Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

LETTERS: Illegals right to work

June 10, 2007, 10:52PM
    LETTERS
    Illegals' right to work

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Used to it by now
    The workers and immigration attorneys are giving witness to the effects of attrition by enforcement in the Chronicle's June 2 article "Immigration issues reverberate / Lawyers prepare for a wave of business if legislation passes."

Just debating the immigration issue has caused employers who employ illegal aliens to remove the economic enticements responsible for the initial migration.

The best thing is to reduce the supply of jobs for illegals by enforcing the current law. Hefty fines and prison terms for company executives have made an impression on the American business community.

If the 250,000 illegal aliens working in the Houston area comprise a minimum of 50,000 households, that is quite a hefty percentage of the work force. Can you imagine what the costs to Houstonians for services and entitlements are?

What will Houston's share of the $2.4 trillion estimated costs of legalization be?

It's not racist or nativist or bigoted, it's just plain economics.

It is a hard reality that working Americans have already become accustomed to in an economy of multinational corporations and offshore outsourcing.

ROY A. FROST
    Arlington

No rights to work
    People who have come to this country illegally do not have the right to work here.

My son has found it hard to find an entry-level job because he doesn't speak Spanish.

There are no lawn maintenance, building cleaning or gas station or car wash jobs available. As a teenager, these were common jobs for teens. My brother did all of these. I de-tasseled corn and worked on a peach farm. Our parents wanted to teach us the responsibilities of adulthood. We also got a taste of what life would be like if we quit school.

How do we teach our children how to be contributing citizens when all the entry level and summer jobs are taken by undocumented immigrants? The insanity of this is so wrong!

KIM RALL
    Deer Park

Welfare vs. working
    In response to Elaine Kyle's June 6 letter, "Illegals keep our wages low": Many Americans found it easier to make a living from welfare long before the influx of illegal aliens.

I submit that the influx may, in fact, be attributed to the large number of Americans who refuse to take these menial jobs that are available, preferring, instead, to live off welfare.

That could be the cause of the influx of illegals, most of whom are not above working at a labor-intensive job.

FRANK G. SCHLICHT
    Katy

Results of invasion
    I read the Chronicle's article about immigration issues making it harder for illegals to find jobs: Most Americans think that it should be hard for them to find work in a country where they can't even speak the language.

How much harder have they made it for American kids to get summer jobs by this invasion?

DAVID BOWE
    Houston

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/edi ... 75022.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

im surprised these comments made the letters to the editor.
    this stupid paper is so pro illegal that its not even funny