Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Inside Woodland Learn How White Americans stole lands

http://insidewoodland.com/laraza.cfm

History is an amazing thing. In grade school we learned a collection of facts that we called history. I always accepted this as being 'real' history without ever thinking about any other perspective.

But once you step out of the bounds of the history we've always been taught, you learn that history is a collection of stories told from the perspective of the culture teaching them. Opening your eyes to a different perspective gives you a fascinating insight into different aspects of our society.

Woodland Community College offers a Mexican American History (La Raza Studies) class. This class was taught by Ciereno Rodriguez, who I felt was an excellent instructor who really believes in what he is teaching. Senor Rodriguez has a great approach to his subject- he is able to tell us how modern Mexican-American culture relates to the Aztecs, how our society is affected by what happened 800 years ago. He also tells interesting stories about his childhood in a little ranchito in Mexico, and tells us how the history affected his life in a different country.

Senor Rodriguez really made a lot of this class seem important because he provided a bridge to the subject. He grew up picking tomatoes in the Central Valley, his family was deported by the US government, he took part in the Chicano movement. This instructor really made the class interesting and something I looked forward to each time. When you are being taught by someone who really cares about what they are teaching, you can learn a lot more.

Interesting things we learned about:

Aztec religion and history
    Spanish Colonial Period*
    Mexican Revolution(s)
    Mexican/American War
    Early California History (1848+)
    Chicano Movement

*Okay- I admit that the Spanish Colonial Period was not very interesting. But it was an important background for some of the things we learned later on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Student Impressions
    What is your name? Anthony Garcia

How many college credits do you have? This is my first semester, but I am taking 13 units.

What do you think about this class? I like the class, good information. I like learning about this because I am Mexican. I have learned about other history, finally I am learning about my own.

What are your goals? I want to get my associates degree, then transfer to a 4-year school. Maybe become a probation officer. Then I want to get my own house, wife, family, kids- the whole thing.

What was the most interesting part of the class? Learning how white Americans stole land from Mexicans in California.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I heard on the radio the other day, that HS in L.A. were using spanish-only history books and they portrayed America as the enemy.

I wonder where this is all headed, humm no I don't.

He who controls the past, controls the future.
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

Quote Originally Posted by rakishoner
    I heard on the radio the other day, that HS in L.A. were using spanish-only history books and they portrayed America as the enemy.

I wonder where this is all headed, humm no I don't.

He who controls the past, controls the future.
    Do you have anymore info? I have heard on various local radio stations that several Islamic religious schools in the NY area have textbooks that have people like Bin Laden, Hamas, Islamic JIhad, etc as good guys and us as the baddies. And talking about how evil the US and Israel is, etc.

Why are we letting those savages that still live in the 1100's into our country?

And, I'm ASSUMING this college is in the US??? This is UNCONSCIONABLE. WHY is that kind of propaganda being taught in AMERICAN SCHOOLS? WHERE is the accountability? There MUST be a way to control this hate-mongering against the country that is providing these INGRATES a HOME.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

I have tried to do a search on it and can not seem to find a word on it. I heard it on the Peter Boyles show here in Denver 630 AM Khow.
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

That's SO frustrating! Sometimes I feel like I've DREAMED something that I'm SURE I HEARD!!! Keep searching OR just listen out and someone else will report it eventually.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton