Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Immigrants making no effort to assimilate into U.S. culture

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrants making no effort to assimilate into U.S. culture

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 - 4:57pm
    Submitted by Letters to the ..

In the news recently was the illegal immigration laws of Georgia being challenged in the courts.

Having lived in Texas for the past 20 years and in downtown Houston for the past 10 (and now in Fayette County), let me tell you about the affects of illegal immigration and why Georgians should all be following the law’s progress through the courts.

Pockets of immigrants in a city has always been a factor of immigration, acting as a transitional zone for the newcomers into American society.

In the past, this was not a problem. The immigrants had no choice but to learn English to function in American society. But these pockets in Houston have grown so numerous that entire areas are now strictly Spanish-speaking.

There is no longer an eagerness or willingness to learn English and transition into American society. And why should they, when all the radio and TV stations, newspapers, government services are in Spanish? In many areas, one cannot obtain a job without knowing Spanish.

Bilingualism is great for an individual but creates a Tower of Babel for neighbors, a neighborhood, city, county, state and a nation.

In the public schools in Houston that our son attended, the PTA meetings were held in Spanish first, then English. The parents could not talk to each other in order to form a community because more than half did not speak English. But yet the parents made no attempt to enroll in English classes.

I can see this happening to the Fayette County School system.

An entire shopping mall area, once called Sharps Town Mall, is now called PlazAmericas and all the outside signs and advertisements and stores are in Spanish. I can see this happening to the Pavilion in 20 years, being renamed La Pavilion.

And how did all this take off? A little known Executive Order past in August 2000 by Bill Clinton made it mandatory that any entity receiving government funds, including public schools, must offer bilingualism if a certain number of people speak a different language.

So goes the government, and so goes the businesses.

So what can the citizens of Fayette County do?

On a macro level, support the new immigration laws that Georgia passed. Since Obama has made it a point to sue states like Arizona, and go after Alabama and Georgia, and he has said make sure your children speak Spanish, vote this administration out.

Also, we must make sure the cities within Fayette County pass laws which make it mandatory that any company doing city business must use EVerify, make sure their workers are legal and do all business in English.

On a micro level, do not hire illegal immigrants to do your yard work, and refuse businesses who hire illegal immigrants.

If you hire a roofing company, make sure the company understands you do not want illegal immigrants doing the work.

Are you really saving that much money when you consider that your money is supporting illegal immigrants staying in Georgia and receiving tax-dollar, free schooling, medical and housing?

And all those menial jobs? Offer descent wages and Americans will do those jobs.

Right now, the Fayette County School system has a low number of illegal immigrants’ children. Granted, this is no fault of the children; that’s the parents choice and responsibility. But if continued, it will be all of the citizens of Fayette County’s responsibility.

Michael Coley

Fayetteville, Ga.

Immigrants making no effort to assimilate into U.S. culture | The Citizen
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    It is getting to the point where they are expecting US to learn spanish. I had a woman come into the motel I work at and started jabbering at me in spanish. I just stood there looking at her, cause I dont know what the hell she is saying. Finally, she said "You no speak spanish?" I replied NO! And I am pretty sure my face looked like my avatar when I said it. She shot me a dirty look and left. They just wont learn English. They Just Wont.

Good one pattyk! I picked up Spanish due to hearing it all day long, but let me tell you the ONLY time I use it is when I am coming to the defense of America or a friend. You should see their face when I read them the riot act...

"In the public schools in Houston that our son attended, the PTA meetings were held in Spanish first, then English."

When I used to work in Massachusettes, I had a supervisor that would hold important meetings in spanish first then english. I was so pissed because we only had two workers who didn't speak english. Most of the workers spoke spanish and english, some spoke another language and english. I went over her head and reported to the boss what she did. She never did it again! LOL I mean that is so arrogant and disrespectful. Nothing like saying latinos are more important than anyone else and to hell with our country.

"There is no longer an eagerness or willingness to learn English and transition into American society. And why should they, when all the radio and TV stations, newspapers, government services are in Spanish? In many areas, one cannot obtain a job without knowing Spanish."

Exactly and this is unacceptable! I have seen simple factory jobs that require you to speak spanish. When I asked one company why, they replied it was because most of their employees spoke it. I sent an e-mail and explained how concerned I was as it seemed that most of their employees must be illegal. LOL I never recieved a reply and hope I put some fear into them.

This has to stop! No citizen should be forced to speak a foreign language in their own country in order to get a job, unless you're dealing with people out of the country as part of the business.

I cannot for the life of me understand why the illegals wonder why they are not respected, when they come here expecting us to bend over backward to accomidate them. They come here and make our country into theirs, expect us to learn their language, demand their rights etc. Insane!

Quote Originally Posted by pattyk View Post
    It is getting to the point where they are expecting US to learn spanish. I had a woman come into the motel I work at and started jabbering at me in spanish. I just stood there looking at her, cause I dont know what the hell she is saying. Finally, she said "You no speak spanish?" I replied NO! And I am pretty sure my face looked like my avatar when I said it. She shot me a dirty look and left. They just wont learn English. They Just Wont.
    Exactley, and I HAVE NO INTENTION OF EVER LEARNING IT OR ANY OTHER LANGUAGE!
    Any and all comments & Opinions and postings by me are considered of my own opinion, and not of any ORG that I belong to! PERIOD!

I simply start LAUGHING in their pudgy lil' faces!

When my former co-workers would all talk in spanish, I would tell them they sound like a bunch of cackling hens. Even they laughed at that. LOL! I heard it most of the day for 8 years and though I picked up a lot of words, I never could converse in that language. I shouldn't have to anyway! They always told me I had to learn to spanish. I told them I did't leave my country, you left yours! I also told them that If I moved to another country, out of respect I would never expect them to speak my language, I would learn theirs. The hispanics didn't care, they would just continue with their blah, blah, blah.

Language issues piss me off a lot. I think learning a second language is great. But immigrating to a country illegally or legally not learning the language of that country is stupid. I have known several legal immigrants who learned English prior to coming here. Mestizo illegal aliens from Mexico don't care to learn English and the ones that do still primarily speak Spanish and they sometimes refuse to speak English.

I know a woman whose family immigrated from Argentina. They parents learned English as teenagers and years later when they decided to come to the States, they started the process of teaching their children. This family has lived in Texas for several years and they do speak Spanish at home at times, but in public they speak English and they refuse to speak to Spanish to anyone outside the family.

My 10 year old grandaughter came home the other day giggling. She said her substitute teacher asked the class if anyone spoke a foreign language. One little boy raised his hand and said I speak Mexican. The teacher corrected him and said you mean you speak Spanish. The little boy said yeh I speak Spanish too. She said the whole class started laughing and the teacher seemed mad.