Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Liberal Bias in the Media? Well Duh!

Really, I am shocked!

Time Reporters Admit They Voted for Obama, Hillary
    Photo of Tim Graham.
    By Tim Graham | February 8, 2008 - 09:08 ET

Should liberal reporters bare all on their voting records? Time TV writer James Poniewozik not only declared that he voted for Obama, but that other reporters should do the same: "Writing about election coverage, I have disclosed, probably to the point of tediousness, that I voted for Obama. I think it's a good thing for you to know, but I really do it for me. It's important to me that I have enough perspective to critique campaign coverage whether it works for my candidate or against him. Having you know more about where I'm coming from helps you keep me honest and forces me to police myself."

Time reporter Lisa Takeuchi Cullen did the same: she voted for Hillary. "Last Tuesday, I voted in my state's primary. I'll even tell you who I voted for: Hillary Clinton. I'm a registered Democrat, and I've been voting for nearly 20 years, ever since I came to this country. In past presidential elections, I voted for Kerry, Gore, Clinton and Clinton."
    Story Continues Below Ad ↓

Both Poniewozik and Cullen believe that reporters can vote, and can declare their voting preferences and still gain a reputation for fairness. (They both frankly note that they aren't exactly political reporters, and Cullen finds that the ones who are don't want to declare their ballot-box choices.)

I think that can be true, if reporters truly seek fairness and balance, even people who've worked in Democratic politics. We have praised Tim Russert and Jeff Greenfield on some occasions, for example. It could be that those well-known partisan backgrounds lead journalists to compensate with a greater effort toward fairness. (On the other hand, there's George Stephanopoulos.)

Often, as media watchdogs, we're less concerned about the small private influence each reporter has as an individual on one day in November than about all the other "votes" that they cast for the Democrats on the air, which can have a much greater influence. It means nothing to declare (a la Washington Post editor Len Downie) that one doesn't vote, but then offer in-kind contributions of favorable coverage in your day job.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham ... ma-hillary

Some related stories:

We are biased, admit the stars of BBC News

It was the day that a host of BBC executives and star presenters admitted what critics have been telling them for years: the BBC is dominated by trendy, Left-leaning liberals who are biased against Christianity and in favour of multiculturalism.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

Media is liberal, says Walter Cronkite (8/15/03)

"I believe that most of us reporters are liberal, but not because we consciously have chosen that particular color in the political spectrum."

"More likely it is because most of us served our journalistic apprenticeships as reporters covering the seamier side of our cities -- the crimes, the tenement fires, the homeless and the hungry, the underclothed and undereducated. We reached our intellectual adulthood with daily close-ups of the inequality in a nation that was founded on the commitment to equality for all. So we tend to side with the powerless rather than the powerful."

"If that is what makes us liberals, so be it, just as long as in reporting the news we adhere to the first ideals of good journalism -- that news reports must be fair, accurate and unbiased."
    Link to the Cronkite article is no longer available on the web, it seems - only excerpts.
    "We have decided man doesn't need a backbone any more; to have one is old-fashioned. Someday we're going to slip it back on." - William Faulkner