Kill Obamacare Before It Kills You!

September 25, 2013 by John Myers

UPI FILE

“Give me liberty, or give me death!” When Patrick Henry proclaimed that to the Virginia Convention, he could not have imagined that it would resonate so loudly 238 years later.

Last Friday, Republicans in the House of Representatives felt those words, believed in those words and acted on those words. They defunded Obamacare.
By a vote of 230-189, the House passed a budget measure that will cease all funding for Obamacare. The Republican majority had the courage to say that Obamacare — that socialized-bastard brand of medicine — must cease. It simply must, because it is killing the economy and soon it could be killing you.
The sad news is that the Democratic-led Senate will save President Barack Obama’s Frankenstein regardless of the evil it will create. It is the centerpiece of Obama’s legacy, and many Democrats in Congress hitched their wagon to him and to Obamacare four years ago.

Primum Non Nocere, ‘First, Do No Harm’

Yes, my friends, it is politics as usual for the Democrats who always feel for the poor but never feel poor. These Democrats visit exclusive health clinics, have the home cellphone numbers of their personal physicians and visit plastic surgeons as often as they see their dry cleaners.

Since I am on the subject of House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, I must mention she was rampaging against House Republicans last week.
POLITICO reported:
Striking a tone of disgust, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi ridicules the GOP as obsessed with its loathing of President Obama and hell-bent on hurting him politically, regardless the cost. She assigns little to no blame to the president (even though Democrats privately say that’s laughable) and instead portrays him as saintly, above reproach and the victim of jealousy or something worse.

After 26 years in the House, she says, “I haven’t seen anything like it. I haven’t seen anything like it.”

“You know why it is,” she said. “You know why it is. He’s brilliant, … he thinks in a strategic way in how to get something done … and he’s completely eloquent. That’s a package that they don’t like.”

Don’t Be Messing With Obama

Not true, Ms. Pelosi. (Also, you might see your doctor soon, because you repeat yourself.) What the majority of Americans don’t like is the dreadful leadership displayed by your President. And they especially don’t like Obamacare, a program that is already doing great harm to an ill economy.

The President also offered his own eloquent comments after Friday’s defeat.

They were hardly the prose of Winston Churchill or Abraham Lincoln. To a crowd at a Ford plant in Kansas City, the President said this about the House of Representatives: “They’re focused on politics; they’re focused on trying to mess with me.”

Could it instead be, Mr. President, that the opposition wants to “mess” with your program and not with you? Why must it always be about you, sir, your ego and your place in history? Can you not consider what is happening to America because of your horrific leadership? Or do you believe that anyone who asks that is just wants to mess with you, the way fans mess with NBA superstar LeBron James?

Because even this writer can see there is something to mess with. Investor’s Business Daily reported that at least 301 businesses have laid off thousands of employees and are slashing workers’ hours to avoid government fines and penalties because of the healthcare mandate. It has become just as critics said it would happen under the Affordable Care Act, which mandates employers provide health insurance. It is forcing thousands of businesses to slash jobs.

It is also true that Obama said that the Affordable Care Act would lower healthcare costs. Not so, said a report from Medicare’s Office of the Actuary. Their projection is that U.S. healthcare spending will jump by 6.1 percent next year. That is 2 percent more expensive than the increase predicted by the Obama Administration.

No wonder Americans are growing dead set against Obamacare. Just last week, a poll from USA Today and the Pew Research Center found that 53 percent of people disapprove of Obamacare and Obama’s entire approach to healthcare. Both polls are at record highs.

Living And Dying With Socialized Medicine

A lifetime of experience tells me that even fewer Americans are going to like Obamacare after it has been imposed on them. I can sum it up by explaining what happened to me last week and how I feared I might not be able to write you today.

Twice in my life, I’ve had severe chest pains. Both times, I was swimming.
The first time I was at the Spokane Club doing high intensity training (H.I.T) with the master’s swim team. It amounted to wind sprints up and down the pool to make us faster. I retired my swim cap after one Friday afternoon in 1997 when my heart rate soared uncontrollably. My wife picked me up from the pool and took me to Rockwood Clinic. In minutes, I had a cardiologist hooking me up to an EKG machine and a nurse giving me an aspirin and testing my blood to see if I was having a heart attack. I got the results while I was there and was told nothing to worry about. I was suffering tachycardia, which is when the heart beats dangerously fast.

These past few months I’ve taken up swimming again. I work out with my daughter and her boyfriend at a Calgary public pool. After weeks of base training, I had forgotten about what happened all those years ago in Spokane or that I am now 16 years older and 40 pounds heavier then I was then.

I had three of us do H.I.T. training. We finished up by racing the last 50 meters. When we stopped, my daughter gave me a worried look and tried to take my pulse. She could not get it. After I changed, I went outside to the parking lot and began to vomit violently. I couldn’t catch my breath, so my wife rushed me to the emergency room at the Rockyview General Hospital. Even as I gasped for air, the triage nurse would not look at me. When my wife, who had once worked at that hospital, complained, she was told that the emergency room was “very busy.”

I didn’t want to die on some cot in a hallway. And that kind of thing happens too often in Canada. In Winnipeg, Manitoba, a man named Brian Sinclair died during his 34-hour wait to see a doctor at an emergency health clinic. The medical examiner said that he had been dead for a couple hours before the clinic staff even noticed him.

Because of such stories and my own personal experiences with socialized medicine I begged my wife to take me home. Once she measured my pulse at a reasonable 110 beats per minute, she did take me home. I continued to improve throughout the night. The next morning, we lined up for two hours at a nearby doctor’s clinic. I was one of the 60 or 70 patients the doctor would see that day. The good news is that the doctor said my heart seems to be “OK,” whatever that means. And he gave me an appointment to go see a cardiologist — in February.

I choose to live in Canada because of my career and my family. As for my health, I have become rather fatalistic. My hospital visit reminded me that it is my responsibility to take better care of myself and to not depend on Canada’s healthcare system.

Yet you, my friends, can be proactive. And it all starts by supporting those in Congress who oppose Obamacare. The future of the Nation, and perhaps your life, depends on defeating this abomination.

Yours in good times and bad,

–John Myers

Filed Under: Conservative Politics, Personal Liberty Digest™

http://personalliberty.com/2013/09/2...-it-kills-you/