Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Be On The Look-OUT: April 10th is a Big Rally Day!

Thanks to our media for promoting the protests.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 60887.html

Local immigrant-rights and labor group activists and organizations are planning a march and rally in Houston on April 10, when mass protests are expected in cities across the country.

That date, a Monday, "will be around the time that both the House and the Senate bills will be in Congress. And around that time, members of Congress will be in recess and back home. It's a way for community members to really voice their opinion," said Maricela Donahue, field organizer with Community for Change, a Washington-based organization that coordinates grass-roots movements.

The organization is hosting the site www.April10.org, which went live Thursday and is intended to be a central point for the national organization.

Longtime Houston activist Maria Jimenez said the event will culminate what are "now very spontaneous movements."

"I would say that if the kids could bring out a thousand students, then there's no reason for us not to bring out 20, 30 or 40,000 people," said Angela Mejia, an organizer with the Houston chapter of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees and one of the leaders of the local protest.

During the past week, high school students here and nationwide have walked out of schools in protest of the House bill, which would impose criminal penalties on illegal immigrants and employers who hire them.

Massive marches and rallies have taken place in Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington, among other cities. So far, there have been no reported counter-protests, but more marches, rallies and even sit-ins are expected in the next week.

Organizers expect the mass movement April 10 to be a multiethnic and multinational coalition that includes the support of scores of large, well-established organizations — such as the AFL-CIO, National Association of Latino Elected Officials, League of United Latin American Citizens and People for the American Way — and smaller community groups and students.

"It's very similar to types of activities that you saw and types of collaborations you saw" during the civil rights era, Donahue said.

Organizers, who are now working out the details for April 10, hope other marchers will join from neighborhoods around the city.

Former city councilman and immigration attorney Gordon Quan, who attended an organizational meeting on Wednesday said, "It's not just a Latino issue. It's broad-based." A similar meeting, but in Spanish, was held on Thursday.

"I really want to get a multiethnic community out there — Asian-Americans, African-Americans," Quan said, adding that he's spoken to Pakistani and Indian community members who are closely watching the issue of immigration reform.

The national plan for mass protests on April 10 "has been something that has really come to fruition in the last few weeks," said Donahue, and "was fueled by people's resentment and really the desperation that people are currently under."

Marches also are expected in, among other places, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Louis and Miami, according to the April 10 Web site.

"If this does not work," Mejia said, "we're looking at boycotts."

They have been notifying people in the Hispanic forums (Univision.com)
    I believe I posted something to the effect a few days ago.
    "We have room for but one flag, the American flag" - Theodore Roosevelt

Univision should clearly lose their broadcasting license. They are doing the equivalent of a station broadcasting go out and use heroin. There are users and there are suppliers it is a real billion dollar industry but the violation of the immigration laws is still violation of the laws.
    If you feel hat the law should be changed then legislate to do so. You do not use something which is a priveledge from the American people (as a whole) to violate them.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I agree with you 100%; they even discuss how to buy houses with phony social securities & marrying just to get the papers.
    Here's a link I just found at Univision.com immigration forums
    http://www.april10.org/
    "We have room for but one flag, the American flag" - Theodore Roosevelt

Here is the company history, I know they make a ton of money in advertising. I use to work in the TV biz and I can safely say that those guys would sell their mother to make a buck...it's really sleezy!

http://www.univision.net/corp/en/history.jsp

They were supposed to hold a rally here in Tucson this morning honoring Cesar Chavez' birthday and the news reported that there was barely a mention of him at the 7000 strong rally this morning.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...