Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

coz

Why is it that our Congressmen can sit out on a vote? They are elected to vote. Voting is part of their job. By not voting they aren't doing what they were elected (hired) to do. If I don't do what I'm hired to do what happens? I get fired. Hmmm

Barkway's
    Mel Martinez did not even BOTHER to vote on the amendment declaring English as the offical language of the US. What a coward! HE didn't want to lose any potential votes from supporters and opponents so he very conveniently did not vote. Sorry Mel, to me that is the same as having voted NO. If you can't be present to vote for something as important as the official language of our country, you're lazy and a coward
    Barkway, you said it all. If George Bush hadn't been on TV every five minutes in Florida just before the 2004 elections telling everyone to vote for him, he would have never won.

Well guess what, Mel. Start packin Poppy, you're going home on election day.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Let's not forget during the Terri Schiavo ordeal that his top aide sent him a "written message" that got intercepted which said the "this could have big political implications".

Get rid of this creeping, crawling creature from Florida ! Vote him OUT in 2008 Floridians !!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by coz
    Why is it that our Congressmen can sit out on a vote? They are elected to vote. Voting is part of their job. By not voting they aren't doing what they were elected (hired) to do. If I don't do what I'm hired to do what happens? I get fired. Hmmm
    Good point Coz.

As for Florida's senators...well lets just say I am disappointed in both of them. I too received only form letters back from my e-mails and faxes. The way I see it is that if they don't have the time to address my concerns I don't have the time to vote for them come election day!
    As for Sen. Nelson we couldn't get much of an answer out of him face to face in a town hall meeting much less an answer to an e-mail. This man doesn't even remember what he votes for or doesn't. I was amazed....and distressed
    What Goes Around Comes Around

Well Floridians we have a problem. I am looking for other options here. Nelson is up in November and Harris is running against him.

They are both terrible on the immigration issue. What are your thoughts?

Have been pondering that dilemma myself.

As of yet don'' have a solution.. It would seem our choices are limited.

And you are right...boh are terrible on immigration
    What Goes Around Comes Around

This guy panders to all the Cubans here in Miami. You want to know about the "Hispanic Influence", look no further. They brag how you must know spanish and be from the island to get a job.
    You go into one of their stores in Little Havana and they ignore you.
    They treat you like crap.
    One of them was driving around on May 1 (May Day) with her Cuban flag decal on her bumper and the American Flag hanging upside down from her car window. I told the commie if that how she felt,she should go back to her "worker's paradise". Alot of them are like that down here. Ungrateful; we owe them. William J. Price

williamprice wrote:
    This guy panders to all the Cubans here in Miami. You want to konw about the "Hispanic Influences", look no further. They brag how you must know spanish and be from the island to get a job.
    You go into one of their stores in Little Havana and they ignore you.
    They treat you like crap.
    One of them was driving around on May 1 (May Day) with her Cuban flag decal and the American Flag hanging upside down. I told this commie if that how she felt, go back to your "worker's paradise". Alot of them are like that down here. William J. Price
    WP hits the nail on the head on this one. Having been born and raised in Miami, I know just what he is talking about (don't live there anymore, probably still am too close). Assimilation is at one's free will rather than being enforced. They got lazy and didn't bother to learn English. The ones that did learn English use it as least as possible. Martini, Diaz-Bafoon and any other latin elected official have always looked out for their latin brothers more so than looking out for Americans in general. Some can say that that's how the immigrant gains control to accomplish what they want, which is acceptable to a point. But did Mel vote down amnesty knowing what its consequences to the American culture could be--of course not. Did Alex Penelas, once Mayor of Miami, did he back our federal agencies when it came time to reunite Elias with his father--of course not. Not even the mayor had assimilated correctly. Always putting the race in front of allegiance! This is all you can expect from here.

Yes he does pander to them and he and Jeb prefer hispanic busines owners over American ones giving them every opportunity there is.
    Mel Martinez was the Secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development. He probably didn't vote on this for fear of losing his standing with Hispanic voters and perhaps even business support.

Candidates diverge on thorny immigration issues
    Harris has backed a tough House bill while Nelson leans toward a bipartisan compromise.
    By WES ALLISON, Times Staff Writer
    Published May 18, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON - When Rep. Katherine Harris considers the illegal immigrants working the fields of southwest Florida or marching near the U.S. Capitol, she sees lawbreakers profiting from a broken immigration system and porous borders that could easily allow terrorists into the country.

She has voted to send most of them home.

Sen. Bill Nelson, the Democrat she hopes to replace, sees a broken system that needs fixing, too. But he says many of the estimated 12-million illegal immigrants in the country provide crucial labor to the construction, agriculture and service industries - staples of Florida's economy.

He favors a bill that would allow many to stay and work.

After a series of nationwide protests by immigrants against a tough House bill that Harris backed, the Senate this week renewed debate over comprehensive immigration reform, the most ambitious legislation Congress will attempt this year.

As Nelson and Harris hit the campaign trail and encounter voters concerned about illegal immigration, a look at the candidates' votes, legislation and remarks show voters have a distinct choice. They are alike on some aspects of comprehensive immigration reform, divergent on others.

But both also are trying to strike a delicate political balance that, in the end, may make their positions more similar than different.

Nelson says he will likely support the bipartisan compromise crafted by fellow Florida Sen. Mel Martinez, a Republican, that would allow illegal immigrants who have been here at least five years to stay, provided they work, pay back taxes, and meet other conditions. Eventually they could seek citizenship.

The bill would add thousands of border patrol and customs agents, and require businesses to verify their employees are legal. The latest version, expected to reach a Senate vote by next week, also includes an amendment that Nelson proposed last month to use high-tech aerial and electronic surveillance to monitor borders.

"Merging these two goals together, to get these people out of the shadows, working and paying taxes - which they are not - is what we need to do," Nelson told about 40 people in Brooksville last week. "And at the same time, patrol borders."

Under the Martinez bill, those here two to five years could get a temporary work permit and eventually seek permanent residency. Those here less than two years must leave.

It also would expand the so-called guest worker program, allowing more permits for seasonal jobs in agriculture and other industries. Business groups, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and agriculture associations, favor the bill because it would allow a large pool of workers to remain in the country. They are lobbying Nelson to support it.

"We've been waiting for immigration reform for 10 years," said Sharon Hughes, executive vice-president of the National Council of Agriculture Employers, which represents farm groups.

"It's gotten to the point now with the shortage of not only legal workers, but the shortage of workers, period, we've got to have relief now."

Nelson also backs a bipartisan bill, called the DREAM Act, that would make it easier for the children of illegal immigrants to attend college. But moderate Democrats are wary of appearing too permissive toward illegal immigrants, and Nelson has been vocal in the need for tougher border security as well. He sponsored a bill aimed at MS-13, a Central American gang , that would bar entry to anyone suspected of gang activity.

He also has offered an amendment that would increase detention space for illegal immigrants caught in the United States, so officials can hold them until they're deported. Now, thousands are given a hearing date and released.

"They are here illegally, and what do you know - we don't have the detention space in which to process them," Nelson said on the Senate floor recently. "They are released. ... Guess what happens? They completely disappear."

Harris' approach to immigration has focused on law and order.

In December, she voted for the controversial House bill, H.R. 4437, that would make illegal immigrants felons and make it a felony to help them.

The bill would also beef up border security, and penalize businesses that hire undocumented workers. Illegal immigrants who are caught would be deported.

It makes no provisions for illegal immigrants to earn permanent residency, nor does it provide additional guest worker permits for some industries where the labor force could be cut short.

"This legislation takes the necessary first steps to strengthen our borders, prevent terrorist attacks, improve our efforts to curb illegal immigration, and reasserts our commitment to the rule of law," Harris, a member of the Homeland Security Committee, said after the House passed the bill in December.

Most Florida Republicans in the House voted for it, too. Harris also has sponsored her own bill to enhance border security and cooperation among the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Her support for the House bill, written by Judiciary Chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., is popular with many of the Republican activists who attended her rallies in North Florida recently. But it also put her at odds with much of the state's business community, including powerful tourism and agricultural interests, as well as Sen. Martinez, Gov. Jeb Bush, and President Bush.

Business and farm lobbyists hope to persuade her to back a more lenient bill, such as Martinez's.

"She comes from an ag family, so certainly based on the family history in agriculture she understands the critical nature of having an available work force," said Ray Gilmer, public affairs director for the Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association.

On the campaign trail, Harris emphasized security and raised the specter of terrorists slipping across the Mexican border. Like Nelson, she's concerned that captured illegal immigrants are often released.

"We have no idea where they are," Harris said. "Ladies and gentlemen, some of those Middle Easterners and others that cross the border - anyone who cares more about our death than their own life - is a serious threat."

