John Dingell, longest serving member of Congress, announces retirement

9:56 AM 02/24/2014

Alexis Levinson
Political Reporter

The longest serving member of Congress will step down at the end of this year.
Michigan Democratic Rep. John Dingell has held office since 1955. Dingell is set to announce his retirement at a Monday luncheon in Dearborn, according to the Detroit News.

He says his decision was largely a result of the increased partisanship in Congress — a factor mentioned by a number of other members who have announced their retirement this year.

“I find serving in the House to be obnoxious,” he said. “It’s become very hard because of the acrimony and bitterness, both in Congress and in the streets.”
“This is not the Congress I know and love. It’s hard for me to accept, but it’s time to cash it in,” he added.

A former chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, Dingell was a big player on environmental issues, and also an advocate for the auto industry. He was also the lead sponsor of the Affordable Care Act when it passed the House in 2009 and he has been championing a universal health-care law since he took office 60 years ago.

Dingell would be 88 at the start of next term, and he told the Detroit News that while his health was “good enough that I could have done it again,” he did not want to pass away in office, and said: “I’m not certain I would have been able to serve out the two-year term.”

“I’m not going to be carried out feet first,” he said. “I don’t want people to say I stayed too long.”

Dingell was a champion of the auto industry, but also an advocate for the environment, writing the clean air and water bills and helping obtain thousands of acres for parks and preserves. He cites those as his greatest accomplishments, along with civil rights, food and drug safety, immigration reform and finally, the Affordable Care Act. He views the health-care reform law as a tribute to his father, whose primary cause was universal health care.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/24/jo...es-retirement/

G