Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration genie can't be put back in bottle

Now here's a bonifide New Jersey libidiot, IA hugger. Maybe Bruce "open borders" Springsteen will make a song about him. I'm sure Gov. Corazine is proud!!!:

Immigration genie can't be put back in bottle
    • December 7, 2007
    Read Comments(2)Recommend

It's time to look at our undocumented immigrant problem rationally instead of hysterically. Depending on who is counting, it is estimated there are 10 to 20 million undocumented immigrants in the United States. How did so many get here?

Not only did our elected representatives turn a blind eye to the problem and let immigrants enter our country illegally, but we as citizens liked the idea of these immigrants filling the menial wage jobs that many of us wouldn't do in restaurants, motels, dry cleaners, car washes, landscaping and agriculture. They were plumber's helpers, hauled construction debris and worked as gas station and convenience store attendants and household servants before we realized how many were here. Then, suddenly, we got hysterical and said they were ruining our country.

Rounding up all the undocumented immigrants and sending them home would cost billions of dollars and cause a huge disruption in our economy. Therefore, let's let them stay but register them, fingerprint them, photograph them and possibly take their DNA. I want a national database of immigrants that can be accessed by any government agency � city, state or federal. The advantages of registering the undocumented are huge.

Crime perpetrated by immigrants would be easier to solve with a national database including immigrants' fingerprints, pictures and DNA.

It will take the onus off our businesses to check if people are legal before hiring them. It is not business' job to police our immigration problem.

It will help them assimilate. They will no longer have to hide from Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Keep in mind, children of undocumented immigrants born in the United States are citizens.

We are restricting these young citizens from more readily assimilating because they must keep a low profile and remain in hiding with their parents. It is the second generation that learns English and moves up and out of the familiar enclave, where their immigrant parents congregate with their countrymen as a safety net. We must make it easy for the citizen children of undocumented immigrants to join in the American dream of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

I have heard it said illegal immigrants are destroying our ethnic and cultural mix. That's pure hysteria. The highest estimate of 20 million undocumented immigrants would make them only 7 percent of our population. Are we really going to get "Mexicanized" by 7 percent of the population?

Every year throughout the country, there are Irish festivals, Jewish festivals, Polish festivals, Greek festivals, Octoberfests and many ethnic parades. I have at one time or another seen or been to all of these, and I have not yet felt the desire to leave the United States for any other country or to change my ethnicity. I just enjoy them. They are part of the entire culture of my country.

Once registered, these formerly undocumented immigrants will be able to move freely around the country. They will become upwardly mobile in the work force, join unions, get on payrolls and pay income taxes, and complain to city housing authorities about substandard living conditions and landlords who take advantage of them because they are undocumented.

Also, once documented, immigrants will be able to legally register a car, for which they have to prove they have insurance and also, heaven forbid, a driver's license, to operate.

What I would not allow those who entered the country illegally to do is to become citizens or to vote. They will be guests in our country until they pass away or return to their country of origin. But they will be afforded every other civil right available to citizens.

Naturally, along with registering the undocumented we must seal our borders to avoid this situation happening all over again. Every state has numerous National Guard units. As a former National Guard member and knowing what kind of training I received, I truly believe they shouldn't be in Iraq. The National Guard should be used for exactly what its name implies: guarding the nation. Every unit spends two weeks training each year. I would stagger those training periods so a large number of National Guard units would be guarding our borders at all times.

Many of you would call this plan amnesty. I call it common sense. Think logically, not emotionally, about the undocumented immigrant problem. It is a reality these people are here. Let's find out who they are by making it easy and free for them to become documented. Give them a time period to report in and get their documentation. After the grace period, any illegal immigrant caught in the country would be immediately deported. The advantages of documenting our undocumented far outweigh the disadvantages of the current situation.

Richard Brawer
    OCEAN TOWNSHIP

COMMENTS:

cmoore wrote:
    Mr. Brawer,
    You're such a kidder! Ah, I only wish we could be as funny as you. My friends are going to love your joke! Oh God, I can't stop laughing!
    12/7/2007 9:06 AM EST on Asbury Park Press
    Recommend Report Abuse

NJCynic wrote:
    I hope Mr. Brawer is learning to speak Spanish. If he gets his wish, he'll need it.

Just how does he propose to register, fingerprint, photograph, and collect DNA from all these people? Why not ALSO just load them into buses when the documenting is done & drive them back over the border!?! If we are going to go through all of what Mr. Brawer suggests, we would have a database of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS who can be ARRESTED if and/or when they attempt to RE-ENTER the country ILLEGALLY!! There is plenty of space in our southwestern deserts to build compounds for these "detainees". THERE they can be given the choice of returning to their homeland(s) and applying for citizenship LEGALLY or remaining incarcerated for BREAKING THE LAW!!!
    12/7/2007 7:44 AM EST on Asbury Park Press

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 30/OPINION
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, brainless, but some of it is true - it would never have gotten a foothold without our government's complicity - and without people liking the idea of having them work for less.

An employer has always been responsible for making sure the employees have proper ID - this is nothing new. No one is asking them to handcuff them and call INS - just don't hire them.

Do these babies hold dual citizenship? It was stated in the story of the little boy sent to Mexico to his grandmother that he held dual citizenship because of his father. If that is true, then Mexico is as much responsible for them as the US is. So we need to begin to make that point.

It is a big problem - it isn't 'complex' - it isn't 'complicated'.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes they did let it go and the American people had know idea how bad this was until they marched in our streets(bad stratigic move on their part) and woke the average America up.

Don't blame Americans, blame the people who we are giving billions to and not doing their job, they new exactly what was going on.

excuse me you are "Stupid indiot"
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

oh?

Crime perpetrated by immigrants would be easier to solve with a national database including immigrants' fingerprints, pictures and DNA.

I have a better solution. It would be way easier to solve IF IT DIDN'T HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE, IF THEY WEREN'T HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. IF THEY WERE COMMITTING THESE CRIMES IN THEIR OWN THIRD WORLD HELL-HOLE COUNTRIES.

I came to the US legally almost nine years ago. I have followed the letter of the immigration law to the letter and I am still waiting for my green card.

How on earth does this person think there is the infrastructure to process millions of new applicants when the USCIS is horrendously backlogged with the legal entrants.

Some family based applicants are waiting over twenty years for their approvals and this person talks about processing 12 million people, it could take a century or more with the current speed of things.

All of the comprehensive suggestions had the same flaw. They come up with ideas and forget that it needs people and money to implement them, they never put the 'how we will fulfill this' in the legislation.

I don't want them to 'assimilate'. I want them to get the hell out of my country.

The ONLY way for an ILLEGAL to become LEGAL in OUR country is for him to RETURN to his OWN country and apply from THERE for LEGAL entry into OUR country! As long as ANY foreigner is in OUR country ILLEGALLY, he simply CANNOT become a CITIZEN, PERIOD!

Even if they do return home, I don't think they should ever be given citizenship - if they have come here illegally. It shows a complete disrespect for our country and it's people.