Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Kasich: Delegates should search their consciences before voting in Cleveland

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Kasich: Delegates should search their consciences before voting in Cleveland

Kasich: Delegates should search their consciences before voting in Cleveland

Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) said convention delegates must “weigh their responsibilities against their consciences and then make a decision” about whether to support Donald Trump. (Kyle Grillot for The Washington Post)
    By Dan Balz July 5

Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R), who has declined to endorse Donald Trump for president, said Tuesday that the delegates to the party’s national convention should search their own consciences and decide whether to support the presumptive nominee when they meet in Cleveland in two weeks.

Kasich, like other rivals of Trump, pledged to support the party’s nominee while he was a candidate for the Republican nomination. But he has not lived up to that commitment and shows no sign of doing so. Asked whether delegates to the convention, including those bound to Trump or others by the results of primaries and caucuses, should honor those rules if Kasich is not living up to his pledge, he said it is up to them to decide.

“They have to weigh their responsibilities against their consciences and then make a decision about what they want to do,” he said.

Though some delegates have been looking for ways to challenge the results of the nominating process, Kasich was quick to say he was not trying to lead a convention revolt. “I will not and do not want to be a disruptive force,” he said.

“Donald Trump won. It’s his party and his convention.”

[GOP delegate fight to stop Trump heats up in federal court]
    About his statement that the delegates should examine their consciences before casting their convention votes, he said, “I don’t see that designed to create any sort of disruption. That is not where I am. I’m a happy man.”

Kasich is one of a number of prominent holdouts ahead of the convention, but his position is magnified by his role as host governor for the Cleveland gathering. He said he plans to be in Cleveland during convention week but has no plans for participation in the convention itself.

Asked directly if he is likely to back Trump before the convention, he said, “Probably not.

Unless I see a Saul-to-Paul transformation on the road to Damascus, I don’t see it happening. . . . I may still support him, but I’m going to have to see changes.”
    The governor is at odds with Trump on issues ranging from immigration to trade to entitlement reform to the country’s national security posture.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...aily202&wpmm=1

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This man represents what the voters were rejecting. He will never endorse Trump unless his wife and daughters allow him to.

He is sickening! Search your conscience for what? It's Trump or Hillary - is he having a hard time deciding?
    Last edited by artist; 07-06-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Kasich is just a sore loser!

To me, this is a lot of empty posturing. The religious right has deeply embedded themselves in politics, and the plan simply did not work. I would urge them to be involved in grassroots efforts to accomplish what they want......but at the top level we need some practical solutions. Not just jumping on a bandwagon. Even back in the days of Reagan there was a lot of tension between the goals of religious fundamentalists ( I'm not knocking their principles) and the practical side of electing a leader. Reagan was not really sure they would approve of him.

If the religious right was going to call the shots, they wouldn't let Mitt Romney (Mormon) make the statements he makes either.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Lindsay Graham and Cupcake Kasich...both sore losers pouting on the playground because they LOST! Same goes for Mitt. Shows their true colors what cry babies they are. Playing with fire...and would rather let Hillary win than put their EGO aside. I have no respect for any of them that are trying to stop Trump. Sissy's!

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The anti Trump group and Kasich look more like weasels every day. Do they really think that anyone would vote for a person that "weaseled" their way into the nomination?