Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Logansport, Indiana School Bans Flags

Published: May 09, 2006 11:29 am

Flagging controversy

Logansport School Board criticized for Friday administrative decisions at LHS; Sargent defends administrative response

By DAVE KITCHELL

Pharos-Tribune staff writer

Several Logansport parents pledged their allegiance to their high school sons and daughters Monday night and criticized a Logansport High School administrative decision to ban flags from any nation last Friday on the school campus.

While some said the ban on the American flag at the school and asking students to turn patriotic apparel inside out was a “slap in the face” to veterans and American troops, Logansport High School Principal Dr. Terry Sargent defended administrative decisions he said were made in the best interest of the students for their own protection.

The controversy capped a week that began May 1 when 174 of 225 Hispanic students at the school were excused to participate in a national demonstration for immigration rights. Last Friday was Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican holiday depicting victory over the French in the 1862 Battle of Pueblo. School officials had decided in advance to ask students not to bring flags from any nation to school Friday, but some students did. Thirteen students out of nearly 1,300 left and returned home after a demonstration in front of the school entrance was broken up by school officials, Sargent said.

The one-day flag ban led Logansport VFW Post Commander Mike Sims to speak before the school board at its Monday night meeting. Sims appeared with his American Legion hat, wearing a shirt emblazoned with images of the stars and stripes. He said he was asked by many veterans and taxpayers to speak to the board.

“The decision to ban all flags in school, even only for one day, was a slap in the face to those who have served, and are now serving in the armed forces. The American flag may be displayed anyplace in the United States, especially any facility funded through taxpayer revenue,” Sims said before being applauded by school patrons.

Sims said the immigration debate spilled over into Logansport, but led school officials to make a hasty decision when they banned the national symbol in the school.

Sims said he respects the Mexican holiday, but Hispanics must respect the American flag.

“If they are in the United States legally, our flag is now their flag.”

Sims said the American Legion does not condone the draping of the flag on cars or dragging it on the ground.

Sargent, who was not at school Friday because he was asked to recruit new teachers graduating from Indiana State, said in a statement to the board that students were never asked not to wear patriotic clothing, but they were asked at one point to turn patriotic clothing inside out before later being told they could wear their clothing right-side out.

Sargent said school officials heard comments a week ago today from students who thought excused absences for Hispanic students attending the demonstration was unfair, and they were upset.

“By Wednesday an anti-immigration petition was thought to be making the rounds. Additionally, a Hispanic boy came forward and said he had seen the petition and was upset by it,” Sargent said.

With rumors circulating that students were blocking doorways to prevent Hispanic students from entering the school, Sargent said there were concerns, along with discoveries of anti-Hispanic graffiti. Since many Hispanic students brought Mexican flags to school last year, Sargent said the staff wanted to prevent a situation from becoming inflamed. At one point, a Confederate flag was confiscated and returned to a student.

“The tension in the building was palpable,” Sargent said, adding that there was a rumor of a large gang fight after school on Friday.

Decisions were in no way made to disgrace the flag, said Sargent, who said both his father and his grandfather were veterans.

“We would apologize if we gave anyone the impression we were doing anything intentionally unpatriotic or disrespectful to our country’s flag or to this community or anybody who has ever served in military service. It was not our intention to do that.”

Brian McLaughlin, youth pastor at Hillcrest Baptist Church, said the Friday controversy started Monday, but goes beyond Logansport.

“I think the problem is what we’re seeing in this country is we’re going from law to lawlessness,” he said, adding that the country has come to a sad point when its students are asked not to display their own flag.

“We have to be careful not to have reactionary decisions,” he said.

Ronnie Van Duyne questioned why high school students were not allowed to bring American flags to school when a Mexican flag was displayed in the Columbia Middle School reading room.

Julie Moore said her own son, who was one of the students involved in the controversy at the high school, was treated for pink eye Monday, but she received reports that his name was called after every class period Monday at the school. She told the board she does not want her son to be harassed because he agreed to be interviewed by the media.

April Lawrence said she told her son to wear a rebel shirt with the Confederate flag.

“I don’t necessarily like what the rebel shirt stands for, but I made him wear it to prove a point. This is America. He should have the right to wear any kind of flag he wants to wear.”

But Julia Iles told the board she questions the motives of the students and parents.

“I have a problem with people who have an agenda and they hide behind their patriotism or religion and they use that for an excuse for undermining.”

Brian McAllister, a veteran, told the board he, too, has concerns.

“I was very disturbed to learn that there was some discussion about the American flag being banned. I would say as a veteran that served 24 years in the military, the proudest I ever was when I flew my flag on my airplane in foreign countries. I was proud to display that flag. I just hope it never comes to the day when this flag is banned anywhere in this country, especially at a school that is supported by taxpayer money.

“I’m not against other cultures or other people, but what I have a problem with is people who come here, especially illegally, and want us to change.”

One couple, Michael and Deb Small, who have a sophomore son at LHS, said having to pick up their son from school for being involved in the controversy by wearing patriotic clothing should not have happened. Mike Small said his wife had to leave her job to pick up her son so he would not be suspended. Calmly, Small said he has some problems with the issues involved.

“It is because of our military folks that Hispanics can march in this country.”

Deb Small said she served in the military, and taking allegiance to the flag is a moving thing. She said many Hispanics are protesting, but few are serving the United States in the war against terror in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Students Will Zellers and Justin McDaniel, who displayed American flags, told the board they meant no disrespect to the flag by putting it on a car.

Another Logansport resident, Dave Oresik, said he hopes the school corporation can learn from the incident and move forward.

Board member Mark Hetz said he personally is uneasy with some of the comments made about Hispanics. Hetz said he has a part-time employee who “has gone through a lot” to come to the country.

Board member Matt Gotshall said it is hard for the board members or the parents to question what led administrators to decisions.

“If you’re standing in gasoline and people are walking around you with matches ...” Gotshall said.

Pat McNarny, another board member, said in speaking with Milt Cole Monday, he agreed with his assessment. The community grows through bad experiences, McNarny said, not necessarily through good ones.

Board President Bill Tincher said the situation can be blamed in part of the failure of “boneheads” in Congress to not address the immigration issue.

Board member Dan Slusser asked Assistant Principal Greg Grostefon and Matt Jones, who was involved with revisions to the Columbia and Lincoln middle school handbooks, to include revisions in policy that give administrators some guidelines to go by in the future if similar situations arise.

Who is in comtrol?

Doesn't this just beat all. These illegal third world refugees from a third world toilet invade our country like cockroaches in an area when the lights are turned off. They protest in our streets demanding rights that millions of veterans like myself have fought for, and for which some have died to protect, preserve, and defend for AMERICANS. These sickening pieces of illegal alien tic turd and their advocates have the audacity to defame, defile, and protest against the very symbols that represent the land that these parasitic bugs illegaly enter and sponge off from. It is a sad day when the government and local officials allow the rantings from a few illegal aliens from a third world planet to dictate the display of our most sacred symbol.

It almost makes me cry because I feel like it is a slap in the face to all who have served this country, fought and died in wars and this is the graditude our nation shows. I am so concerned that this is going to end up with violence in our schools and on our streets. It is beginning to look like a civil war inside our country and all because our government wants to bow down to corporate america.

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    They're excused from attending schools that us taxpayers pay for to celebrate a foreign holiday celebrating a defeat of the French. What about Americans of French Ancestry who may be offended. I doubt they celebrate this holiday in Montreal...
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    Contact the principal. Fax and e-mail him pictures of the American Flag. Call him and complain.

Dr. Terry Sargent, Principal
    Phone (574) 753-0441 x4231
    Fax (574) 753-3688
    Email sargentt@lcsc.k12.in.us

also give the town's mayor some lip too (574) 753-2551
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

I Emailed him.

I lived in Indiana for 30 years. All three of our sons attended school in Indiana. Absolutely no one could have convinced me this was possible years ago, but now it is happening. Don't they get it? The American flag enjoys special privilege over all other flags in our country. You cannot use the excuse you are maintaining the peace by removing the US flag. Why not just say it causes people to be upset to see the American flag fly over the US Capitol. If displaying the flag causes problems, then you just have to deal with the problems. But not by removing the flag.

I proudly served in the Army. And I wear a ball cap with the American flag every place I go. No one is going to stop me from wearing our flag anywhere in this USA.....ever!

PS. If my boys were still in school there I would have told them they could wear the American flag to school. I would have told the school they had two options...let them wear the flag or expel them. No other options.

I am deeply saddened to read this. I grew up in this small farming community before moving to CA in 1973. I'm beginning to think something has been put in the water to make people act like idots.
    Work together for the benefit of all mankind

so sad.

I just emailed him, also.

What a shame it's come to this. Can't he see the big picture? That's a rhetorical question.

We MUST have standards to live up to....

P.S.my brother was a Marine.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Sawdust, can we get the link to this story please.

Thanks!
    Vmama
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast