Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

la migra ring tone

Does anyone have this? If you do, would you be willing to email it to me? I would LOVE to have it as my ringtone! Too bad I found out after they already pulled it!

BROWNSVILLE HERALD EXCLUSIVE: Cingular pulls "La Migra" ringtone

SEE WEDNESDAY'S BROWNSVILLE HERALD FOR AN UPDATE ON THIS STORY

By Chris Mahon
    The Brownsville Herald

Cingular Wireless has removed a ringtone listed for sale on its Web site called "La Migra" and apologized for its offensive nature.

In it, a siren is heard, followed by a male voice that says in a southern accent: “Calmate, calmate, this is la migra. Por favor, put the oranges down and step away from the cell phone. I repeat-o, put the oranges down and step away from the telephone-o. I’m deporting you back home-o.”

Walt Sharp, a spokesman for AT&T, part owner of Cingular, would not immediately comment on the product.

“Let me do some inquiring,” he said after listening to it.

Latino issues activists from Brownsville to Washington, D.C. were outraged Tuesday, when they learned Cingular was selling what they considered a racist product.

“It’s horribly offensive and a disgusting thing,” said Brent Wilkes, national executive director of the League of United Latin American Citizens.

The ringtone was no longer available at 5:45 p.m.

After learning about the ringtone, Wilkes said he called AT&T Inc., named “America’s Most Admired Telecommunications Company” by Fortune magazine in February, demanding it be taken off the Web site.

Cingular officials seemed to be caught off guard by their own Web site’s content.

Mark Siegel, the company’s spokesman was nearly speechless after listening to the $2.49 ringtone.

“Oh my goodness, oh my goodness,” he said.

Like AT&T’s Walt Sharp, Siegel said he needed to do some research on the ringtone before offering comments.

In a later interview Tuesday, Siegel said, “We’re in the process of pulling the ringtone and needless to say, we deeply regret and apologize for it ever being there in the first place. The ringtone is blatantly offensive.”

Siegel said the company is reviewing its process of screening ringtones which are created by “a combination of companies that we work with and in-house (staff). But ultimately, Cingular is accountable for it.”

LULAC’s Brent Wilkes was pleased with the company’s apology and that it removed the product from its Web site, but there were still larger issues, he said.

“I don’t think (bigotry) is an official corporate policy, but there’s a legitimate question about corporate America crossing the line.”

Wilkes thought it was “hippocritical” for Cingular to have a Hispanic public relations department and boast of treating customers with respect, while at the same time selling a ringtone telling an immigrant to “put down the oranges.”

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/ts_mor ... 0_10_0_M36[/b]

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar

Re: la migra ring tone

I have a copy of it. PM me if you want it (also tell me what kind of phone you have so I can send it in the correct format).
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

That ringtone is just too funny!! Makes me wish I had a cell phone.
    <div>Want some ICE with that cervesa?</div>

Banned
    I've got a Motorola Nextel. Can I get in on this? I'd love to have it go off while standing next to a customer. My customers don't like illegals either.

Quote Originally Posted by PinestrawGuys
    I've got a Motorola Nextel. Can I get in on this? I'd love to have it go off while standing next to a customer. My customers don't like illegals either.
    You should be able to.

NoIllegalsAllowed,

Man you are great! I'm so happy you have this. Is there a way you can set it up where people can click and listen to it online?

Also, is there a way you can distribute it to lots of people per request without their cell numbers getting out? I have cingular and would like it on my phone. What should I do?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

WAV- http://tinyurl.com/kjejz
    MP3- http://tinyurl.com/gk4ku

That's the La Migra Ringtone Cingular was selling up to yesterday. If you need help getting it onto your cell phone let me know. I will need to know your carrier and phone model.

So we just PM you our carrier and model number and you send it to our phone?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    So we just PM you our carrier and model number and you send it to our phone?

W
    to send it I would need the phone number too.

Update, due to too much traffic on the geocities site geocities has temporarily made it unavailable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast