Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrants Sue Over Citizenship Delays

http://www.wral.com/apnationalnews/9613023/detail.html

LOS ANGELES -- Ten Middle Eastern and Asian immigrants sued the government Tuesday, alleging officials let their U.S. citizenship applications linger indefinitely by delaying background checks.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, asks that a federal judge review the files and administer the oath of citizenship.

It also seeks class-action status to include all immigrants who have been waiting at least six months for naturalization after filing applications at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service in Los Angeles.

Since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Muslims and immigrants from the Middle East and Asia have often complained of unexplained delays in the processing of immigration applications. The Southern California lawsuit follows a handful of others across the country.

"Whether the delays are based on discrimination or incompetence, they have to end," said Hussam Ayloush, executive director of the Southern California chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which filed the lawsuit with the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California.

Sharon Rummery, spokeswoman for the Citizenship and Immigration Service, said only about 1 percent of citizenship applicants wait longer than six months.

"I have no idea why some take longer," said Rummery, who added her agency can't process an application until the FBI returns the background check.

Agent Richard Kolko said the FBI hadn't seen the legal action and couldn't comment.

Generally, legal permanent residents, or "green card" holders, can apply for citizenship if they have lived in the country a certain number of years, speak English fluently and pass a citizenship exam.

Federal law requires the government to approve or deny a citizenship application 120 days after an immigrant passes the exam.

It's taking a lot longer than that for Yousuf Bhaghani, 35, who immigrated from Pakistan 17 years ago. Bhaghani, one of the 10 immigrants in the lawsuit, said he passed the citizenship exam in 2002, and has been waiting for an answer ever since.

"In my heart, I'm already an American in every way," said Bhaghani. "Now I want to be able to fully participate as a citizen."

We need to pass laws that any non-citizen cannot sue anyone here!!!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

"In my heart, I'm already an American in every way," said Bhaghani. "Now I want to be able to fully participate as a citizen."
    Just because you "feel" like you are an American, doesn't make you one. It sounds like you are already "fully participating" as a citizen by filing a law suit.
    YOU ARE NOT A CITIZEN YET, THEREFORE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO SUE ANYONE!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Another I'm a victim playing the trump card. Please.....go back to your own country and sue there. Only in America.
    Work together for the benefit of all mankind

I keep asking myself when the insanity will end and then the next outrageous thing comes down the pike.

Suing a country over its immigration procedure is rediculous and should not be allowed.

This one is probably going to irritate everybody, but if we expect the government to enforce the laws - well . . .

Let's forget for one minute the country of origin of these people, to pull the emotion out of this. Let's assume they're Aussies.

Okay, now think about this for a second - you've waited your turn in line (for years), you've done all the paperwork, you've passed the citizenship exam,, etc., etc., etc.

You can't seem to get anywhere by following the rules, but the President of this country ignores your proper procedures AND WANTS TO GRANT AMNESTY TO 10-30 MILLION ILLEGALS, without any paperwork, waiting period, citizenship exams, etc.

I'd be ticked off too!!!

Federal law requires the government to approve or deny a citizenship application 120 days after an immigrant passes the exam.
    Why should we expect the federal government to follow the law on this issue when they don't follow it on any other one.

Having said that - I don't believe that it is legal or proper for them to bring a lawsuit against the government.

MW
    This problem is easily solved, give them their denial letter.

The lawsuit situation is beginning to get way out of hand, especially considering the amount of activist judges sitting on the bench. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the American people need to start filing their own lawsuits against the federal governments. Our laws, put in place by our elected leaders and founding fathers, are not being observed.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The lawsuit situation is beginning to get way out of hand, especially considering the amount of activist judges sitting on the bench. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the American people need to start filing their own lawsuits against the federal governments. Our laws, put in place by our elected leaders and founding fathers, are not being observed.
    That sounds like an absolutely wonderful idea. But, don't you know we're not a "minority"? That's the only thing that gets heard nowadays.

MW, that's a good idea. I wish it could be more practical. It would be hard to find a descent lawyer (contradiction in terms?) which would handle our types of cases. Most are greedy scum.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

To put this in perspective, this case does involve legal immigrants:

Okay, now think about this for a second - you've waited your turn in line (for years), you've done all the paperwork, you've passed the citizenship exam,, etc., etc., etc. You can't seem to get anywhere by following the rules,......
    As I am an American Citizen, married to a foreign national, whom I have brought to the US legally, I can certainly understand the frustration that legal immigrants have with an immigration system that looks the other way when illegals blatantly ignore the law while at the same time many that came here, or are trying to come legally, face delay after delay.

It's taking a lot longer than that for Yousuf Bhaghani, 35, who immigrated from Pakistan 17 years ago. Bhaghani, one of the 10 immigrants in the lawsuit, said he passed the citizenship exam in 2002, and has been waiting for an answer ever since.
    If USCIS or the FBI has evidence that this individual would be a risk, then they should issue a denial, and in fact deport him. If he went through the vetting process to come here legally, has resided here for 17 years, and has had a Citizenship application pending for nearly 4 years, there should be ample record of his character to make a timely decision.

Immigrating legally is a time consuming and expensive process. Quite frankly, I think legal immigrants, while not eligible for all of the rights of American Citizens, should at least have more rights than illegal aliens who are suing the US government, local and state governments, and American citizens left and right. If the government fails to comply with its own laws and regulations, harming persons who are following the rules, perhaps lawsuits are appropriate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast