Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Letter from TX Rep. Burt Solomons Supporting Ariz. SB 1070

Letter from TX Rep. Burt Solomons Supporting Ariz. SB 1070

Below is a letter I received from my Texas State Representative, Burt Solomons, in response to a letter to him expressing both support for Arizona SB 1070 and the hope that a form of similar enforcement legislation would be considered in Texas. Mr. Solomon's 26th District is part of the Dallas metro area. The Texas legislature meets every second year, and will convene again in 2011. Mr. Solomons faced an unexpected challenge in this year's Republican primary (which he defeated) from a candidate who charged that he had not acted strongly enough to oppose illegal immigration, especially in his capacity as Chairman of the important State Affairs Committee. Mr. Solomon's opponent made these charges to voters in the district though a letter, the text of which I posted here. Thus I am pleased also to post Mr. Solomon's letter expressing his thoughts on SB1070 and other issues surrounding illegal immigration law enforcement.

The State of Texas
    House of Representatives
    Burt Solomons
    District 65

April 29, 2010

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for the correspondence regarding your concern with illegal immigration and in particular passage of SB 1070 in Arizona. Like you, I and several other legislators see the lack of leadership and enforcement from the Federal government as a need for State action. I applaud the steps taken by the Arizona legislature and hope to bring this same type of common sense enforcement to Texas. I echo State Sen. Russell Pearce's (R-Arizona) comments on SB 1070, "takes the handcuffs off of law enforcement and lets them do their job."

Over the last couple of sessions I have worked to bring the same type of enforcement to Texas. I have authored legislation to require proof of legal status to work before the state issues an occupational license to an individual, as well as a resolution allowing the Texas Attorney General to sue the United States federal government for reimbursement of costs spent on illegal aliens by Texas taxpayers under federal mandates. Currently, the Texas legislature is not in session, but I am already preparing legislation to address this important issue to file during the 82nd Legislature.

During the interim, I will continue to follow any developments with the Arizona law as well as track federal contracting requirements, updates, and any expansions of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's E-Verify Program.

In looking at the entire picture, we are keeping a close eye on the progress of the competing measures in the U.S. Congress on immigration. Legislations by both immigration reformers and alien supporters are proposed. Unforutnately, we have seen time and again federal legislation to strengthen border protections stall and die in Washington D.C.

Arizona has taken the first step and we recognize that the time for action is now. During this interim to better propare the Texas State Legislature on this important issue, the House State Affairs committee, which I Chair, has been charged to conduct a study on immigration laws in Texas as well as prepare recommendations to be considered during the 82nd Legislative Session in 2011. We will review such factors as federal laws regarding undocumented immigrants, and evaluate the costs of services and benefits provided to undocumented immigrants by state agencies and local governments. In addition, I will be monitoring the House Elections Committee's interim charge on voter identification - an issue that I have always supported and voted for in previous sessions.

This issue is very important to myself, our district, as well as our State. Arizona proved that we cannot sit idle as the federal govenment continues to do nothing but debate this critical issue. I assure you that during the interim we are doing everything we can to prepare for the next session in hopes that real reforms, like the ones we support, can be passed here in Texas when the Legislature convenes in 2011.

Sincerely,
    Burt Solomoms
    Texas House of Representatives
    District 65

Capitol Office:
    512-463-0478

District Office
    1029 Rosemeade Pkwy., Suite 108
    Carrollton, TX 75007
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks Texas! Very encouraging letter!
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

It is such a shame that the only reason illegal immigration is NOT tackled properly is that that Hispanics are being used for political reasons. it is time to confront the so-called Hispanic leaders and the politicians pandering to them and ask them what exactly they want. It is outrageous that an ethnic group, like the Latinos, are being singled out. It has created xenophobia and the like these hard working people do not deserve. We need to de-couple Hispanics from immigration and we all will be much better for it and we do need to look at the issue of drop out rates and poverty rates in teh Latino community but not because they are a more special ethnicity but because it is teh right thing to do. And no they do not deserve more special treatment as far as being constatntly catered to in their langauge of origin. They like all other immigrants need to learn English and if they want to become Americans they need to learn English and understand that their allegiances are with this country first.

I am an immigrant and now a proud American citizen.

Well stated alamb.