Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

In Increments, Senate Revisits Immigration Bill

WASHINGTON, Aug. 2 —In Increments, Senate Revisits Immigration Bill
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/03/washi ... &th&emc=th

When a broad immigration bill failed in the Senate in June after a vitriolic national debate, many legislators said the issue was dead, perhaps until President Bush left office. But already some of the less contentious pieces of the bill are returning to life.

Brendan Smialowski for The New York Times
    Representative Lincoln Diaz-Balart, right, listened this week in Washington to friends of Juan Gomez, who asked that he not be deported.
    Last week, the Senate approved $3 billion for border security as part of a Homeland Security Department spending bill. Democrats and Republicans have also begun laying ground for a bill to create a new temporary immigrant worker program for agriculture.

Another bill, also with bipartisan support, would give a path to citizenship to high school graduates who are illegal immigrants if they complete two years of college or military service. Senator Richard J. Durbin, Democrat of Illinois and a sponsor of the bill, attached it as an amendment to the military authorization legislation that the Senate last month put off until September. Mr. Durbin said he would seek to move it again then.

The agriculture and student measures “have a decent chance of passing this Congress because they have strong champions, broad bipartisan support and they have been around for a long time,â€

Banned
    [quote]“It’s unfair to make these young people pay for the sins of their parents,â€

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    [quote="GREGAGREATAMERICAN"][quote]“It’s unfair to make these young people pay for the sins of their parents,â€
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

Notice that the Times frames the "Dream Act" anecdotally around another predictable illegal alien sob story. According to this article, this act would legalize nearly 1 million illegal alien students, or student children of illegal aliens.

The OBL has been peddling this act for awhile, and I just hope the House does the sensible, moral thing and says NO. Funds, resources, and Congressional energy should be spent helping US middle class kids achieve their college dreams, not children of foreigners who broke our laws. These families should return to their home countries and pressure their govt to reform and help them!

Memo to Congress: ENFORCE THE LAW. I DON'T GET TO PICK AND CHOOSE WHICH LAWS I OBEY, AND THEN WHINE AND CONTACT THE MEDIA IF I DON'T LIKE THE ANSWER I RECEIVE.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    Notice that the Times frames the "Dream Act" anecdotally around another predictable illegal alien sob story. According to this article, this act would legalize nearly 1 million illegal alien students, or student children of illegal aliens.

The OBL has been peddling this act for awhile, and I just hope the House does the sensible, moral thing and says NO. Funds, resources, and Congressional energy should be spent helping US middle class kids achieve their college dreams, not children of foreigners who broke our laws. These families should return to their home countries and pressure their govt to reform and help them!

Memo to Congress: ENFORCE THE LAW. I DON'T GET TO PICK AND CHOOSE WHICH LAWS I OBEY, AND THEN WHINE AND CONTACT THE MEDIA IF I DON'T LIKE THE ANSWER I RECEIVE.
    Ain't that the cold hard bloody truth!!!
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul