Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar

Interesting document, dated 1999

This judiciary document I found about illegal immigration, I did not copy all of it, it was quite long. This was date 1999, before 9/11. It is so hard to believe that here they sat with the power to make some changes, long before this problem had become so big, but they did nothing.

http://commdocs.house.gov/committees/ju ... 494_0f.htm

62–494

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION ISSUES

HEARING

BEFORE THE

SUBCOMMITTEE ON
    IMMIGRATION AND CLAIMS

OF THE
    COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY
    HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

ONE HUNDRED SIXTH CONGRESS

FIRST SESSION

JUNE 10, 1999

Serial No. 8

Page 2 PREV PAGE TOP OF DOC
    Printed for the use of the Committee on the Judiciary

For sale by the U.S. Government Printing Office
    Superintendent of Documents, Congressional Sales Office, Washington, DC 20402

COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY
    HENRY J. HYDE, Illinois, Chairman
    F. JAMES SENSENBRENNER, Jr., Wisconsin
    BILL McCOLLUM, Florida
    GEORGE W. GEKAS, Pennsylvania
    HOWARD COBLE, North Carolina
    LAMAR S. SMITH, Texas
    ELTON GALLEGLY, California
    CHARLES T. CANADY, Florida
    BOB GOODLATTE, Virginia
    ED BRYANT, Tennessee
    STEVE CHABOT, Ohio
    BOB BARR, Georgia
    WILLIAM L. JENKINS, Tennessee
    ASA HUTCHINSON, Arkansas
    EDWARD A. PEASE, Indiana
    CHRIS CANNON, Utah
    JAMES E. ROGAN, California
    LINDSEY O. GRAHAM, South Carolina
    MARY BONO, California

Page 3 PREV PAGE TOP OF DOC
    SPENCER BACHUS, Alabama
    JOE SCARBOROUGH, Florida

JOHN CONYERS, Jr., Michigan
    BARNEY FRANK, Massachusetts
    HOWARD L. BERMAN, California
    RICK BOUCHER, Virginia
    JERROLD NADLER, New York
    ROBERT C. SCOTT, Virginia
    MELVIN L. WATT, North Carolina
    ZOE LOFGREN, California
    SHEILA JACKSON LEE, Texas
    MAXINE WATERS, California
    MARTIN T. MEEHAN, Massachusetts
    WILLIAM D. DELAHUNT, Massachusetts
    ROBERT WEXLER, Florida
    STEVEN R. ROTHMAN, New Jersey
    TAMMY BALDWIN, Wisconsin
    ANTHONY D. WEINER, New York

THOMAS E. MOONEY, SR., General Counsel-Chief of Staff
    JULIAN EPSTEIN, Minority Chief Counsel and Staff Director

Subcommittee on Immigration and Claims
    LAMAR S. SMITH, Texas, Chairman

Page 4 PREV PAGE TOP OF DOC
    BILL McCOLLUM, Florida
    ELTON GALLEGLY, California
    EDWARD A. PEASE, Indiana
    CHRIS CANNON, Utah
    CHARLES T. CANADY, Florida
    BOB GOODLATTE, Virginia
    JOE SCARBOROUGH, Florida

SHEILA JACKSON LEE, Texas
    HOWARD L. BERMAN, California
    ZOE LOFGREN, California
    BARNEY FRANK, Massachusetts
    MARTIN T. MEEHAN, Massachusetts

GEORGE FISHMAN, Chief Counsel
    JIM WILON, Counsel
    LAURA BAXTER, Counsel
    CINDY BLACKSTON, Professional Staff
    LEON BUCK, Minority Counsel

C O N T E N T S

HEARING DATE
    June 10, 1999
    OPENING STATEMENT

Page 5 PREV PAGE TOP OF DOC

Smith, Hon. Lamar, a Representative in Congress from the State of Texas, and chairman, Subcommittee on Immigration and Claims

WITNESSES

Anderson, Terry, Auto Mechanic, Los Angeles, CA

Armstrong, Tobin, Rancher, Kingsville, TX

Foster, Ezola, Retired School Teacher, Los Angeles, CA, Americans for Family Values

Joyal, Carol, San Jose, CA

Morfin, Angie, Salinas, CA, Mothers Taking Action Against Gang Violence

Morris, Dan, Rogers, AK, Americans for an Immigration Moratorium

Vance, Larry, Rancher, Douglas, AZ, chairman, Cochise County Concerned Citizens

Walsh, Selena, Director of Policy and Communications, League of United Latin American Citizens

