Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

working4change

Immigrant Recounts Experience in Detention Center

Immigrant Recounts Experience in Detention Center

An undocumented immigrant speaks on the telephone at a
    facility outfitted to hold detainees in an Arizona jail.

Hector RÃ*vera spent five months in an immigrant detention center in Arizona, where he witnessed the treatment received by undocumented migrants in those facilities, most of which are administered by private corporations.

RÃ*vera's story is one of several that are part of a report by the American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona that denounces the harsh conditions in the detention centers.

"They were five very difficult months. As people, we have the right to freedom, and to be in prison is very difficult for any human being, above all if you haven't committed any crime," the 27-year-old University of Arizona graduate said in an interview with Efe.

Immigration Advocates Protest Proposed New Jersey Detention Center

Activists rallied and marched against a plan that could use an Essex County jail to house up to 2,700 undocumented immigrants in federal custody.

Only 5 years old when his parents brought him to the United States, RÃ*vera made many sacrifices to get a college degree.

He was stopped in August 2010 for a traffic violation and classified as a "non-citizen," on the basis of which he was sent to the detention center in Florence, Arizona.

With his education and knowledge of English, RÃ*vera helped others with the translation of documents while he was detained.

"Although I was not directly the victim of any kind of abuse, I certainly saw medical cases that ended up being a little more serious than if they would have been prevented initially," he said.

The ACLU report released last month - "In Their Own Words: Enduring Abuse in Arizona Immigration Detention Centers" - is based on 115 interviews over a period of two years.

The ACLU calculates that every day there are an average of 3,000 undocumented immigrants being held in the detention centers in Arizona.

Some relatives who had U.S. citizenship adopted RÃ*vera before he was 15, but because of their lack of knowledge of the immigration system they did not request automatic citizenship for him, which placed his legal status at risk.

"What I remember most is missing my family so much and being locked up," said RÃ*vera, who is already a legal resident of the United States.

Victoria López, an ACLU lawyer and the author of the report, said on Tuesday at a community forum in Tucson that the undocumented immigrants in the centers are the victims of unnecessary and prolonged detentions.

"According to figures from (U.S.) Immigration and Customs Enforcement, an undocumented immigrant spends an average of 37 days in a detention center, but the truth is that in Arizona the period is approximately four months," she said.

The attorney said that she had worked on cases of undocumented immigrants who were detained for up to two years.

Detention conditions depend in large part on the private company that administers the center and the level of supervision on the part of ICE, López said.

She said that in the last six months the number of undocumented immigrants being detained in Arizona has increased by more than 50 percent.

"I think it's important to share my story because when I entered the detention center I didn't know they existed. I imagine that there are thousands of people who don't know what's happening, and by speaking about this it becomes more real. Especially, in a country where human rights are so strongly defended," RÃ*vera said.

Follow us on twitter.com/foxnewslatino
    Like us at facebook.com/foxnewslatino

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2 ... z1SAhNyH6m

boo hoo

Blame your parents for putting your life at risk, not me.

I have no sympathy.

Go back and fix your own country.

Here's a headline for you, "American Citizen Grieves Over Wife and Children Killed by Illegal Alien Multiply Deported Illegal Alien."

As people, we have the right to freedom, and to be in prison is very difficult for any human being, above all if you haven't committed any crime," the 27-year-old University of Arizona graduate said in an interview with Efe.
    Well apparently they don't teach criminal law at the University of Arizona, or otherwise Hector was sleeping in class. Entering the country without permission is a crime.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

These people crack me up. I thought I was a citizen and I don't have any documents to prove it. Get Real! They know they are not citizens. Aren't they loaded up with excuses. I was a kid, I was adopted, the immigration system is too complicated... Waaaaa, I'm a victim..... Waaaaaaaaaa.....

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    These people crack me up. I thought I was a citizen and I don't have any documents to prove it. Get Real! They know they are not citizens. Aren't they loaded up with excuses. I was a kid, I was adopted, the immigration system is too complicated... Waaaaa, I'm a victim..... Waaaaaaaaaa.....

Dixie
    I've carried state issued ID in my wallet every day of my life since my 16th birthday in 1971. I've produced said ID to officers of the law at least 50 times for various reasons, usually when being ticketed which happens even when on foot.

Banned
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDwyGwyglMg CRY BABIES!!!!!
    This is how i feel about them.Cant stand it get the hell out of the U.S.