Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Just saw this on the news in Indiana

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp...av=menu188_2_5

Man sentenced to 52 years in fatal DUI

Aug 25, 2006 04:42 PM EST

Steve Jefferson/Eyewitness News CrimeBeat

Indianapolis - A man who took two lives because he was drunk behind the wheel learned his punishment Friday. Rosalio Pedraza will spend over 50 years in prison for killing two people who were leaving a wedding reception.

"I don't think he understands what he's done," said Emily Kelly, who survived the crash that claimed the lives of two wedding party members. The man behind the wheel who caused the accident was 31-year-old Rosalio Pedraza, now a three-time convicted drunk driver.

"I just wish he had learned his lesson the first time he got into trouble and we would not be here today if he had," said Kelly.

The crash happened on August 14, 2005. Kelly rode in a Mercedes SUV leaving a wedding reception at the Indianapolis Zoo. According to witnesses, Pedraza ran the red light on West Washington Street at the Zoo exit. He smashed into the SUV, killing Thomas Youngstafel, the groom's father, and Joseph Gehler. Witnesses told police Pedraza drove well above the speed limit.

Family and friends left a cross outside the Zoo on Washington. Originally Pedraza told investigators that prior to the accident he only had four beers. "He had way more than four beers. It wasn't until the very end that he finally confessed up that he had 15 and cocaine in his system," said Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi.

Judge Tonya Pratt ordered Pedraza to serve 52 years. Outside the courtroom family members from both victims comforted one another with hugs. They stress no amount of punishment will ease their pain from losing their loved ones.

"I feel nothing was ever going to be good enough but I am happy with the 52 years," Kelly said.

Pedraza's brother took the stand admitting his brother had a serious drinking problem - one which he will now have a long time to think about behind bars.

Pedraza completed court-ordered addiction counseling twice for his two previous DUI convictions. He is also in trouble for being in the United States as an illegal immigrant.
    "We are not for any type or form of "AMNESTY"..We are a equal oppurtunity deporter. We will not discriminate against you due to your race/age/religion .. "

Gee, I guess the third time is a charm Now because of this illegal drunk driver, the taxpayers have to foot the bill

The problem is two good people are dead and he was not sent back the first time and in jail the second ...
    "One Flag ... One Language ... ONE COUNTRY"....... Teddy Roosevelt

He is also in trouble for being in the United States as an illegal immigrant.
    Well, yeah, there's always that, of course.

Anybody checked on his brother? No, I didn't think so.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.