Page 6 PREV PAGE TOP OF DOC
    LETTERS, STATEMENTS, ETC., SUBMITTED FOR THE HEARING

Anderson, Terry, Auto Mechanic, Los Angeles, CA: Prepared statement

Armstrong, Tobin, Rancher, Kingsville, TX: Prepared statement

Barnett, Roger, Sierra Vista, AZ: Prepared statement

Foster, Ezola, Retired School Teacher, Los Angeles, CA, Americans For Family Values: Prepared statement

Jackson Lee, Sheila, a Representative in Congress from the State of Texas: Prepared statement

Joyal, Carol, San Jose, CA: Prepared statement

Morfin, Angie, Salinas, CA, Mothers Taking Action Against Gang Violence: Prepared statement

Morris, Dan, Rogers, AK, Americans for an Immigration Moratorium: Prepared statement

Smith, Hon. Lamar, a Representative in Congress from the State of Texas, and chairman, Subcommittee on Immigration and Claims: Prepared statement

Page 7 PREV PAGE TOP OF DOC
    Vance, Larry, Rancher, Douglas, AZ, chairman, Cochise County Concerned Citizens: Prepared statement

Walsh, Selena, Director of Policy and Communications, League of United Latin American Citizens: Prepared statement

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION ISSUES

THURSDAY, JUNE 10, 1999

House of Representatives,
    Subcommittee on Immigration and Claims
    Committee on the Judiciary,
    Washington, DC.

The subcommittee met, pursuant to call, at 1:10 p.m., in Room 2141, Rayburn House Office Building, Hon. Lamar Smith [chairman of the subcommittee] Presiding.

Present: Representatives Lamar Smith, Edward A. Pease, and Sheila Jackson Lee.

Staff Present: George Fishman, Chief Counsel; Jim Wilon, Counsel; Judy Knott, Staff Assistant; and Leon Buck, Minority Counsel.

OPENING STATEMENT OF CHAIRMAN SMITH

Page 8 PREV PAGE TOP OF DOC

Mr. SMITH. The Subcommittee on Immigration and Claims will come to order. First of all, I would like to recognize and acknowledge the presence of so many people who are here today. We appreciate your interest in such an important subject. This is a different type of hearing than the kind of hearing we have had before.

In this situation we have real people who have confronted personally some of the consequences of the illegal immigration that we see in our country, as opposed to having a panel of government witnesses or individuals who have never encountered some of the situations we are going to hear about.

The procedure today is that I will recognize myself and the ranking member for opening statements. Then we will go to our first panel of witnesses. We have a total of two panels, and we expect to be finished before three o'clock. I will recognize myself for my opening statement first.

The Clinton administration has halted the buildup of the border patrol that Congress mandated in 1996. Actions have consequences. Today we are going to learn the consequences of having too few Border Patrol agents to protect Americans.

People familiar with congressional hearings know that the first witnesses are usually high ranking government officials from here in Washington, D.C. Today, however, we are privileged to have witnesses who can speak from their own personal experiences about illegal immigration. Today we hear from the American people directly affected by the lack of immigration law enforcement.

Page 9 PREV PAGE TOP OF DOC

Some of our witnesses can tell us about the crime that accompanies, illegal immigration, not because they have done academic studies, but because they have watched and suffered as members of their families and communities were victimized by violence and drug trafficking. They can tell us about the burdens placed on public education by illegal immigration because their children bear those burdens.

Some of our witnesses come from parts of our southwest border that have become lawless and violent and dangerous places because the administration refuses to reinforce the Border Patrol. These people live under circumstances that the rest of us can only imagine, with their property invaded and destroyed and their families afraid to go out of the house.

Other witnesses can tell us how good job opportunities in their communities have disappeared as unscrupulous employers hire illegal employees at substandard wages and working conditions. In many communities the quality of life has declined tremendously because of illegal immigration, as drugs and gangs appear in small towns that never had them before.

County budgets are overwhelmed by demands on law enforcement, education, and social services. Jobs disappear. Many long-term residents are forced to move away from the communities where they grew up. Those who appeal to the federal government for immigration law enforcement receive little or no help. Those who protest this rampant and destructive lawlessness have had their motives questioned.

This problem is not restricted to border States like Texas, California, and Arizona. From New York to Nebraska, from Florida to Washington State, American communities are feeling the effects of unprecedented illegal immigration. Conservative estimates indicate that there are at least 6 million illegal aliens residing permanently in the United States, and the number is increasing every single year.

Page 10 PREV PAGE TOP OF DOC

Meanwhile, the interior enforcement strategy recently unveiled by the Immigration and Naturalization Service effectively gives up on removing illegal aliens from the United States. Except for a small fraction of convicted criminal aliens, illegal aliens have little or no fear that they will ever be deported.

It is widely known that once they get past the border illegal aliens are almost never removed from the United States. This, in turn, of course, encourages ever-greater waves of illegal immigration. Obviously, this situation cannot continue. Either the President will exercise leadership to stem the tide and remove the illegal aliens from the United States, or the present crisis will worsen with grave consequences.

Our witnesses today can shed light on the serious and growing negative impacts of illegal immigration. Their stories and the stories of millions of Americans like them deserve a response.

That concludes my opening statement. I will now recognize the ranking member, my colleague from Texas, Ms. Sheila Jackson Lee.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Very interesting indeed.
    Congress could have passed legislation mandating more secure Green Cards and Social Security cards years ago. Or, the INS could have devised such cards on their own.
    "We have a sacred, noble obligation in this country to defend the rule
    of law. Without rule of law, without democracy, without rule of law being
    applied without fear or favor, there is no freedom."

Senator Chuck Schumer 6/11/2007
    <s

MW
    AmericanElizabeth wrote:

That concludes my opening statement. I will now recognize the ranking member, my colleague from Texas, Ms. Sheila Jackson Lee.
    I wish you would have copied the article a little further. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) is one of the biggest proponents of open borders and illegal immigration in the U.S. House of Representatives today. I'd sure liked to have listened to her comments in 1999.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW, just follow the link it will brong you to the whole article. It was really long and would have taken a ton of space here. You could probably print it out to read at your leisure too. Yeah, I knew her name looked familiar, it was late and I am wiped out from Christmas.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

1999 (Things only have gotten a lot worse)

PREPARED STATEMENT OF TERRY ANDERSON, AUTO MECHANIC, LOS ANGELES, CA

Thank you, Mr. Chairman, and Members of the Immigration & Claims subcommittee.

Let me begin by saying that I have not been a political person in the past. I am not now nor have never been a member of any group or organization. However, when I see what is happening to my country, community and my race I know that it is time for me to get involved. I am a black American who has lived on the same street in South Central Los Angeles for 45 years. When I first moved there it was mostly white. And though there were a few (very few) people who did not like us because of our race we were generally treated with respect and dignity. We went to the same schools as the white kids and no special arrangements were made for us. The white folks would give us jobs and we all spoke the same language. We were ALL AMERICANS. We had a common culture, the American culture. Over the years the community changed gradually from white to black but basically (aside from race) remained the same.

About 10 to 15 years ago things began to change, drastically. We started to see an influx of people from south of the border. Mexico, Central America, South America and others. As these people got here our community began to change, for the worse.

When you here in Washington hear about illegal immigration you will only hear about ''the poor immigrant who comes here for a better life'' or the poor, poor immigrant child who ''must'' have an education. You hear about how ''hard working'' they are and about their great work ethic. You hear the lie about how the don't use public services and how they ONLY take the jobs that NOBODY else wants. You hear from all of the liberal organizations who advocate for the illegal aliens. You also hear from the racist organizations like maldef, lulac, mecha and la raza. They will tell you all the reason why the illegal alien is good for America.

What the don't tell you about is the 17 year old kid on my street that can't get a McDonalds job because he can't speak spanish. They don't tell you about the 8 year old boy on my street who like thousands of other black kids is thrown into a bilingual class room and listens to translations all day long. His six hour school day is turned into three hours. When his mother asks for a English only class room she is told ''there are none''. They won't tell you about the $100,000 house in my neighborhood that sold for $137,000 because the real estate company put five families of ''newly arrived Hispanic'' who spoke no English on the deed. Now when a black family wants to buy a house, they too have to find four other families to share the ridiculous cost. They won't tell you how skilled black workers in Los Angeles can no longer apply their trade. Body and fender, roofers, framers, drywallers, gardeners, and now even truck drivers. They won't dare tell you about all of the race riots in our schools where the blacks are told to take their black asses back to Africa. Even the news media has refused to tell of this while we know that they are aware or it. There is NEVER a mention of all of the billboards in spanish and how Chevron is now advertising in spanish on English language TV.

The illegals won't hire us and won't buy from us. But still our elected black officials won't help us. I met once a few years ago with my Congressman, Julian Dixon. He said he would check into it. He has done nothing. What he HAS done is vote against every bill that would help my and his race of people. He now refuses to meet with me.

We, black Americans are being displaced in Los Angeles. We are being systematically and economicly replaced. And the next time somebody tells you that the illegals only takes jobs that blacks won't do, just remember that WE were doing those jobs before the illegal got here AND in places of the country where there is not yet a problem with illegals, you can STILL get your grass cut, your dinner served, your dishes bussed and your hotel room cleaned. Funny how in those places Americans are doing those jobs. We would still be doing them in Los Angeles if itwas not for the fact that the illegal will work for $3.00 an hour. Breaking the law by working for less than minimum wage means nothing to somebody who broke the law to get here. And to those who would ask ''How do you know they are illegal'' I would say, there is NO WAY that this many people could come here this fast in these vast numbers under our current immigration system.

I could go on for a week. I would just ask you to help us. Enforce the laws we have. Guard OUR border like we guard the borders of the world. Find these people and deport them. Pass H.R. 73. Remember those of us at the bottom who have no power.

Statement of Ms Jackson Lee: (Chief defender of illegal aliens)

What this means is that the question of illegal immigrants is spread throughout the world, people of all different backgrounds, but what it also means to me is that I would ask and hope that as we hear the testimony of our respective individuals, as they focus on their own personal causes and concerns, let us not forget that this Nation is a Nation of immigrants. There is not one of us here who can claim to have come here or been here for a long, long time unless you want to claim a Native Indian background.

It is interesting to note the head shaking of those who are here, but I am here to speak against hatred and bashing and the outcry in a situation where the country is enormously prosperous. We are enormously prosperous. We have no crisis in immigration, and to the African American community who is most baited by this kind of attitude, I can assure you that these issues of illegal immigration are ones that are very much on our agenda.

We want to work against illegal immigration. We want to work against those felons who may be in our communities and may be doing a disservice or wrong or violence. We know your stories are compelling, but I would simply say that as you cite particular and unique instances, be very cautious of a broad brush about immigration because all of us have come from somewhere.
    Now, Mr. Chairman, I would simply say to you that I hope we will have an opportunity to consider my border patrol bill which would increase the salaries of border patrol agents so that we can increase the number of those that we would be recruiting.

I hope that we will be able to look at H.R. 1458, the Family Reunification Act of 1999. I hope that we will look at the Legal Amnesty Restoration Act that has in limbo 350,000 taxpaying individuals who pay the taxes for many of the people who sit here today; and I hope that we will look at H.R. 1007, the Honduran Refugee Fairness Act, and I hope that there will be an opportunity to look at the Mother Theresa Religious Workers Act of 1999, H.R. 1871, and as well the Battered Immigrant Women Protection Act of 1999.

I will simply say that I look forward to listening to the testimony of these individual Americans. I will look forward to hearing them as long as I can possibly stay and my duties on the Floor do not carry me there; but as I do so, I will listen with a keen ear to make sure that what you are suggesting is forthright, is without bashing, and understanding that we all are created equal.

AmericanElizabeth,
    I passed this link on the a firm that may help coordinate a lawsuit against the US Government.
    There is a topic on the issue posted by xanau.

This transcript could be used as recorded evidence that Congress knew the consequences of illegal immigration yet ignored it.
    ------------------------

Great, go for it mkfarnam. I will see what else I can find out there. I seem to have a knack for going into different web browsers and finding these kids of documents.

AmericanElizabeth,
    Please do, you can also post them on the main (Discussion)"NOTICE: Intent to file Class Action DHS for wrongful deaths"You have been credited for the post.
    There is an email adddress on the article if you would like to send them yourself.

All articles that are "fact based" and have the possibility of standing up in federal court against illegals or/and the US Government will be sent.
    who ever posts the article on this site will be credited.
    ------------------------

I have been looking. Seems the articles are few, at least having been posted on the internet.

I am intrigued now, that the same discussions were had time and again, but nothing was ever done about it, just piece meal stuff.

Now this time Americans have gotten fed up and have become galvanized, so now they are sweating, as they know they have really screwed up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast