Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

An Immigration Course Online

Hello Everybody,

While I am learning more about illegal immigration and its problems everyday by visiting this site, amongst others, and educating myself, I was curious if someone could instruct me (and others) about the different ways that you can be here legally (tourist visa, school visa, refugee status, etc) and the ins and outs of each category, and how long you can stay for each category -- if you have permission to work under each category, and the theoretical consequences for violating the provisions of each category (for example, not being able to legally enter the USA for 10 years if overstaying a visa, or paying a fine, or whatever.)

I really think that for all of us, this would be a great educational foundation in immigration law. For one thing, we'd all be on the same page, having the same core knowledge so that we actually know what we're talking about. The area of illegal immigration that draws the least attention is those people who intentionally overstay their visas, and it's like 40% of all illegals in the USA in this category. I'd like to know about the different ways to be legal and illegal in this country.

Does this make sense? I guess I'm either looking for someone to 'teach' an online-type immigration course, or direct me and others to a place where they can learn this stuff, and ask questions. There's bound to be a teacher out there, somewhere.

Thanks for listening,

Joe

The laws governing this stuff are really complicated, there is no way you can put it on two pages or something like that.

There are sites that cover much of it, but they are like 100 pages of stuff.

Joe,

Excellent point you make. For comprehensive information about all the immigration categories, and requirements, the best sources I can thnk of would be:

Try this link to the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) website FAQ page.

uscis.gov/graphics/faqs

You might also try the US State Department website, they have additional requirements and procedures for issuing visas if the prospective immigrant or temporary non-immigrant is initiating their immigration from their country of origin.

I think some of the immigration law firms have websites that give a more concise explanation of immigration procedures also.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/faqs.htm

Now I hope I have this URL pasted in here properly this time