Dobbs abducted by aliens: Politics is making a strange bedfellow of Lou

Editorials

Sunday, November 29th 2009, 4:00 AM

Lou Dobbs may be getting into politics, but first politics is getting into Lou Dobbs.

For years, from his perch as CNN's angriest man, Dobbs was an anti-illegal-immigration crusader and the scourge of anyone who proposed giving the undocumented a path to legalization.

A typical commentary from April 2007: "The Bush administration and the leadership of the Democratic Party are preparing to take another legislative leap at imposing a massive illegal alien amnesty on American citizens."

But now that Dobbs is contemplating a run for U.S. Senate from Hispanic-heavy New Jersey - or even, yikes, the White House - Howard Beale has gone touchy feely. Witness his Friday interview with the Spanish network Telemundo: "I can tell you right now that I am one of your greatest friends and I mean for us to work together."

And: "We need the ability to legalize illegal immigrants under certain conditions."

And: "What isn't working is a penalty to those who are in this country illegally for whom we can both be building a bridge to the future in which there is legalization and at the same time constructing an environment in which everyone is clear and unequivocal about the need for border security and a regulated flow of immigration."

There is a silver lining. At least the man is somersaulting in the right direction.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/200 ... _lou_.html