Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Maher, Griffin, Colbert: Anti-Trump comedians are having a really bad moment

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Maher, Griffin, Colbert: Anti-Trump comedians are having a really bad moment

Maher, Griffin, Colbert: Anti-Trump comedians are having a really bad moment

By Callum Borchers June 3 at 10:48 AM

A racial slur. A homophobic joke. A mock beheading.

Anti-Trump comedians are having a moment — and not the good kind.

Bill Maher used the n-word in a Friday-night interview with Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), joining Kathy Griffin and Stephen Colbert on Over-the-Line Mount Rushmore. (There's room for a fourth and, at the rate we're going, it won't be long before another face is chiseled on.)

A conversation between Maher and Sasse about the senator's new book veered wildly off-topic, as these late-night chats tend to do, and arrived at the subject of adults dressing up for Halloween in California.

“We don't do that quite as much,” Sasse said of grown-ups in his home state. That led to this:

MAHER: I've got to get to Nebraska more.

SASSE: You're welcome. We'd love to have you work in the fields with us.

MAHER: Work in the fields? Senator, I'm a house n----r.

Visibly uncomfortable, Sasse seemed unsure how to respond and said nothing.

“No, it's a joke,” Maher said, breaking the silence. Some audience members laughed. The interview went on.

Sasse later tweeted that he should have spoken up in protest.

Maher's epithet was not delivered in the context of a commentary on President Trump, but the HBO host is known as one of Trump's fiercest and longest-running critics. Trump sued Maher over a joke in 2013.

For Trump supporters, often accused of harboring hateful sentiments or backing a president who does, the Maher episode is further evidence that liberals can be just as bad. Griffin and Colbert already supplied exhibits A and B.

Last month, Colbert said of the president: “The only thing your mouth is good for is being Vladimir Putin's c--- holster.”

At best, it was a vulgar remark. At worst, the shot at Trump doubled as an affront to gays.

“For the record, life is short, and anyone who expresses their love in their own way is, to me, an American hero,” Colbert said on “The Late Show” a couple nights later. “I think we can all agree on that. I hope even the president and I can agree on that. Nothing else. But that.”

The FCC scrutinized Colbert's joke after receiving complaints from viewers but decided not to penalize the CBS host.

This week, Griffin posed for a photo, holding a bloody Trump mask by the hair. The gruesome image enraged the president and his family, and drew widespread condemnation — even from Trump detractors.

CNN cut ties with Griffin, who had co-hosted the cable channel's New Year's Eve special since 2007. Griffin apologized but also has cast herself as a victim of rhetorical attacks in the aftermath.

As I wrote after Colbert used “c--- holster” on the air, antics like these are the exact opposite of the Michelle Obama maxim: “When they go low, we go high.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ba11b23e1536
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

That is awful. Maher should be fired for this "joke". The arrogance to think he can use that awful word in 2017 as a joke on network television is just unbelievable. Can you imagine what the man says at home and with his friends if he thinks saying that on national television is okay? Lord. Just give them enough rope, these hypocrite racists hang themselves.

Sasse didn't do well, a man who was never at a loss to criticize Trump can't decide what to say or do in a response to a racial remark during an interview to promote his book? You can almost read his mind .... "if I say something, it might hurt my book sales, if I don't say something I'll be criticized for being a weakling."

Sasse, you're a cowardly dweeb.
    Last edited by Judy; 06-03-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member 6 Million Dollar Man's Avatar
    And the Democrats call us Republicans racists. That's ok though, because people are starting to see the real face of Democrats. The Democrats losing the election is making them vicious, like a cornered animal, and their true nature is coming to the surface.

The DemoQuacks are Rabid Reptiles, the ugliest sickest wacko birds I've ever seen in politics. I wouldn't trust them to pet sit let alone run our government or represent the interests of the American People. I've honestly never seen anything like it in my life time.

Bill Maher apologizes after HBO calls his use of N-word on his show 'inexcusable'

By Edmund DeMarche
    Published June 03, 2017
    Fox News

Bill Maher apologized Saturday for using a racial slur on his HBO show "Real Time" as the cable network responded to growing backlash after the host used the N-word, with the network calling his comment “inexcusable.”

Maher wrote in a statement Saturday that he regrets using the slur to refer to himself as a house slave during a segment on his show Friday night. He wrote that he slept poorly Friday night after realizing he shouldn't have made the remark.

Maher was having a back-and-forth with Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb., when the senator invited the liberal talk-show host to visit his state.

“We’d love to have you work in the fields with us,” Sasse joked.

Maher responded, “Work in the fields? Senator, I’m a house [expletive].”

Some in the audience groaned and a few clapped. Maher appeared to quickly reassure the audience and said, “No, it’s a joke.”

“Bill Maher’s comment last night was completely inexcusable and tasteless," HBO officials told the Hollywood Reporter. “We are removing his deeply offensive comment from any subsequent airings of the show.”

The New York Times reported that the word was not cut out during HBO’s rebroadcast at midnight.

Sasse did not address the comment and the two moved on to another subject. Sasse faced some criticism on social media for not quickly condemning the host’s comments.

Deray Mckesson, an activist for Black Lives Matter, took to Twitter, saying, “But really, @BillMaher has got to go. There are no explanations that make this acceptable.”

Maher was criticized last month for comments he made about President Trump and his daughter Ivanka.

The host made his most recent controversial comments the same week Kathy Griffin faced fallout for a video showing her posing with a likeness of Trump’s severed head.

Griffin said the video was meant to be a pointed comeback to Trump's remark last summer that journalist Megyn Kelly had "blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of wherever."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...se-n-word.html

Oh, it was HBO ... not a network, still, Maher has to go or every American should cancel HBO subscription.

As the Black Lives Matter representative said:

Deray Mckesson, an activist for Black Lives Matter, took to Twitter, saying, “But really, @BillMaher has got to go. There are no explanations that make this acceptable.”
    Correct, there are none.