Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Job Application at a Famous Restaurant

I applied for part time work at a famous, family-oriented steakhouse type restaurant today, after getting off of work from my regular job. I have alot of free time this year, so I'm looking for a part time job about 15 to 20 hours. I applied (on purpose) for a dishwasher position, but the manager told me that all of those jobs were taken the first day (probably by "guess who.") So, I then told him "busboy," and I did an application, and have to come back tomorrow for part two of the process. There are 4 or 5 slots, so I should have some chance of getting it.

I live in an upwardly-mobile area, more or less, with alot of Americans of all races, but also a large number of illegals. I was disappointed that about 70% of the people applying for jobs while I was there were non-Americans, mostly from South of the Border, and the rest were Americans or people from India/Middle East, etc. I was disappointed that more Americans, particularly young people, weren't there. Part of it is that I think that when people in my area think of restaurant work, the image of a Salvadorean person probably comes into their mind. Whereas when I lived and grew up near Baltimore, and even today up there, Americans are more likely to apply for restaurant work there.

I could come back tomorrow and see alot more Americans, of course, but this just reinforces my point that, at least in certain areas of the country, we need to communicate to our young people and to people in general that there is dignity in hotel, construction, restaurant work, etc, and it's not automatically the domain of the illegal alien. This is a project that I'd like to pursue on my own, but I don't know how to go about it. But, it is something that we as Americans will have to eventually address, especially if you live in an area like mine (Alexandria, VA) with a high percentage of illegals.

Ostrich

Hi theOstrich, many recent conversations with people are involving the lack of involvement of our young people in the fight against illegal immigration. The Open Borders crowd has plenty of young people, babies, and children being USED to draw sympathy to the issue. They are also many of the most demanding, in your face individuals marching in the streets, using foul language and ugly gestures and carrying offensive signs and foreign flags.

We should start telling our young people to care today, or cry tomorrow. There is dignity in work, even unskilled work with a good attitude and appreciation for a job.

The DREAM ACT will directly impact many slots for young Americans seeking to attend college. Millions of illegals will directly impact the number of jobs available while in school. The life they so freely take for granted today will be directly impacted in every aspect of their lives very soon, if we do not all take a stand.

Psalm 91
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm not so sure that young people don't find dignity in the work of busboy, dishwasher, etc. I honestly believe that they simply don't bother to apply because they have come to know that, 99% of the time, illegals who apply will be picked for the job.

Why I say this is because of what I've seen over the past few months in my neighborhood.

We have two fast food places up the block who eliminated their illegal workforce. Those jobs were immediately filled by teenagers, seniors, and others. We've also noticed alot of teens working on landscape crews and in the malls this summer when just a year ago, "what appeared to be" illegals made up the majority of workers.

So, I believe that the motivation is there, but the hope department might be a little lacking. We need to restore that hope and it will all turn itself around.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Remember when those jobs were a teens first job?
    Just your ordinary, average, everyday, American mom!

So, I believe that the motivation is there, but the hope department might be a little lacking. We need to restore that hope and it will all turn itself around.

I HAVE ALSO HEARD FROM SOME KIDS THAT THEY HAVE FOUND THAT THE HIRING MANAGERS FOR MANY OF THE JOBS IN THE SERVICE CATEGORY ARE FOREIGN AND THEY DISCRIMINATE AGAINST ANYONE NOT "LIKE THEM"

AZWreath, do you actually live in Arizona, and if not, where do you live? Do you know what prompted the 2 fast food restaurants to get rid of their illegals, and why more Americans are doing landscaping and working at the malls now? Did ICE do raids in your area, or do you think there's another reason?

Anyway, if you've seen those kinds of changes, I think that I might move to your neighborhood.

Yes, I believe that many people do realize that illegals will get these jobs, and thus don't apply. Why work with a bunch of people where half of them can barely speak English.

Ostrich

Carls JR

Had one of my teenagers inquire about a job at a Carl JR's. restaraunt. He was told by the Manager working that Spanish fluentcy is required to work at Carls JR. Bear in mind this restaraunt is located in a still overall english speaking American area, although the workers appear to be Mexicans. I meant to call their corporate HQ's and complain but honestly forgot about it until now and dropped the ball.
    "American"Â*with no hyphen andÂ*proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by GoDawgs
    Remember when those jobs were a teens first job?
    I can remember working on a horse ranch when I was younger during summer break for fifty cents an hour.

ICECHARGER, it's never too late to call their Corporate HQ. Go for it. Or both call and write them. What's there to lose?

We need to get our kids back into these restaurants!

Ostrich

Quote Originally Posted by TheOstrich
    AZWreath, do you actually live in Arizona, and if not, where do you live? Do you know what prompted the 2 fast food restaurants to get rid of their illegals, and why more Americans are doing landscaping and working at the malls now? Did ICE do raids in your area, or do you think there's another reason?

Anyway, if you've seen those kinds of changes, I think that I might move to your neighborhood.

Yes, I believe that many people do realize that illegals will get these jobs, and thus don't apply. Why work with a bunch of people where half of them can barely speak English.

Ostrich

Yes Ostrich, I actually do live in AZ. I live in the far East Valley area which is about 45 minutes east of Phoenix and used to be a clean, quiet, and safe combination of burbs/rural but it's changed drastically since we moved here 8 years ago.

You know, I'm not really sure what has prompted the change but I'm willing to bet the raids do have something to do with it. It just seems that once they started and really got rolling, employers suddenly weren't so willing to look the other way when it came to work eligibility. In the case of one of the restaurants, the new day shift manager said that "Corporate got tired of the crap and got involved big time". And I know that on the property I manage, there have been quite a few tenants losing their jobs in construction, plumbing, masonry,fencing, pool installation, and auto repair because the SS #s they provided didn't belong to them. These were not new hires either, these guys had been employed for 2 or more years. Not a single one of them has been able to find work elsewhere because they don't have documents. And, it's really taken them by surprise, they truly never thought this would happen.

Except for the IFCO raid out here, I haven't heard of others. Right now, in our area, the focus is on the smuggling and they've busted numerous (I've lost count) drop houses. But, last week they made a huge dent when they raided a home that wasn't a drop house, but was a key operational base for a smuggling operation.

I do think the raids have put a lot of employers on notice and they aren't wanting to take any chances but I say whatever works............

Good luck with your job hunting, I'm sure you'll find something. And, you can call me just plain "wreath"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast