Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Let Arizona carry out its immigration laws

Let Arizona carry out its immigration laws

Washington Post - Letter to the Editor

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The July 7 editorial "Suing Arizona" included the same flaw as the federal lawsuit it supported: It confused the constitutional "preemption" standard for laws targeting legal immigration with those targeting illegal immigrants. Justice William J. Brennan Jr. led the Supreme Court in three cases in the 1970s and 1980s (and still good law today) that established a lower "rational basis" standard for state laws against illegal immigration.

The Supreme Court does not presume that Congress intended to preempt state illegal immigration laws that are consistent with federal laws. To preempt a consistent state law, Congress must say so expressly. Despite all the verbiage in the Arizona lawsuits, no one can point to Congress having "clearly and manifestly" done so. Instead it's all policy preferences better addressed by Congress, not the courts.

And about that frustration that the federal government hasn't done its job? In a 1976 case upholding California's right to penalize employers of illegal immigrants when the federal government didn't, Justice Brennan wrote that it was the state's "right" to enforce its own laws when the federal government was not "protecting the entire country." The collapse of federal immigration law enforcement inside the borders is not a reason for preempting state laws; it's a reason states can act when the federal government does not.

Barnaby Zall, Rockville

The writer has represented Arizona laws in several lawsuits, including the current litigation discussed in the editorial.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 05475.html

The Obama Regime

The Obama Regime must keep up efforts (or the illusion) to stop enforcement in order to keep Illegals believing there is still a chance at amnesty. The Feds know that once all hope fails that Illegals WILL turn to violence.....
    Its all a show to appease the progressives and illegals, help them save a little face, and make some of them think/believe that if they behave they still have a chance at amnesty.

Re: The Obama Regime

The Obama Regime must keep up efforts (or the illusion) to stop enforcement in order to keep Illegals believing there is still a chance at amnesty. The Feds know that once all hope fails that Illegals WILL turn to violence......
    I don't think the illegals will become any more violent than they already are, but I do think their American La Raza supports will throw some riots.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: The Obama Regime

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman

The Obama Regime must keep up efforts (or the illusion) to stop enforcement in order to keep Illegals believing there is still a chance at amnesty. The Feds know that once all hope fails that Illegals WILL turn to violence......
    I don't think the illegals will become any more violent than they already are, but I do think their American La Raza supports will throw some riots.
    IMO, the courts will throw out the Obama lawsuit. There will be riots in Arizona you can be assured when this happens. I say, let 'em riot. The better to expose them!
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

Just read the entire law suit!

My money is on the FEDS!

Tell you why, deep inside this law suit is a very important wheasel word, called Interstate Commerce!

The feds can make just about anything an issue over this and trust me they will go to the wall on this one.

Just like Prop 187 here in CA the fed killed it also.

Sorry folks, just my own opinion, and I know when the feds WIN Millions of Americans will be really PISSED of more at the federal government and how it is treating it's citizens.

Any and all comments & Opinions and postings by me are considered of my own opinion, and not of any ORG that I belong to! PERIOD!

GR
    Where did mexico get all the money to sue Arizona, if not from Obama who handed over OUR tax dollars to them?

Even the Chamber of Commerce hasn't pipped in to defend the illegal aliens or mexico for some years now.

Something else is going on, something bigger and worse than we could have imagined.

G.W.Bush's scathing approval of Obama is something that should be questioned, when Obama went to the White House long before he was suppose to be there.

Did church going Bush not hear so called reverend wright's slanderous remarks inside what is suppose to be a church of God?

There is a much bigger thing going on here that is a planned effort to destroy America for the advancement of something much more profitable and powerful than any of us can imagine.

They just never expected America's own to fight them as much as we have, because they expected that they could keep doing their deceitful thing against our will, while we did the same thing we've done all along - a few say a lot and a lot say nothing.

Those days are OVER! FOREVER!

America's PATRIOTIC citizens are in it for OUR WIN - and not for no stinking illegal alien's wins, or mexico's wins, or any foreign nation's wins.

Let them build up their own darn nation and then destroy it at their pleasure!

Re: reply

Quote Originally Posted by dregerk
    Just read the entire law suit!

My money is on the FEDS!
    I'll take that bet, 3 to 1 odds ok with you?
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836