Edited on Tue May-02-06 11:21 AM by Dr. Jones
This was the sign of a counterprotester at yesterday's immigration protests. This one slogan, "Don't sneak into my house and demand your rights," encapsulates the angst many Americans feel towards illegals for a variety of reasons.

I have IMPLORED the protesters to make themselves more credible in order to get Americans to side with their cause, but unfortunately, to no avail. Yesterday I heard numerous references to the "jobs Americans won't do." This is SO DIVISIVE I can't even tell you! And yet they are STILL saying it?

Lou Dobbs on ABC's Good Morning America this morning called it, "A clear-cut attack on the American worker." Why? Because it's PATENTLY FALSE.

Illegals, hired by lawbreaking American companies, have TAKEN the jobs Americans WILL do and DO do on a daily basis. This includes restaurant work, janitorial work, construction, welding, factory work, agricultural work - all these jobs have been done by Americans since the inception of our country and continue to be done by Americans to this day!

So they're telling ME that folks in the inner city who WANT to work won't take that work? You're telling ME that the victims of Katrina who really needed to get back to work but couldn't (contractors hired illegals for the cleanup) were simply LAZY? You're telling ME that college students who will do ANYTHING to pay off their debts don't want to do the work? Bologna. Don't buy it. Because it doesn't have an ounce of truth.

Americans are hard-working to the core. It's amazing to me what some Americans do for a living - even risking their lives! Backbreaking work, hard labor, days under the hot sun and nights in bone-chilling cold weather. This willingness to do this kind of work is what made our country great! And Americans continue to do this kind of work to this very day.

The simple fact of the matter is that illegals have not only usurped the jobs Americans WILL do and DO do, but they have also put downward pressure on wages across the board, lowering take-home pay for millions of middle-class Americans. Now Americans are being passed over in favor of illegal workers - not because illegals work harder and "do the jobs Americans won't do," but because nobody can compete with a lower-paid workforce. The question is not whether Americans will stand for this, it's for how long. It is truly the "WalMartization" of the American workforce, and it simply will not sustain itself.

But what most troubles Americans is the confrontational attitude of the illegals. "We're here to STAY!" they say. "We work hard, we do jobs Americans won't do. Tomorrow we vote!" They make it sound like Americans are just stupid and lazy, and THEY are the only ones working hard. They wave the Mexican flag in our faces, in essence spitting on the very country that took them in in the first place and gave them a hope and a future. Rather than integrating, they are being divisive and confrontational. They are flouting the laws of our land (they are here illegally and they know it), and they don't even WANT to consider doing anything that might unify their cause with the American people.

And now they are demanding their "rights."

But what rights? What rights do those who are in our country ILLEGALLY have? For that matter, what right do American companies have to hire these people in the first place? I believe the answer to both is simple. None.

I am sorely disappointed in yesterday's protests. Rather than doing the things that could get the American people behind them, they have only further alienated Americans from their cause. They are becoming increasingly divisive rather than going the other direction. This is a very bad omen, and I can only hope they consider what they are doing.

"Don't sneak into my house and demand your rights."

What do you think?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... id=1080843