. and CBS News national correspondent Byron Pitts is with a woman who is nine months pregnant. She's rushed to a south Texas hospital to undergo a C-section - a $4,700 medical procedure that won't cost her a dime. She qualifies for emergency Medicaid.

<font color="#000000"><span style="font-family: Arial">

She gave birth to a healthy, 8 1/2 pound baby boy - born in America. His Mexican mother gave him an American name: Eliot.

Eliot is one of an estimated 300,000 children of illegal immigrants born in the United States every year, according to the Pew Hispanic Center. They're given instant citizenship because they are born on U.S. soil, which makes it easier for their parents to become U.S. citizens.

That's because those babies can eventually sponsor their parents - when they turn 21 years old.

As for Eliot's mother, no longer as fearful of deportation, she told CBS News her name, Fabiola, and her story.

"So your son is an American citizen. What does that mean to you?" Pitts asked.

"I am very glad that he was born. That's why I came here - so my children, my husband and I could have a better life," she said through a translator.

Back in December, when she was six months pregnant, Fabiola, her husband and their two daughters - ages 4 and 11 - crossed the Rio Grande from Mexico into the U.S.

Once on the other side of the river they walked for two hours in search of a better life and free medical care for their unborn child.

"Do many women in Mexico make the choice to have their children in the United States?" Pittsasked.

"Yes," she said through a translator. "I know people who have done that. Things are much better here in the U.S. because they help children so much more."

It's a "better" life ... that American taxpayers help pay for.

Take healthcare for example -- an estimated $1.1 billion per year for undocumented men, women and children, according to the Rand Corporation.

Joe Riley is the CEO of the McAllen Texas Medical Center near the Texas-Mexico border. Forty percent of the children born there, nearly 2,400 last year, were the babies of illegal immigrants.

Riley has seen and heard it all.

"Mothers about to give birth that walk up to the hospital still wet from swimming across the river in actual labor … dirty, wet, cold," he said.

But here to have a child?

"Here to have a child in the U.S.," he said.

McAllen is part of a large hospital system. Like all hospitals, it is mandated by law to treat all emergency-room patients, not verify citizenship.

"We have uncompensated care of over $200 million a year," Riley said.

"Of money that you'll never see again?" Pitts asked.

"Yes," he said.

Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, said: "It is not fair to the taxpayers who have to foot the bill."

Congress has all but given up on comprehensive immigration reform. But lawmakers like Smith want to solve birth citizenship to illegal immigrants, in part by challenging the 14th Amendment, which guarantees U.S. citizenship to any child born in America.

"It seems fundamentally wrong that we ought to give the greatest honor of their citizenship," Smith said. "His or her mother came across the border illegally."

Many Americans who struggle to take care of their own families think it is unfair that they should take care of a family and they are not U.S. citizens.

"I don't understand the resentment," said
    Fabiola. "I know that God will help them, too."

That's what Fabiola's doing for young Eliot. Relying on her faith, her family … and the U.S. government.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-4000401.html

Last edited by Newmexican; 03-26-2013 at 07:03 PM.

This is why insurance premiums are so high..I like it when they say free healthcare. Something most Americans can't claim, but still pay for.

working4change
    What about Americans without any healthcare??

Last edited by working4change; 03-28-2013 at 08:49 AM.

This has got to stop but I don't trust most of our pandering feel-good politicians to get real and face it. Can't blame these women for coming over like this if our country is stupid enough to allow this to continue. No such thing as free healthcare, we taxpayers, or those who pay taxes anyway, pay for it. Makes us look weak and stupid imo.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We need a tax breakdown of the Average Americans tax dollars expense. Difficulty though is getting accurate costs of many expenses that aren't reported. Then do the same for their Health Insurance Premiums being compared along with Hospital Costs and why.

Maybe people would be shocked seeing that out of your $2k, $5k, $10k or whatever a year finding a breakdown that shows that 25-30% of your money is being spent on things you surely wouldn't donate your money to under any circumstance.

Maybe we should consider that citizenship begins at inception, not delivery..