She has declined to discuss the Martinez bill, saying she didn't want to comment on pending legislation. She also has voiced no support for allowing illegal immigrants who have worked in the country for years to become permanent legal residents, as the Martinez bill would allow.

But she said immigrants are an important part of the economy, and she supports allowing them to work here temporarily, a position that could satisfy the get-tough cravings of conservative voters as well as agriculture interests that rely on seasonal pickers.

In an interview, she acknowledged that the House bill was only "half the equation."

"We have to find a way to allow this temporary work force that is well documented in terms of identification the ability to work here," she said.

Times staff writers Bill Adair, Chandra Broadwater and Elena Lesley contributed to this report.
    http://www.sptimes.com/2006/05/18/State ... e_on.shtml

Like I said before Martinez and Jeb are all for Hispanic business so their support for Harris naturally will not be there.

Her support for the House bill, written by Judiciary Chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., is popular with many of the Republican activists who attended her rallies in North Florida recently. But it also put her at odds with much of the state's business community, including powerful tourism and agricultural interests, as well as Sen. Martinez, Gov. Jeb Bush, and President Bush.
    Even though they are on the opposite side of the political fence Martinez and Nelson are crafting a gulf drilling deal hoping it will keep oil rigs from Florida's coast
    Of course we know that the hispanics voted for George and now that Harris is running and they don't like what she has to say in immigration, the Rep. don't favor her. Martinez and Jeb want Allan Bense to run against her.
    Here is a bit on him..
    Republicans are always complaining that Democrats place an undue tax burden on citizens because they don’t trust the American people to spend their hard-earned money wisely. Well, in Florida the Republicans have taken this idea to the maximum level of hypocrisy imaginable. House Speaker, Republican Allan Bense, is trying to use American tax-payer dollars to challenge and nullify a citizen ballot initiative that would mandate redistricting by a neutral committee appointed by the Florida Supreme Court. He is literally trying to use American tax-payer dollars to directly OPPOSE the will of the people. You would think that a prominent member of the legislature would be worried that his constituents may be outraged by his despicable attempt to use $50,000 of their money to hire lawyers to defeat the will of the people in court. But then again, if he succeeds in defeating this initiative, he (or at least another member of his party) pretty much has ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE OF LOSING!!! His district is rigged, just like all the others, and he would pretty much have to become entangled in some kind of outrageous sex-scandal or commit a felony and become a fugitive in order to make it possible that someone else could be elected. We desperately need redistricting if we have any hope of preserving our Democratic process. If no incumbents can lose, why even have elections? In fact, that is exactly what is happening in Florida. There were very few contested seats in the past election. Potential candidates are resigned to the fact that they have no chance of winning, so why run? Not a single incumbent lost in the last election
    So it looks like the odds are pretty good for Bense. Its no wonder that he and other Republicans are opposing this citizens ballot initiative. The current system ensures that they stay in power, and that their re-election campaign is a piece of cake. And if you can eliminate the people’s right to propose a constitutional amendment or ballot initiative, then you pretty much are set for life. You have nothing to fear from the people you disenfranchise because they can’t even vote you out of office because the elections are rigged by computer simulations and demographics. Wow…no accountability, no way to remove corrupt officials from office. Sounds a little but like a dictatorship to me. A dictatorship of incumbents.

I guess it’s only human nature to maintain the status quo if you are on the winning side. I wouldn’t expect the Republicans to embrace redistricting with open arms. I wouldn’t even be shocked if they used their own money to oppose the amendment. BUT to use tax-payer dollars against the people who have paid them to hinder their Democratic rights is unacceptable. It is quintessentially Un-American—even by Republican standards.
    http://hcs.harvard.edu/dems/blog/2005/1 ... .html#more

Then there is William McBride who is immigration lawyer (that should jump right out at you)closely tied to the Evangelical Christian movement, and a close friend of Karl Rove

Peter Monroe is a friend of Cheney's. He is a developer who helped manage the government's savings and loan bailout. Don't know to much about him....

This may be an interesting site to check as long as we are on the subject of Florida...just came by it when I heard that Jeb was honored at a dinner for Scientolgist.
    Clearwatergate: US politics and Scientology
    http://home.snafu.de/tilman/politics.html

FLORIDA POLITICIANS, GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS Scientology & SCIENTOLOGY

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/sp/FLA.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast