Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

It's called a "National Referendum"

Unfortunately, due to our Federal Government not wanting American citizens to have any say in what legislation our Federal Government enacts, we do not currently have that tool available to us as a nation.

By the way, we are one of only four "Major Industrialized Nations" worldwide to NOT have this valuable tool at our disposal.

Rice

I think this can develop into an interesting discussion.

To start it off: When was the last time a national referendum was inacted?
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

We need to have this available. Our senators and representative at one time worked for and listened to the people that elected now. Now they are out to make money from their positions instead of considering it a public service, they support who every gives the most money. Big business and special interest groups not the people.

Quote Originally Posted by BearFlagRepublic
    I think this can develop into an interesting discussion.

To start it off: When was the last time a national referendum was inacted?
    Bear,
    To answer you question in short, it has never happened in the U.S. on a national level. It simply does not exist as a Federal Law and is not a legal tool available for U.S. citizens to use.

The following is just a short peice that I copied and pasted from, "Coalition for a National Referendum" located at http://www.iandrinstitute.org/National%20I&R.htm:

On the State Level

In the United States, 23 states have provisions for referendum and initiative on the statewide level. In 49 states, amendments to the state constitutions must be approved in a referendum.

On the National Level

National Referendums have taken place in many countries, including Canada, England, Ireland, Italy, France, Denmark, and South Africa. Many countries have solved "unsolvable" problems by holding National Referendums. In South Africa, a national referendum led to the end of apartheid. In Ireland, national referendums have brought peace and stability.

Here is a link to a website that explains the background of the "National Initiative Process" and why a National Referendum may become necessary in the U.S. in the future. The article is too long to paste into this post. Sorry.

http://www.iandrinstitute.org/National%20I&R.htm

Here is another link to a website that promotes a: "Petition for Amnesty and Border Security" that you and others might find interesting. Again, it's too long to paste into this post. Sorry.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Referendum/

I hope this helps everyone here to see that this may just be the answer to getting around Congress ignoring the will of the American People!

Rice

Quote Originally Posted by Beckyal
    We need to have this available. Our senators and representative at one time worked for and listened to the people that elected now. Now they are out to make money from their positions instead of considering it a public service, they support who every gives the most money. Big business and special interest groups not the people.

Amen.

Rice

Quote Originally Posted by Beckyal
    Just was discussing this very matter with my father today. Our consensus was one of total disillusionment. Short of a revival across this land, our country's future looks as bright as Rome's before the Ides of March.

Quote Originally Posted by rwrice
    Bear,
    To answer you question in short, it has never happened in the U.S. on a national level. It simply does not exist as a Federal Law and is not a legal tool available for U.S. citizens to use.

Rice
    Ah, I thought you were correcting me in the other thread when you discussed it. But I guess it turns out I was right and we do not have them--you were just explaining what it is.

So, I guess the constitution does not say anything about this either way. Which means we can have a national referendum in theory. What would it take? Congress voting to allow us to vote on it? Fat chance of that.

BTW, in the other thread you mentioned that we are 1 of only 4 industrialized nations that do not have it. Who are the other three?

See you at the signing!!

Quote Originally Posted by litus
    Just was discussing this very matter with my father today. Our consensus was one of total disillusionment. Short of a revival across this land, our country's future looks as bright as Rome's before the Ides of March.
    What is happening to our nation is exactly what happened to Rome--to the T. All of Western Civilization as well.

See you at the signing!!

What is happening to our nation is exactly what happened to Rome--to the T. All of Western Civilization as well.
    We are witnessing this country's rapid disintegration. I don't believe there will be an America ten years from now if it continues. The spiritual backbone of this country was long ago gutted. That is what started the dominoe effect; next came education, which exists now only for a subversive end; then came political duplicity. Over the past 10 years or so, the removal of our economic infrastructure to foreign lands or entities.

These are the things which act as glue to any country. What else is there? All those things give a country its values, language, and culture. All those precious things about our country have been all but eviscerated. There is only a remnant left of this country's greatness, of what made it strong.

Exactly! Which is why we need to fight tooth-and-nail against it, or we will be returned to a state of tyranny and despotism by the forces of the OBL!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast