Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

JORGE BUSH TALKS IMMIGRATION WITH FELIPE CALDERON

JORGE BUSH TALKS IMMIGRATION WITH FELIPE CALDERON

Bush talks immigration with Mexico's president-elect

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2006

WASHINGTON (AFP) - President George W. Bush met with Mexican president-elect Felipe Calderon for White House talks that included the contentious immigration issue between the neighboring countries.

Calderon told reporters after the meeting he had expressed concern over a controversial bill that Bush signed into law last month authorizing construction of a huge fence along a third of the US-Mexico border.

"I explained to him our concern and our opinion that it was the wrong measure that would not resolve the problem" of illegal immigration, said Calderon, who takes office on December 1.

Bush said Mexico was a "priority" of his administration, and was committed to sweeping immigration reform to legalize most of the estimated 11.5 million undocument foreigners in the United States while stemming the flow of illegal immigration.

"I assured the president-elect that the words I said in the very Oval Office that we sit (in) about a comprehensive immigration vision are words I still believe strongly," said Bush, who has called on Congress to pass a bill that would establish a guest-worker program for foreigners.

Bush's reform plan failed amid opposition from hardline members of his Republican Party who wanted tougher measures against undocument immigrants.

But the Republican Party will lose its majority in both chambers of Congress in January after Democrats swept Tuesday's midterm elections, raising hopes that Bush's plan could finally pass.

Democrats said they would push immigration reform.

"Democrats look forward to working with Republicans to achieve real border security through bipartisan, tough, fair, and practical immigration reform," said Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, who will become the next majority leader.

Calderon called for stronger bilateral trade ties.

"The only solution to the migration issue, fundamentally, is to create well-paying jobs in Mexico and for that we need to encourage investment in our country," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061109...n_061109221743

((("I explained to him our concern and our opinion that it was the wrong measure that would not resolve the problem" of illegal immigration, said Calderon, who takes office on December 1.))))

Then why is he freaking out about the fence? Is it because it will make an enormous impact on illegal's trying to cross the border?

69% of the Hispanics voted Democrat and they all have voiced disgust with Bush and the Republicans, yet he wants to somehow reward all these people who have no use for him and eventually franchise the Democrats with millions of new voters. It makes no sense whatsoever!

They vote Dem because the Dem's are pro social programs! More freebies!!!
    "What will you do without freedom"