Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Iraq, immigration threaten McCain bid

We have to keep speaking loud and clear and let those in the Senate and house know how we feel. I think McCain is finally getting the message. We do not want illegal immigration.

Iraq, immigration threaten McCain bid
    By LIZ SIDOTI
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

Republican presidential hopeful Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., answers a reporter's question during a stop at a hotel in Newark, N.J., Thursday, March 22, 2007. McCain attended a fundraiser for his presidential campaign. (AP Photo/Mike Derer)

WASHINGTON -- Immigration and Iraq present opposite threats to John McCain's presidential candidacy. The former could undercut his bid for the Republican nomination; the latter, his chances for winning the White House."Mistakes were made" in Iraq, the Arizona senator told Iowans one recent afternoon. "But the fact is, we are where we are." He argues that President Bush's troop-level increase must be given a chance to succeed because failure will result in terrorism on U.S. soil.
    Minutes later, he pivots to immigration.

"We need to secure our borders. That is our first priority," McCain says as he calls for a temporary-worker program and a way to deal with illegal immigrants already in the U.S. "We can't deport 12 million people overnight."

He still is not talking about cracking down of business that hire illegals. And we have not been talking about deporting 12 million overnight. Enforce laws that make it illegal to hire illegals and they will leave because they will not be able to work and they will not come.

The senator is keenly aware he may be risking the presidency with his position, but says: "I would rather lose a campaign than lose a war."
    Immigration presents a different problem for McCain.
    The GOP is fiercely divided on the issue.
    Hard-line conservatives demand tougher border security and shun all other proposals.Other Republicans argue for "comprehensive reform." This approach would pair more secure borders with a temporary-worker program while providing an eventual path to citizenship for some of the country's 12 million illegal immigrants.
    McCain takes the latter view.
    He has been among those senators leading an effort to get broad legislation passed.
    Polls show that two of three people in the U.S. back comprehensive legislation. Roughly the same percentage of Republicans do, too.
    Nevertheless, McCain's stance could hinder his chances of winning the GOP nomination because the path starts in Iowa where passions flare over immigration."McCain will not win in Iowa because of immigration. He's a liberal on it," said Larry Smith, a state GOP committeeman from Truro, Iowa, who is not aligned with a candidate.
    McCain, obviously, disputes that characterization. "I think overall, most Americans realize we have to have a practical approach," he told reporters.
    Yet, at every campaign stop in the state, people in the GOP-leaning audiences expressed their frustration - and sometimes outright anger - about what they call a lack of federal action to stop illegal immigration."I want to know, on behalf of other veterans, why we are not protecting our border at all? It is a joke," Jeff Heiden, an Iraq veteran from Marshalltown, Iowa, told McCain at a question-and-answer session at an Ames hotel.
    McCain reiterated his position. "I was not satisfied," Heiden told reporters afterward.
    Hours later, a man in Mason City told McCain: "For people just coming across, they should not expect to receive the benefits of this country without first having to go through the law and procedures to be a U.S. citizen."
    The next day in Cedar Falls, another man added: "You're from Arizona, and I don't think that I ever really heard you getting real serious about doing something about the immigration problem."
    Just before leaving Iowa, McCain expressed surprise at the intensity of the issue. "Immigration is probably a more powerful issue here than in almost any place I've been," he said at a news conference.
    Then McCain, who has favored allowing some illegal immigrants to become citizens without leaving the U.S., indicated that to get legislation passed, he was willing to look more closely at a proposal that would require them to return to their native country before applying for citizenship.The proposal by GOP Rep. Mike Pence, a conservative from Indiana, is not one McCain has been open to in the past. But it is one that could help him score points with the conservatives he needs to become the Republican nominee.

John McCain is finally "getting it". But it's too late now. Even so, we don't want a candidate "pretending" to be against illegal immigration. We want a candidate that IS AGAINST ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION!
    Maybe others running will hear what the American people have been saying all along. No amnesty period.
    SAY NO TO "STRIVE"!

Just before leaving Iowa, McCain expressed surprise at the intensity of the issue. "Immigration is probably a more powerful issue here than in almost any place I've been," he said at a news conference.
    He obviously doesn't get out of Washington much. You'd have to be living under a boulder to make a statement such as this. People from California to the gulf stream waters are sick and tired of the invaders and their racist groups/agendas.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Do you really think HE'S GETTING IT?

I know that he's not gotten squat.
    "We need to secure our borders. That is our first priority," McCain says as he calls for a temporary-worker program and a way to deal with illegal immigrants already in the U.S. "We can't deport 12 million people overnight."
    Read between the lines.......same old crap from the same old TRAITOR.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    Do you really think HE'S GETTING IT
    ?
    Of course not. But he is hearing us and it is a little too late.

[quote:2v46m5d0]"We need to secure our borders. That is our first priority," McCain says as he calls for a temporary-worker program and a way to deal with illegal immigrants already in the U.S. "We can't deport 12 million people overnight."
    Read between the lines.......same old crap from the same old TRAITOR.[/quote:2v46m5d0]

Polls show that two of three people in the U.S. back comprehensive legislation.
    Two of three people in the U.S. back comprehensive legislation? Where did they take this poll, at a La Raza Convention?
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    Do you really think HE'S GETTING IT?

Read between the lines.......same old crap from the same old TRAITOR.
    Exactly, he is still a traitor. But it is significant that he is trying to appear tough on immigration. Tancredo's strategy seems to be working. Watch everyone scrambling to look tough on the issue. The immigration issue will simply not go away, no matter how much McCain wishes it would. At least we know the candidates will try to out-hawk each other on the issue--that's good news because it WILL be adressed damnit. My only hope is that the electorate is not fooled by these fake attempts to win votes. I hope people see this traitor as well as Giuliani and other Johny-come-lately's as exactly that, and plant Tom Tancredo squarely in the Oval Office.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Quote Originally Posted by reptile09
    Two of three people in the U.S. back comprehensive legislation? Where did they take this poll, at a La Raza Convention?
    Its all in the language of the poll question. Put that little amnesty word in there and that # would drop to about 1 in 3

The main thing people like about "comprehensive" is the building the fence part.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Banned
    This is just a joke. Every Democrat and Republican, conservative and liberal who I know, when they understand what is going on, are vehemently against any type of amnesty a.k.a. "comprehensive immigration reform."

In fact, recently, on a community e-bulletin board, someone brought up illegal immigration, and the discussion spontaneously turned into a feeding frenzy against illegal immigration with much discusion of the damaging effects, how our schools have declined, reports of people who have been in traffic collisions with illegal aliens. All in all, people are very, very angry. Also, in a separate local political e-mail list (having nothing to do with immigration), people have been posting a lot of similar comments about illegal immigration. This is very much on peoples minds, irrespective of political persuasion. People are just plain mad, and getting madder every day.

Quote Originally Posted by reptile09
    ROTF - good one, REPTILE

YUP!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)