Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Iowa House OKS requiring photo ID to vote

Iowa House OKS requiring photo ID to vote

By JAMES Q. LYNCH, Globe Des Moines Bureau North Iowa Media Group | Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:30 pm

DES MOINES - Despite Democratic objections that it was a "solution in search of a problem," the Iowa House approved requiring Iowans to show a photo ID to vote.

"This is a bill created to create a problem," Rep. Beth Wessel-Kroeschell, D-Ames, said before the House voted 60-40 to send the measure to the Senate.

Floor manager Rep. Renee Schulte, R-Cedar Rapids, called the bill necessary to protect the integrity of elections and to make voting more uniform across the state. Now, election official may ask for a photo ID. HF 95 would remove that subjectivity by requiring everyone to show their ID.

Democrats said House File 95, which is modeled after Indiana's law that has been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, should be called a voter suppression act.

"Voting is a right. It is not a privilege. It is a right," said Rep. Mary Gaskill, D-Ottumwa, a former county commissioner of elections. "If a person goes into vote, does not have a photo ID and cannot devote the time and expense to acquiring one, their right to vote has been denied."

Rights come with responsibility, said Rep. Gary Worthan, R-Storm Lake.

"If you're not willing to accept that responsibility, maybe put in a little effort on your part to get a photo ID, study the issues, register, that doesn't say a whole lot about you interest in your government and what's going on around you," Worthan said.

Still, Gaskill said, HF 95 is based in the false premise that it will stop voter fraud.

"But where is the fraud?" Gaskill asked. More than 1.13 million Iowans voted in the 2008 presidential election "and there were zero cases of voter fraud. Zero."

That doesn't mean there's no fraud, Schulte said.

"It means we have a problem with the system," she said, and referred to irregularities in her district when she won her first election by 13 votes. "This system will make it easier to prove intent" to commit voter fraud.

She also referred to a recent report found seven counties in Iowa have more registered voters than people of voting age.

"That‘s a problem," Schulte said.

Gaskill called the bill Republicans' attempt to discourage Iowans from voting.

According to House Democrats, 11 percent of Americans - a higher percentage of minorities, low-income and older people - do not have a government-issued photo IDs.

Schulte countered with research showing that no voter disenfranchisement has been proven in Indiana and Georgia, which also has a photo ID requirement. Researchers called those concerns "much ado about nothing," Schulte said.

Schulte added that voter turnout was higher in Indiana and Georgia than in their neighboring states. Researchers attributed that to higher voter confidence, she said.

Secretary of State Matt Schultz, who insists his defeat of Democratic incumbent Michael Mauro in November was based his support for the photo ID requirement, welcomed the House action.

"These changes are pro-active and address the fact that there is always a possibility for fraud," Schultz said. "This bill increases public confidence in the voting process at the polls. These changes assure Iowans that their vote counts and that the final count is true and honest."

http://www.globegazette.com/news/local/ ... 03286.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Good grief! Don't they proofread these articles for grammatical error before putting them out anymore? Geez!

Anyway, I hope the bill becomes law.

We are working on voter ID here in NC as well. I think we will be successful in working with our new state legislature on items such as this.

King Street Patriots have led the charge here in Texas also.

I have no problem showing my id to vote
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou