June 22, 2013

The Immigration Reform Circus

Steve McCann

As an immigrant to the United States, I am often asked what I think of the need to do something about the broken immigration policy of the United States and the presumed overriding necessity to legitimize those that are illegally in the country. Apparently, to many it is assumed and implied that I would be sympathetic to the plight of the millions who either deliberately overstayed their visas or crossed the border under the cover of darkness.

My first reaction is to say that it is not the national immigration policy that is broken, but the will to enforce the laws on the books coupled with this nation's absurd infatuation with political correctness and racial politics that is the problem. As far as I am concerned, anyone who deliberately and knowing broke the law to enter the country can never be put on a path to citizenship and the best they could expect, as this is an exceedingly compassionate nation, is to be granted work permits upon a thorough background check
. This permit would be subject to renewal every five years or so. Further, chain migration cannot be permitted, and the children of illegal aliens cannot be granted citizenship by mere fact of birth here, as they were born to those who were in the nation illegally. Instead they can be placed in line among those applying for citizenship that came into the country legally.

As for the comprehensive immigration bills being discussed in Congress, there is only one question that needs to be answered regarding any proposal: will the border be fully and provably secured and will provisions be in place and operational which would allow interdiction and serve as a deterrence against further illegal immigration before any consideration is given as to the status of those in the country illegally? If the answer is no, then the politicians are not serious in immigration reform. Thus the Senate bill is an exercise in deceit and deception as legalization comes first and border control is a mere promise to happen someday.

The underlying purpose of any nation's immigration policy should be founded on the principle that immigration must be beneficial to the overall well-being of the country -- and not for those immigrating or for certain special interests within the nation. This basic tenet is not being considered in all the conversations regarding immigration. Until it is, all discussion of so-called immigration reform should be tabled until after the presidential election of 2016 and then be a part of the campaign discussion.

Surprisingly, the reactions among the vast majority of those who have asked my opinion and once hearing it -- are in agreement. It is the American Political Establishment (APE) that is not, as they and too many dishonest business people stand to benefit from unleashing untold millions into an already suffering and demoralized labor force, as well as eventual unfettered access to the social safety net in place for American citizens. I would venture that I am not alone in my outlook, as a vast majority of other immigrants and naturalized citizens are increasingly amazed at the folly that is immigration policy in the United States and the three ring circus underway on Capitol Hill.

Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...loaded_it.html