Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration letter from Geoff Davis - R - KY, 4th

Dear Mr. Magyart:

Thank you for contacting me about issues related to immigration and your frustrations surrounding the tragic circumstances surrounding the rape of the young girl. I understand your frustrations and I appreciate the opportunity to share my perspective on this important issue.

I remain strongly opposed to the "comprehensive" immigration reform legislation passed by the Senate in 2006, because it included provisions granting amnesty. This legislation would have allowed most illegal immigrants to stay, work and ultimately earn U.S. citizenship. With all due respect to the Senate, we send the wrong message by granting amnesty to illegal immigrants. Any immigration reforms must focus first and foremost on security and strengthening our borders. During the 110th Congress, I will continue to oppose any immigration bill that includes amnesty.

While strongly opposing the Senate's action, I was proud to support the House's major legislation in 2005 that would have secured our borders and controlled illegal immigration without amnesty. This was the Border Protection, Antiterrorism and Illegal Immigration Control Act (H.R. 4437). This bill passed the House by a vote of 239 - 182 on December 16, 2005. This legislation would have required the Department of Homeland Security to conduct a comprehensive risk assessment of all ports of entry and enhance surveillance along the U.S. - Mexican border while re-establishing respect for immigration laws.

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 (H.R. 6061) authorizes a 700-mile barrier along vulnerable areas of our border with Mexico. This bill passed the House by a vote of 283-138 on September 14, 2006. It passed the Senate on September 29, 2006 by a vote of 80-19 and was signed into law on October 26, 2006.

I was proud the 109th Congress approved the conference report for the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act for FY2007. President George W. Bush signed this important legislation on October 4, 2006. The bill provides $21.3 billion for border protection and the enforcement of our immigration laws. Highlights include funds to: add 1,500 new border patrol agents; construct additional border fencing; increase, to seventy-five, the number of fugitive teams; add 6,700 new detention beds; transport and remove illegal aliens; and improve immigration verification systems.

As a member of the Immigration Reform Caucus, I was a strong supporter of Congressman Virgil Goode's amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act for FY2007. His amendment, which passed the House of Representatives, authorizes the Secretary of Defense to assign members of the armed forces to assist in border protection. Deploying the National Guard is an affirmative step to secure our southwest border. However, this is not a long-term solution. More must be done.

During the 110th Congress, I will seek opportunities to support legislation that:

· denies birthright citizenship to children born to illegal immigrants on U.S. soil;
    continues funding for construction of a fence along vulnerable portions of our Southern border;
    forces the Department of Homeland Security to fully implement the computerized entry-exit system, which allows us to track who's crossing our borders;
    prohibits eligibility for public benefits to illegal immigrants, including welfare and Social Security; and makes English our national language.

Our desire to offer the American dream to legal immigrants seeking a better life must not outweigh the need to secure our borders against terrorists, drug smugglers and human traffickers.

Thanks again for contacting me about an issue of great concern to both of us. Please feel free to call me about this or any other matter. You can sign-up to receive the Fourth District E-Mail Newsletter at my website by visiting http://geoffdavis.house.gov/EmailSignup.aspx.

Sincerely,

Geoff Davis

Member of Congress

GD/

Davis is a good man. His record supports what he's said here.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)